By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Senate passes National Defense Authorization bill - discussion about it being blocked?

Mr Khan said:
Why is it that congress can only agree on things that are unequivocally bad like this and SOPA? There's all the world of difference between assertive defense policy and outright criminal behavior

One wonders if the only ones left we can trust are the Supreme Court

With the prospects of things going really bad, it looks like the government is going to try to grab power to shut down things that would cause beneficial change in the name of public interest.

Around the Network

America is realy turning into the country potrayed in Starship trooper movie.
Do you want to know more?

Lol, I hope we do not stop using tanks and resort to suicidal soviet style mass charges against fixed enemy positions ^^^

Mr Khan said:
Why is it that congress can only agree on things that are unequivocally bad like this and SOPA? There's all the world of difference between assertive defense policy and outright criminal behavior

Wonder if you'll feel that way after the Healthcare law goes up for trial.  It can be ruled the other way (as some lower courts as) but it seems pretty crazy that not only can congress regulate all commerce anywhere now... but in fact regulate the lack of commerce by forcing people to buy something.  Car Insurance is difference because you don't HAVE to buy car insurance, but only do so if you want to drive.  While health insurance you have to buy only if you plan... to live?

That said though, i'd base in on the fact that both political parties at heart have one thing in common. 

The desire for power.

I heard a funny quote on Civ 5 today.

"The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency."
The second part?

"An efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty."

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Wonder if you'll feel that way after the Healthcare law goes up for trial.  It can be ruled the other way (as some lower courts as) but it seems pretty crazy that not only can congress regulate all commerce anywhere now... but in fact regulate the lack of commerce by forcing people to buy something.  Car Insurance is difference because you don't HAVE to buy car insurance, but only do so if you want to drive.  While health insurance you have to buy only if you plan... to live?

That said though, i'd base in on the fact that both political parties at heart have one thing in common. 

The desire for power.

The second part?

Oh, i disagree with the Supreme Court on a fair few things (damn corporate personhood), but it still seems as though they are a more reliable institution because they actually follow the laws in which they are supposed to operate, whereas it seems more and more that with congress its about how much of the law they can break before they get caught and have to reign it in, and that this is an attitude that rides across partisan lines and never seems to be used for good

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

wheres the realmofo when you need him?

not sure what else to say!

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

The desire for power.

The second part?

Oh, i disagree with the Supreme Court on a fair few things (damn corporate personhood), but it still seems as though they are a more reliable institution because they actually follow the laws in which they are supposed to operate, whereas it seems more and more that with congress its about how much of the law they can break before they get caught and have to reign it in, and that this is an attitude that rides across partisan lines and never seems to be used for good

Yeah, I don't disagree with that.  It goes the same with the presidents... what annoys me most about Obama is largely that he didn't repeal a single thing under bush he said he was going to... and has gone even farther then bush on vioalting other nations borders without permission.

What can you do.