By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

PS4 rumour: 1gb reserved for OS/Background tasks, devs have access to 7gb

That's the minimum I was considering they'd restrict after seeing the Feb20th event. 7GB is more than enough and likely more than what MS will leave open for games use.

lol You even created a thread about the increase in RAM of PS4 was because the OS and background stufs...

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
superchunk said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

PS4 rumour: 1gb reserved for OS/Background tasks, devs have access to 7gb

That's the minimum I was considering they'd restrict after seeing the Feb20th event. 7GB is more than enough and likely more than what MS will leave open for games use.

lol You even created a thread about the increase in RAM of PS4 was because the OS and background stufs...

I don't understand your post. If your quote is somehow calling me out for something, then I don't follow you. But if  you are instead supporting me in calling it awhile back, then thanks!

superchunk said:

I don't understand your post. If your quote is somehow calling me out for something, then I don't follow you. But if  you are instead supporting me in calling it awhile back, then thanks!

You was considering 2GB or more for OS... 1GB is way lower than what you expected... so your comment is funny... nothing to be upset .

ethomaz said:

superchunk said:

You was considering 2GB or more for OS... 1GB is way lower than what you expected... so your comment is funny... nothing to be upset .

Oh, yeah. I did bet on 2GB but I've had in OP since feb20th a range of 1GB to 2GB. 1GB as min but I expected 2 or maybe more. Figured HD video recording would take more.

You were even considering it would use 4GBs for the OS superchunk, and repeatedly rebuked others who claimed the lower amounts such as 512MB or 1GB. I think you just overestimated the memory demand the background functionality would have and overshot. Please save the "I called it" card on something else.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

superchunk said:

Oh, yeah. I did bet on 2GB but I've had in OP since feb20th a range of 1GB to 2GB. 1GB as min but I expected 2 or maybe more. Figured HD video recording would take more.

I think you missed that in GDC.

"Encoder and video decoder hardware-based is on the tip of a separate. Therefore, resources needed for the game I do not use any and all bandwidth and CPU as well. Memories never (to capture the video play) using any" and SCEA explains.

Encoding video of game play will not be performed in the APU. I can look at all the work, and takes place in a completely different chip. 

The video recording feature uses nothing... any CPU, any CPU, any memory from the main system. 

superchunk said:
ethomaz said:

superchunk said:

Did you have that in the OP? Originally it was thought 512MB to 1GB back when we though the PS4 had only 4GBs right?

ethomaz said:

superchunk said:

I think you missed that in GDC.

"Encoder and video decoder hardware-based is on the tip of a separate. Therefore, resources needed for the game I do not use any and all bandwidth and CPU as well. Memories never (to capture the video play) using any" and SCEA explains.

Encoding video of game play will not be performed in the APU. I can look at all the work, and takes place in a completely different chip. 

Do you think that chip will have its own DDR3 RAM for that?

EDIT: or eDRAM whatever RAM I can't remember to write right now.

Chark said:

Do you think that chip will have its own DDR3 RAM for that?

I think the chip have a cheaper small flash memory... or the ARM just write directly to HDD... no main RAM needed.

My cellphone record videos in 1080p direcly to the mini-SD card without problems.

Just to added everything I read about the PS4 addicinal chip (ARM)... Sony just free up the CPU, GPU and memory to be used only the game itself.

• "Encoder and video decoder hardware-based is on the tip of a separate. Therefore, resources needed for the game I do not use any and all bandwidth and CPU as well. Memories never (to capture the video play) using any" and SCEA explains.

• Then, this shows that there is a possibility that the screen output from the APU is output to the display via the secondary tip once. That is, in the PS4, display output interface instead APU, may have been mounted on the secondary chip. I put out via the secondary chip screen output, you will also be easy to encode the screen buffer inside the secondary chip. If you were thinking of course, but can also be sent to the secondary chip on a separate line with output from the APU, and the output from the secondary chip I'm more natural.
  • If we take such a configuration, even the secondary chip, a certain amount or more of memory and a microcontroller or processor cores is required. I put the CPU cores along the reverse, can be performed only by a secondary chip various things you will be easier. Although costs piling up into chips and external memory, because it is difficult to limit the foundry also in eDRAM, hard to guess what's going on.