By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

yeah I hope Ninty are focusing more on games and not fitness stuff like Wii Fit or that dreaded Wii music, E3 2008 was the reason why I bought an Xbox 360 lol

Around the Network
superchunk said:
  • PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it/not on devs. Start at any time; no special mode.

Nice, so all PS4 games can be streamed onto Vita then?

hinch said:
superchunk said:
  • PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it/not on devs. Start at any time; no special mode.

That's what it sounds like. Most interesting part of that though, is that it can be done over the internet and not just the wifi connection to the console like WiiUs gamepad.

Meaning, instead of being limited to my home with the gamepad, Vita could potentially allow real home console games while out and about; given there is a solid wifi connection.

superchunk said:
hinch said:
superchunk said:

That's what it sounds like. Most interesting part of that though, is that it can be done over the internet and not just the wifi connection to the console like WiiUs gamepad.

Meaning, instead of being limited to my home with the gamepad, Vita could potentially allow real home console games while out and about; given there is a solid wifi connection.

Oh right.. that sounds pretty cool :)

I just hope latency won't be an issue.

superchunk said:
hinch said:
superchunk said:

sony found a way to combat WiiU's gamepad no tv thing

Around the Network
superchunk said:
hinch said:
superchunk said:

Yeah, right now there are only a handful of games on PS3 that do that. PS3 remote play is also hard to pull off thanks to a bad choice in how remote start works. It uses the same signal to turn on as most routers do constantly. I'd have to have someone turn my PS3 on and start remote play while I'm out for it to work. Hopefully it is set up right this time and user friendly.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

superchunk said:
hinch said:
superchunk said:

That streaming to vita is pretty much a freebie, given how the "Share" button operates on accelerator hardware, so ANY game will stream.

Chark said:

Yeah, right now there are only a handful of games on PS3 that do that. PS3 remote play is also hard to pull off thanks to a bad choice in how remote start works. It uses the same signal to turn on as most routers do constantly. I'd have to have someone turn my PS3 on and start remote play while I'm out for it to work. Hopefully it is set up right this time and user friendly.

PS4 is "always on", so that is the big difference in how PS3 behaves for remote play. Basically, there is likely a setting where you are also "always connected" and your PSN can interact with the PS4 to turn it on for remote play or start downloading a game you purchased via your phone while sitting at work. (that last example is actually mentioned in today's GDC event)

The new Digital Foundry aticle revel new info about the PS4 GPU.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-playstation-4

What was intriguing was new data on how the PlayStation 4's 18-compute-unit AMD graphics core is utilised. Norden talked about "extremely carefully balanced" Compute architecture that allows GPU processing for tasks that usually run on the CPU. Sometimes, employing the massive parallelisation of the graphics hardware better suits specific processing tasks.

"The point of Compute is to be able to take non-graphics code, run it on the GPU and get that data back," he said. "So DSP algorithms... post-processing, anything that's not necessarily graphics-based you can really accelerate with Compute. Compute also has access to the full amount of unified memory."

"The cool thing about Compute on PlayStation 4 is that it runs completely simultaneous with graphics," Norden enthused. "So traditionally with OpenCL or other languages you have to suspend graphics to get good Compute performance. On PS4 you don't, it runs simultaneous with graphics. We've architected the system to take full advantage of Compute at the same time as graphics because we know that everyone wants maximum graphics performance."

Leaked developer documentation suggests that 14 of the PS4's compute units are dedicated to rendering, with four allocated to Compute functions. The reveal of the hardware last month suggested otherwise, with all 18 operating in an apparently "unified" manner. However, running Compute and rendering simultaneously does suggest that each area has its own bespoke resources. It'll be interesting to see what solution Sony eventually takes here. 

I'm pretty sure the "Compute" talk is about the increase of the ACE (Automatic Computing Engine) from 2 to 8 in PS4 GPU (the same number to be used in the new GCN 2.0). That make the use of "Compute" nearly 100% efficient even running graphics tasks in parallel. There a increase in the Queue Pipeline from 2 to 8 (like the GCN 2.0 docs)... everything change to more efficient over the actual GCN.

I don't need to say this GPU is new and not only based in the actual GCN (HD 7000).

Low-level access and the "wrapper" graphics API

In terms of rendering, there was some interesting news. Norden pointed out one of the principal weaknesses of DirectX 11 and OpenGL - they need to service a vast array of different hardware. The advantage of PlayStation 4 is that it's a fixed hardware platform, meaning that the specifics of the tech can be addressed directly. (It's worth pointing out at this point that the next-gen Xbox has hardware-specific extensions on top of the standard DX11 API.)

"We can significantly enhance performance by bypassing a lot of the artificial DirectX limitations and bottlenecks that are imposed so DirectX can work across a wide range of hardware," he revealed.

The development environment is designed to be flexible enough to get code up and running quickly, but offering the option for the more adventurous developers to get more out of the platform. To that end, PlayStation 4 has two rendering APIs.

"One of them is the absolute low-level API, you're talking directly to the hardware. It's used to draw the static RAM buffers and feed them directly to the GPU," Norden shared. "It's much, much lower level than you're used to with DirectX or OpenGL but it's not quite at the driver level. It's very similar if you've programmed PS3 or PS Vita, very similar to those graphics libraries."

But on top of that Sony is also providing what it terms a "wrapper API" that more closely resembles the standard PC rendering APIs.

"The key is that it doesn't sacrifice the efficiency of the low-level API. It's actually a wrapper on top of the low-level API that does a lot of the mundane tasks that you don't want to have to do over and over."

The cool thing about the wrapper API is that while its task is to simplify development, Sony actually provides the source code for it so if there's anything that developers don't get on with, they can adapt it themselves to better suit their project.

PS4 didn't use OpenGL or DirectX... there are a close to metal API and another like the OpenGL... seems like the PS3 with the LibGMC (low level / close to metal) and PSGL (based in OpenGL, very similar).

The users in NeoGAF are pointing to increase in ACEs from 2 to 8 in PS4 GPU too... like I said.