By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

superchunk said:
Sirius87 said:

What I don't get:
Why are you ignoring the GPU in AMDs A8-3850 APU? It's called HD 6550D and is capable of delivering 480GFlops (with fast enough memory, like e.g. GDDR5) at it's base clock (which is a lot lower than what is possible because in PCs where this APU is typically used the DDR3-RAM is too slow and so they cut the power of the GPU down; but there's no problem to apply a 20-30% higher clock to it -even 50% is possible but that may result in too low yield rates or too much power consumption).

So you have at least 480GFlops to add to the PS4s graphics power.

edit: and another thing I don't get: Why are you thinking that the Wii Us graphics card will have DP? You don't need DP for anything in gaming. That's more for scientific work. Also the bandwidth of the cards does not matter as long as it's fast enough so that the GPU does not have to wait for data. But that's not a problem in any of the graphics cards, so you might just skip that values (there really is nothing that they tell about the power of GPUs; things like Pixel (Fill) Rate or Texel Rate etc. would tell a lot more).

1) I know it comes with teh 6550, but the rumors stated it had the 7000 series card instead.

Well the point is that it comes with both. The rumored HD 7000 card isn't really strong so the additional GPU in the APU (that's how AMD calls there chips that combine CPU and GPU) might at least help a little bit.

There are a lot (better) other chips from AMD which don't feature a GPU, so if the GPU-Part is not planned to be used Sony would just have gone with one of them.

The integrated GPU ist THE feature of AMDs APUs so you can't just drop it from the tables.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Sirius87 said:

What I don't get:
Why are you ignoring the GPU in AMDs A8-3850 APU? It's called HD 6550D and is capable of delivering 480GFlops (with fast enough memory, like e.g. GDDR5) at it's base clock (which is a lot lower than what is possible because in PCs where this APU is typically used the DDR3-RAM is too slow and so they cut the power of the GPU down; but there's no problem to apply a 20-30% higher clock to it -even 50% is possible but that may result in too low yield rates or too much power consumption).

edit: and another thing I don't get: Why are you thinking that the Wii Us graphics card will have DP? You don't need DP for anything in gaming. That's more for scientific work. Also the bandwidth of the cards does not matter as long as it's fast enough so that the GPU does not have to wait for data. But that's not a problem in any of the graphics cards, so you might just skip that values (there really is nothing that they tell about the power of GPUs; things like Pixel (Fill) Rate or Texel Rate etc. would tell a lot more).

1) I know it comes with teh 6550, but the rumors stated it had the 7000 series card instead.

2) The values for each gpu/cpu are based on stock off the shelf values and the associated rumors. So while wii u's initial card has DP but its not needed as you say, it still stock with that feature, so I noted it. If you notice with wii u's newest gpu rumor that one is not DP, so who knows. I also note that those specs are definitely not final as each company will heavily tweak the card for their use and right now no one knows what the tweaks are. However, I guess I could change the values I'm showing to ones people may care more about.

ALL, let me know what values/data would be better to see in the CPU/GPU comparisons and I'll fix.

Is there a big differance between the two?

Sirius87 said:
superchunk said:
Sirius87 said:

What I don't get:

Well the point is that it comes with both. The rumored HD 7000 card isn't really strong so the additional GPU in the APU (that's how AMD calls there chips that combine CPU and GPU) might at least help a little bit.

There are a lot (better) other chips from AMD which don't feature a GPU, so if the GPU-Part is not planned to be used Sony would just have gone with one of them.

The integrated GPU ist THE feature of AMDs APUs so you can't just drop it from the tables.

OR sony could have a custome APU with the 7000 series GPU instad of the 6000 series... you know because console manufactures just use off the shelf parts. That's the point of the rumor... it was custom.

WiiBox3 said:
superchunk said:
Sirius87 said:

What I don't get:

2) The values for each gpu/cpu are based on stock off the shelf values and the associated rumors. So while wii u's initial card has DP but its not needed as you say, it still stock with that feature, so I noted it. If you notice with wii u's newest gpu rumor that one is not DP, so who knows. I also note that those specs are definitely not final as each company will heavily tweak the card for their use and right now no one knows what the tweaks are. However, I guess I could change the values I'm showing to ones people may care more about.

ALL, let me know what values/data would be better to see in the CPU/GPU comparisons and I'll fix.

Is there a big differance between the two?

Yes, and I have the one the rumor stated was part of the APU vs the one that is currently in the off-the-shelf configuration.

you forgot sixaxis in controls for the ps3. When used well it's awesome. Even if that is only one game every other year :P ... I hope the final ps4 will end up being a strong machine, though not - as expensive as the ps3 was. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what's gonna happen... But yeah, it's likely the machines wont be as powerful as people (and epic games) are hoping :P

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

I would rather see them not too powerful, on the cheap end and only have a 4-5 year life.

I hope the PS4 specs prove a bit better, if there isn't going to be a marked improvement I'd rather they held off for another couple of years

Most important in my opinion are the texel/texture fill rate and pixel fill rate. Bandwidth can give you some hints how fast a GPU may be, but in most cases the bandwidth is chosen so high that the GPU is not fast enough to really use all of it. GFlops has the problem that GPUs in a gaming environment aren't doing the kind of things which are measured in GFlops, but atleast the number of flops can give you some hints how fast a GPU is (more than the bandwidth in my opinion).

But sometimes it can be difficult to get all those values (http://www.hwcompare.com/ has a lot but e.g. not the ones for HD 6550D).

And regarding the rumoured specs of the PS4: In the rumour I know of it was totally clear that the PS4 is using an A8-3850 and(!) a GPU based on the HD 6670.
I also think that it would not be possibly to put a GPU like the HD 6670 into an APU, because that would be really difficult to cool (but I'm no expert).

But to be clear: I for myself somewhat doubt the rumour because I'm not really sure if an asymmetric crossfire is really the way to go (while I'm still thinking it may work). There are some nice things you can do better if you have a GPU really near to your CPU but in this cases a smaller integrated GPU may as well do that jobs.
But if you put these rumours in your tables you have to list all important facts about the chips.

The best use of an asymmetric dual GPU set up is to offload A.I. and physics to the weaker GPU. In this case, the APU which would actually work pretty well. But I'm not too sure how the game engines not written to specifically take advantage of the asymmetrical set up will handle things.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

That would be interesting, but I really don't think anyone will do dual GPU due to costs alone.

I will update the cpu/gpu tables later today with the data you guys said would be better compared. I'll also add info on the actual gpu in the apu rumored for comparison's sake.

However, in the end I don't think it matters. I really think that all three will be close enough that it will simply come down to first party and unique features. In that fight, only Nintendo has the clear advantage. So long as other rumors on their OS and networking capability prove to be true.