By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Universal confirms Asteroid's movie in the works!

Tagged games:

Well we all know that Asteroids from Universal studios was pretty much confirmed a long time ago. It has been a while since we heard about the film. Many had concluded that the Asteroids film had gone the way of Halo, but Universal just announced that it is indeed in production. Roland Emmerich who is a world famous director who was at the helm of "The Day After Tomorrow" and the likes of "2012" was supposed to direct and produce the big screen adaptation of Asteroids.

However Roland passed after deciding he didn't see how the film would meet his criteria and didn't think he wanted to produce and direct the film as Universal wanted it. But producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura remains confident that the film will be a success. The crew making the film isn't exactly remarkable with the screenwriter being Evan Spiliotopoulos best known for his work on Snow White and the Huntsman and Pooh's Heffalump.

Apparently the film's plot will differ from the games initial blow up the asteroids before they crush your ship pulverizing you into oblivion. Now the films plot will revolve around a "story of two estranged brothers that must team up to save Earth from an alien race," Hmm another movie about invading aliens. Now earlier reports from when Emmerich was supposed to be helming the project say the film takes place in a universe in which Earth was destroyed by Aliens. The film's setting is an Asteroid belt in which the remnants of the human race have taken cover allied with a group of aliens they think are going to help rescue them. It turns out that those aliens plan to obliterate the remaining human's whipping out the human race from existence. Two brothers must team up to save the human race. It is unclear with the recent statements whether the film is still going to take place in the Asteroid belt or whether it will take place on earth. I personally am hoping the initial reported story of taking place in the Asteroid belt is true because a film taking place on Earth just doesn't come close to fitting with the Asteroids basic theme (Asteroids)!

Personally I am disappointed in most of the announcements, had Roland been on board I would have been slightly more optimistic, Lorenzo is a world famous producer behind some of the biggest Hollywood films to come out recently but with a screen writer who's biggest movies include Snow White and Winnie the Pooh I can't help but be pessimistic at the ability of the crew to make a really good Asteroids film. Not to mention changing the plot line from Asteroids to an alien invasion is sort of disappointing in itself.

With the new announcements regarding the Asteroids big screen adaptation are you looking forward to seeing what Universal has come up with? Or are you cringing in fear realizing that chances are Asteroids will be ruined by yet another team of film makers looking to make a quick buck by exploiting a popular video game franchise?

Source

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Wait what? Asteroids?

I prefer Minesweeper:

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

spurgeonryan said:
So they are fighting aliens who live on asteroids that are invading earth, and they have to blow the asteroids up.

It would appear that is the case lol, movie tie ins at their finest. I mean seriously their have been some bad movie adaptations of games but even Uwe Bolls plot lines sound more like the games actual plot then this movie does. With the crew that they have this film does not look too promising!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer