By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which country do you find the most interesting during the WW2 era??

USA 15 15.96%

Russia 19 20.21%

England 7 7.45%

Germany 44 46.81%

Japan 1 1.06%

Italy 0 0%

France 2 2.13%

Australia 2 2.13%

Canada 1 1.06%

Finland 3 3.19%

Total:94
chris.m95 said:
I find the European countries the most interesting during the war. While i still find that the role played by america, japan etc were very important i find Europe to be the most interesting theater. I must say as a Brit i am intrigued by the British and the way in which we held on even against the far superior armies of Germany and its allies.

To be on an island and have a dominate navy doesn't hurt either.  If England was attached to mainland Europe then they would of have a much tougher time during WW2.  The Battle of Britain was a pretty intense air battle though.  I have a great interest in WW2 aircraift and even read an entire book on all the various war planes of the Third Reich.  I have also watched countless episodes of the Battle of Britain and ways England was able to hold the Germans off.  I also find the story of the hunting of the Bismarck very interesting considering it took a lot of effort from the British navy to hunt the ship down and destroy it.  It also proved that some of England's warships weren't invincible with the sinking of the HMS Hood and heavily damaging the HMS Prince of Wales.

I also saw a special about the relationship between Spain and Germany which was a very iffy relationship.  Spain didn't allow for Germany to go through their country for Germany to be able to attack Gibraltar with their panzer divisions which would have made the Gibraltar attack a lot easier thus they never preforming the attack.

Around the Network

Sorry for resetting the poll but I decided to do it now after waking up and realizing I didn't spell Great Britain right.... So instead I changed it to England.  I took Hungary out and added Finland. Much respect to all the other countries that were in the British Empire at the time that contributed troops (India, New Zealand, etc..) Please re-vote!

RolStoppable said:
Boo! I vote for Austria's independence.

You should have told me that I spelled Great Britain wrong in the poll!  If you did so I could have saved face and I would have added Austria.  Nevermind, I still wouldn't have added them.  Sorry about being absorbed into Germany during that time period.

KillerMan said:

Of course Finland! We fought against the red giant two times (Winter war , Continuation war ) and still managed to keep our independense.

You have your chance to vote for Finland now since I messed the original poll up...

I was just wondering people from England what do you consider the proper name for your country during WW2? Great Britain or England? Does it really bother you or even matter? I am trying to use the correct terms and not sure if it bothers anyone.  To my knowledge you were Great Britain during the vast British Empire days.  Part of the reason why I went with just putting England down was that I listed Canada and Australia also which a lot of historians would refer to the British Empire during that time period.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I was just wondering people from England what do you consider the proper name for your country during WW2? Great Britain or England? Does it really bother you or even matter? I am trying to use the correct terms and not sure if it bothers anyone.  To my knowledge you were Great Britain during the vast British Empire days.  Part of the reason why I went with just putting England down was that I listed Canada and Australia also which a lot of historians would refer to the British Empire during that time period.

Well great Britain isnt a country, its wales Scotland England a northern ireland put together, same meaning as the Uk a united kingdom of those countries

England is a lot smaller than you'd think, you could say as Great britain fought in the war,(England scotland wales and northern ireland) but it's not a country

I wish you could change "Russia" to "Soviet Union" because Ukrainians and Belorussians had sacrificed so many people during ww2. i think they deserve to be mentioned.

To answer your question, I believe Germany and Soviet Union are the most interesting to study.

sethnintendo said:
homer said:
USA was the most interesting. The atomic bomb> any technical achievement made by anyone at the time.

Losing a few key Jewish scientist due to Nazi ideology didn't help Germany in the race for the nuclear bomb.  That came back and bit the Axis Powers right in the ass.

This is especially interesting because it was German and Hungarian scientists who first figured out how to fission Uranium 235 and how to generate Plutonium, but enough of those scientists were scared off, and the few who were left were significantly underfunded because Germany did not believe the atomic bomb was an immediate possibility (e.g. something they could get working before the war was over)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

BigFatPauly said:

I wish you could change "Russia" to "Soviet Union" because Ukrainians and Belorussians had sacrificed so many people during ww2. i think they deserve to be mentioned.

To answer your question, I believe Germany and Soviet Union are the most interesting to study.

They did take the brunt of the invasion and saw many loses.  I am just going to leave it Russia for now considering I already restarted the poll twice but whatever name you want to use go ahead (Russian, Soviets,or whatever).  A lot of intense battles were fought between Germany and Russia.  The ones that interest me the most are The Battle of Kursk, Stalingrad, Battle of Berlin, and Siege of Leningrad.

spurgeonryan said:
I was surprised to see this topic here. Even took me all day to want to open it. Anyway I picked america. I would say any of the top three japan, germany or america get a lot of attention on the matter. So I pick america. America for winning and its bombs. Japan for its attack, the bomb and the pacific. Then for germany for obvious reasons.

Another country that is pretty interesting during WW2 is France.  Having the German occupied area and Vichy France made it an interesting situation.  I watched a documentary about Vichy France on Netflix a few weeks back.  I have seen a documentary on Mussolini and Italy also.