By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Lives Lost to WoW..True Stories

I have two:

One of my close friends life has been destroyed by an-unhealthy addiction to World of Warcraft. I'm not blaming the game, I'm blaming my friend (he knows he has an addictive personality and he still got involved). Anyways, since starting his jaunt into this MMORPG he has since lost a total of 5 jobs, a fiancé', his truck, his apartment and has been forced to declare bankruptcy. He is now a 28 year old man living in his parent’s basement, no job, no girlfriend and no education (post high school).  What really chaps my hide is that his parents went out and bought him a computer so he could play even after his was repossessed. I have talked to him about this problem several times and his response has been along the lines of "I don't like my life. I don't like where I'm at, but I'm obviously unwilling to change because I'm still going to play."

Like I said I'm not blaming the game (although studies have shown its addictive properties) I think my friend should have known better than to get involved (just as he knew not to get involved with drugs and alcohol because of his family history with substance abuse).

On another note I have a friend who plays a little more responsibly (he has a steady job etc.) but it is nearly impossible to get him out to do anything. He won't date (he says its too hard) he won't socialize (unless forced to) and now he's moved in with 3 other jokers who behave the same way.  He has made a dramatic shift in his personal, social and interpersonal habits and it all began when he started playing WoW. He says that it's "Just more fun than real life." Again, his fault for getting involved to such a point.

Anyone else loose friends or loved ones to the World of Warcraft?

Around the Network

I was one of them for 2 years..i survived..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
I was one of them for 2 years..i survived..

I salute you!

I was as well

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

In my highschool... There was this dude:

I just know him by name and face, not realle know him (like be friends and stuff)...

But here goes (btw: This is real):

The guy was in his 3rd year of highschool when WoW came out. A few years befoe that, he had played Warcraft3 and had to redo a year. When WoW came out he leveled to 60 in like 2 months and didn't come to school... He commanded his mother (parents were divorced) to get him magnetron-meals so he could eat in front of the computer and beat up his mom wqhen she told him he had to go to school (no joke...)

When he got placed back from his 3rd year to the 2nd halfway through the year (around Januari) he started coming back from school and his parents sold his computer. He made the year barely and came back in the 3rd year of highschool.

Then, The burning Crusade (WoW expansion set) came out... His mother was stupid enough to get it for him combined with a new laptop... (I think that's the most stupid thing one can do after he became a no-lifer because of WoW but ok... Maybe she's retard)

Now, around half a month later we haven't heard of him any more... I believe he got kicked of my highschool (grammer school, Latin and Greece and stuff...)

He totally messed up his education because of WoW... What a retard!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
I was as well

So how did you break out of it?

I haven't touched it because i have an addictive personality and -know- it would ruin my life. I do have a mate who never comes out, plays WoW at work, runs home and plays it. Haven't seen him in over 8 months. He dropped out of uni and has lost two jobs because of it, its awful.

Games i'm currently playing:

Nairu said:
I haven't touched it because i have an addictive personality and -know- it would ruin my life. I do have a mate who never comes out, plays WoW at work, runs home and plays it. Haven't seen him in over 8 months. He dropped out of uni and has lost two jobs because of it, its awful.

²

OnlyIsrael said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
I was as well

So how did you break out of it?

It was a combination of my parents forcing me and my own free will. I felt sick looking in the mirror (was 220 pounds as a FRESHMAN!) and i couldnt bare it anymore, ive been off it for a year and i weigh 170 now.

It took alot, but it would not have happened if my parents didnt also force me (though i could of found a way), the game is EXTREMELY addicting, whoever made the design at blizzard is a genious. All i can say is dont ever try it if your a gamer.

Overall people will most likely need outside help, or make them release what its doing to them

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Lost tears of Kain said:

It was a combination of my parents forcing me and my own free will. I felt sick looking in the mirror (was 220 pounds as a FRESHMAN!) and i couldnt bare it anymore, ive been off it for a year and i weigh 170 now.

It took alot, but it would not have happened if my parents didnt also force me (though i could of found a way), the game is EXTREMELY addicting, whoever made the design at blizzard is a genious. All i can say is dont ever try it if your a gamer.

Overall people will most likely need outside help, or make them release what its doing to them

Well, kudos to you and your family. I want to help my friend out but I don't think there's a shot if I can't get his parents on-board.