By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - IndyCar: Dan Wheldon dies after 15-car Crash

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/16/dan-wheldon-crash-las-vegas-indy-300_n_1014336.html

LAS VEGAS — Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon died Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway after his car became ensnarled in a fiery 15-car pileup, flew over another vehicle and landed in a catch fence just outside turn 2. The 33-year-old racer was a two-time Indy winner, including this year's race.

Three other drivers, including championship contender Will Power, were hurt in the pileup during Lap 13.

Weldon was airlifted from the track to University Medical Center; about two hours later, his colleagues were told of his death.

"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race."

In his honor, drivers took part in a five-lap salute around the oval.

more at source.. also a video

-------------------------------------
Rest in Peace... can't watch the footage again..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I can't express my sadness. My prayers go to his wife and his children, only 2 years and seven months old.

Wow, that race did look very unsafe, IndyCar might have to follow the ways of F1 to avoid future tragic events.

The 2008 F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton believes that Wheldon's success inspired a generation of British drivers.

He said: "Dan was a racer I'd followed throughout my career, as I often followed in his footsteps as we climbed the motorsport ladder in the UK. This is a tragic loss at such a young age.

"He was an extremely talented driver. As a British guy, who not only went over to the States but who twice won the Indy 500, he was an inspirational guy and someone that every racing driver looked up to with respect and admiration.

"My heart goes out to his family and friends during this extremely difficult time."

Hamilton's McLaren team-mate Jenson Button, the 2009 F1 champion, said: "I have so many good memories of racing with Dan in the early 90s, a true fighter. We've lost a legend in our sport but also a great guy.

Red Bull driver Mark Webber tweeted: "Rest in Peace Dan. I remember our early days in the UK 95/96.. Miss ya.."

Pretty saddening really.

Rainbow Yoshi said:
Wow, that race did look very unsafe, IndyCar might have to follow the ways of F1 to avoid future tragic events.

This was the last race with this chassis, which has a problem with front and back tyres making contact, and catapulting cars. The sad irony is that Wheldon was the driver who tested the new chassis that has a frame in the rear tyres so the front tires and the front wing can't make other cars go airborne.