By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Has “Tight memory, Poor IO Performance” – John Carmack

A meh game runing meh... the problem is the hardware? So the others developers are magical .

Around the Network
masschamber said:
Kynes said:
I'm sure most here don't even know how to do a hello world in C.

haven't written a scrap of c in years so I can't for the life of me remember if I need to include anything but

int main()

{

printf "hello world"/n

}

Print hello world &^%$ing C!

Leave John alone! He's only telling the truth and speaking in regard to the specifics of id Tech5.

The PS3 does have "tight memory" in that it's split between CPU/GPU whereas 360 is universal between the two.

The I/O is a little slower (excluding the HDD) and this matters in this case due to the mega-textures used with Tech5.

The CPU is more powerful than the 360 but when speaking to a games engine, as he is, then the performance is closer due to memory and other architectural elements. Outside games the PS3 is a fair bit more powerful than 360 from a CPU, which is why researchers are fond of linking them to use the CPU power, but with games other limitations constrain the PS3 CPU to a performance level closer to the 360.

Really, by this stage it should be pretty clear to anyone that cares that the PS3 has the better CPU, the 360 the slightly better GPU and the 360 memory design is easier to work with than the PS3's. Due to PS3 allowing more access to the hardware than the 360 - which of course wants developers to use DirectX and middleware - PS3 specific developers like Naughty Dog can get access to and squeeze out that little extra potential the addition CPU power of the PS3 offers.

This guy is not just a programming legend but he pretty much always speaks honestly and without regard to marketing, so let's cherish that in an industry that is given over to hype and white lies positioning from highly paid salary folks.

With Tech5 getting 60fps (or close) was always going to be tough on the PS3 and the 360 too, hence the big install on PS3 and the clear recommendation that you should install on the 360 too (and I'd advise it myself after playing RAGE on the 360).

As it stands, a full install on the 360 runs a bit better than the PS3 partial install however the PS3 outperforms the 360 with no install in a number of areas.

Really, the game looks good for what they're doing and the frame rate is amazingly smooth (as are the animations) on booth consoles compared to most FPS today.

Rage, as with all multi-platform titles, is never quite going to pip a fully custom engine written by equally talented folks to id, but like BF3 and the new Frostbite 2.0 engine it does a pretty good job overall IMHO.

Good grief both the PS3 and 360 have limitations and it should be possible for developers to speak to them without silly overreactions from people who clearly know close to zero technically about what's even being discussed.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

kowenicki said:
developer slags off MS or 360 - gospel, the truth, undeniable fact.

developer slags off Sony or PS3 - idiot, cant program, fanboy developer in ms pocket.

an OP slags off MS or 360 - kowenicki makes a post insulting ps3 fans

an OP slags off sony or ps3 - kowenicki makes a post insulting ps3 fans

played about 8 hours on a friends 360 and about 1 hour so far on my PS3. so far I haven't noticed anything worth fixing, games just as fun on both consoles (will play more once Dark Souls has relinquished it's hold in my system, but I'm sure my opinion won't change)
Can't speak for the PC version though but as in the OP that's being patched anyway.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
Booh! said:
Rainbird said:

He was asked why the PS3 version didn't perform better than it does and he answered the question. It's got nothing to do with whining. Not to mention that the move to focus on consoles is userbase-related rather than technology related.

No. He was requested to let us know if he could improve the game performance on ps3 or not. He was clearly pissed off and gave this harsh answer, that sounds a lot like an excuse. Q. : "Be professional and speak clearly: can you do something better?" A.: "The hardware is shit, it's not my fault".

It's an excuse. He could have simply answered that he had not enough experience on that kind of hardware, that he had not enough time to optimize the performances, that he miscalculated the tasks for those hardware capabilities. But saying that is just an excuse, 8Gb is not the largest install, and RAM is not that tight (it's even on a double bus, a feature that common pcs have not)...

Pissed off? Harsh answer? The only thing he said that might sound like that is "poor".

"we don’t know of anything we can do to improve ps3 performance much, especially on wasteland. Tight memory, poor IO performance."

And even then, what he said is true. Sony only allows a 5 GB install normally, so RAGE is definitely an anomaly, and RAM is tight. There is only 512 MB in total, but the RAM is split, so you have to spend ressources transfering data between the two parts, not to mention the OS takes up space.

Compared to the 360, the 360 doesn't need to transfer data between two RAM parts, it has the 10 MB additional RAM for the currect frame, and the OS generally takes up less space than the XMB.

Not shared RAM (like on the ps3) is the best and more costly solution, especially if you have multiple busses (like on the ps3). I don't want to start a discussion about the strong points of such an architecture, since the problem is not there.

Megatexture is a very bad idea for a ps3 and that's a Carmack's fault. If you want to get the best performance out of your software, you have to adapt your software to the architecture, not the other way around. Instead firstly he conceived the megatexture thing (which is a good idea, theoretically) and then tried to implement it on different architectures, even where it could be (and it is) not the best solution.

As a side note: tiled textures =/= always the same texture; you can take a megatexture, split it in a myriad of files (GT5 style) and then seamlessly load those files (you can do it if your ram is fast enough and by coincidence the ps3's got fast ram).

your about 3 years late carmack. no developers moan about the ps3 architecture anymore.

this is how all developers end up with PS3 ver. problem when they don't use it as lead platform...

shame that until now they still don't understand it...

Yep, Rage is pretty terrible. The texture popping bugs the shit out of me, and the game isn't even "that" good...

If he thinks it isn't good, he should go check out all the awesome looking games on the PS3 that don't use mega texturing.

Basically no one ever even realized textures were copied over and over, no need to fix it for poor performance.

ethomaz said:
A meh game runing meh... the problem is the hardware? So the others developers are magical .

It's not a meh game and it is most certainly not running "meh" either. If they would have made the game 30 FPS instead of 60 it would have easily had Uncharted 3 like visual both close up and far away (right now it already has almost perfect graphics when you don't look at stuff to closely)