By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - God of War director says Galaxy has ‘vapid story’

people dont like stuff for different reasons.

i find the whole call of duty series lame and boring.

i got Logan's Shadow for christmas, I started playing it and Im really not that interested in finishing it. I loved the original trilogy but I think sony bend forgot that this series is supposed to be about the stealth action.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
zackblue said:
failure at god of war director? Soriku do you know who these guys are?

He's an idiot, apparantly who complains that Mario has a vapid story, well duh, story has never been the centerpiece of mario, gameplay is, something which God of war is seriously lacking

God of War is lacking gameplay? Excuse me first one game of the year, and the gameplay is awesome. Nothing lacking about it, it is perfect.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

windbane said:

Nintendo could try some voice acting as well.

I agree, but first they need to figure out that not any voice will do.. the 5-6 words that were uttered by NPC's during the entirety of SMG made me relive the horrors of the voice acting in sunshine.. and don't get me started on the reason i need to mute my tv every time i boot up the game

Strangely enough.. that paragraph there was my only criticism after playing the game [as well as spring mario]

Mario games (and I mean main-series Mario games, not Paper Mario or Mario RPG or whatever you like) are the kind of games that exist simply for their own sake. It's like a shmup -- the story in most shmups is that aliens are attacking, and you must shoot them all down. The story in Mario games is that the princess has been kidnapped by Bowser, and you must defeat him and rescue her. That's all. The game does not exist in order to tell you a story, it exists in order for you to enjoy the gameplay. In other words, it is a gameplay-driven game, whereas an RPG or a game like Half-Life is a story-driven game.

All games used to be gameplay-driven, even RPGs. I think one of the problems facing a lot of developers these days is that their story-driven games focus too much on the story, and not enough on the gameplay. There is nothing inherently wrong with story-driven games; they are some of the best games around, and yes, even Nintendo makes them (just look at the last three Zelda titles). Still, I've seen far too many games go all-out on the story, but no one gets to enjoy it because the game itself sucks. The best example of this problem is Final Fantasy 8. Engaging story and good direction, but how can you possibly suffer through the endless magic drawing, GF summons, and completely pointless dungeon crawling (you don't even find new equipment!) to find out what happens next?

Someone asked, "Who would play an RPG if it didn't have an engaging story?" The answer is: Everyone who played (and occasionally still plays) Final Fantasy 1. Yes, even Final Fantasy wasn't always story-driven. Neither was Dragon Quest, for that matter -- and guess what the story was? Go on, guess. The princess has been kidnapped. You must rescue the princess and defeat the evil Dragonlord. Sound familiar? :)

I think a good test for any story-driven game would be to remove all the storytelling elements from the game, and see if players are still interested in playing it. If not, then your gameplay isn't good enough. If so, congratulations, put the story back in and sell your game.

Galaxy lacked sex scenes, blood, bare breasts and a critical in depth story with several story archs and twists.

It's a pity to see a game about a Plumber in a magical mushroom Kingdom reduced to such a simple formula instead of taking full advantage of the human experience which is obvious in the painfull throws of his mushroom addiction and lust for a woman who is consumed by her beastial urges for a dinosaur turtle beast.

Clearly, when looking at God of War and Super Mario, the only thing that really seperates them is story. And that's why God of War is clearly the better game.

Around the Network

Cory Barlog I don't know you ! and about Super Mario Galaxy is a platform game you don't need a huge story !!! but if you look to Twilight Princess it's has been awarded for the Story!!! come on!!! don't be shame admit that Super Mario Galaxy deserves a Game of the year 2007 !!! and for God of War wii really don't care wii are loyal to the Big N.

Since when has a platforming Mario game ever been held to the standard of a complex story?

It doesn't need a complex story. However, something entertaining would have been fun. Kinda like what Capcom does with Megaman.

i am actually still hoping for a game where i can play luigi(Hes cooler and not as fat as mario) with the quality of a mario game :) and with some side-story in it with some actually good content :D

Xeo_842 said:
Probably the main thing that mario games lack, a good story. He's right about the why part. Why does Bowser kidnap Peach? Who's Bowser Jr.'s mom? What's mario's backgroud story? I could go on.

These two questions could quite possibly be related

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)