By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest Industry Icon Tournament: Hiroshi Yamauchi Vs. Satoru Iwata

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Satoru Iwata. no real reason cause ninty has fail'd at every corner of gaming in the last 2 gens.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here... since according to you Nintendo failed at every corner of gaming in the last 2 gens, why vote for the guy who was in charge for most of that period?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Satoru Iwata. no real reason cause ninty has fail'd at every corner of gaming in the last 2 gens.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here... since according to you Nintendo failed at every corner of gaming in the last 2 gens, why vote for the guy who was in charge for most of that period?

nintys 2 lesser evils. pick the top dog in disgrace. its a paradox. 

Yamauchi

Yamauchi, because Nintendo has made some questionable decisions under Iwata.

Yamauchi

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JEMC said:

Iwata.

RolStoppable said:
Yamauchi, because he probably wouldn't have made the Wii U and he also knew that a console is just a box that people buy in order to play Mario games. In the '90s he might have not known that Super Mario 64 is not an actual sequel to the Mario series, but after the success of the NSMB games in the seventh generation he would have damn well realized it and slapped Miyamoto if any objections were made to making more Super Mario Bros.

But Yamauchi wouldn't have made neither the DS nor the Wii, and Nintendo would now be the third one in the console wars, far behind the others, or a simple third party like Sega.

Yamauchi planted the seed for the DS and Wii before he let Iwata take over for good. It was his opinion that consumers aren't interested in cutting edge technology and rather want fun games at an affordable price. This is why Nintendo bowed out of the console wars and left it to Sony and Microsoft to build expensive HD machines. Yamauchi wouldn't have passed the torch to Iwata, if he wasn't sure that the company is in good hands.

But Yamauchi learned that lesson after failing with the Nintendo 64. Something that still causes them troubles, specially regarding 3rd party support.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Iwata, under him Nintendo gave us the DS.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

RolStoppable said:
JEMC said:

But Yamauchi learned that lesson after failing with the Nintendo 64. Something that still causes them troubles, specially regarding 3rd party support.

Iwata shouldn't have to repeat Nintendo's mistakes of the past in order to know that they are mistakes. He should know why Nintendo failed in the past and avoid doing the things that led to failure. Yamauchi did not have the luxury of looking back at history when making his decisions, because video games as a medium were still very young.

But then I think WiiU's direction is not a mistake like you. Yamauchi/Iwata were samrt and saw that after the GameCube Nintendo couldn't compete head to head against Sony and Microsoft so they chose the other route.

And that worked very well until now, when in house developed games are no longer enough to attract new users.

And at the same time we have reached a point where development costs are so high that no one really wants a generational jump as big as the last one. Most of the developers complain about the lack of memory and disk space, not about power. Nintendo has seen this and (if they are right) the WiiU will be perfect. It will be a noticeable jump compared to current gen consoles without being very expensive to develop for. And then they have added the new controller.

That is the job of a good CEO, to see where the market is going and the troubles ahead. And while he has failed with the 3DS, the rumors about WiiU seems to suggest that he will be right this time.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

RolStoppable said:
JEMC said:

But then I think WiiU's direction is not a mistake like you. Yamauchi/Iwata were samrt and saw that after the GameCube Nintendo couldn't compete head to head against Sony and Microsoft so they chose the other route.

And that worked very well until now, when in house developed games are no longer enough to attract new users.

And at the same time we have reached a point where development costs are so high that no one really wants a generational jump as big as the last one. Most of the developers complain about the lack of memory and disk space, not about power. Nintendo has seen this and (if they are right) the WiiU will be perfect. It will be a noticeable jump compared to current gen consoles without being very expensive to develop for. And then they have added the new controller.

That is the job of a good CEO, to see where the market is going and the troubles ahead. And while he has failed with the 3DS, the rumors about WiiU seems to suggest that he will be right this time.

This is wrong and it's a similar logic third parties have been using this entire generation. Release no compelling games, get no sales as a result and conclude that there's not a big enough market to develop games for. In Japan Rhythm Heaven basically doubled Wii sales for several weeks. Whenever Nintendo actually bothered to release games that could attract new users, they succeeded. This has not changed until now.

The market clearly wanted more Wii games. But Nintendo refuses to deliver, so the market gets no real chance to prove that it's still willing to buy more Wii games.

But sooner or later you have to release a new console (either because you feel constrained or because the others have done it and you don't want to risk your market position), and you have to relocate your studios to start developing games for that new console. And here is were 3rd parties enter as they can fill that void. Add the fact that Nintendo also launched the 3DS and you find yourself without enough teams to develop for all your consoles, having lenght periods of time with litle to no launches for your console.

That's why Rhythm Heaven moved so much hardware, it came in one of those droughts. And that's also the reason why Iwata wants 3rd party support for WiiU.

RolStoppable said:

Indeed, sooner or later a new console needs to be released. Either because consumer interest in the system drops despite a strong release schedule or because competitors are pushing for the next generation. Neither of these things hold true for the generational switch Nintendo has planned with the Wii U. All that console will really get are third party multiplatform games, because nowadays nothing is exclusive anymore unless the console manufacturer pays for it. But who buys a Nintendo system for multiplatform games?

What if we make that question the other way: who would buy the other consoles if they could find all Ninty games + all multiplat games on the same console? I like games, and while Nintendo gives me very good games, there are also good games on the other platforms that I can't play on my Wii. So the only way to play them is having another console. With WiiU, the goal is to have all the Ninty and multiplat games (and I'm thinking in multiplat with PS4/nextbox), that's why I think Iwata is right this time.

The Wii is Nintendo's most successful home console, but Nintendo treats it like the Gamecube. The difference between the Wii and GC is that the latter had already lost relevance in the marketplace. Consumers didn't care about that console anymore, but they do about the Wii. Now these people are told that they need to buy a new console if they want more Nintendo games, simply because Nintendo decided to get third party games these consumers didn't really care about in the first place. And if they did, they might as well already own a 360 or PS3.

It doesn't matter if Rhythm Heaven was released during a drought. It gave a notable boost to the hardware which refutes your claim that Nintendo software is no longer enough to attract new users to the Wii. Nintendo can still move hardware with their games and they can also sell millions of copies to the existing userbase. The Wii's problem wasn't and isn't so much the absence of compelling third party software, but the lack of commitment on Nintendo's part.

But Nintendo (or anyone else, for that matter) doesn't have enough teams to support all their consoles at the same time. Yes, they can launch 4 or maybe 5 games a year/console but with 12 months to fill with releases you have to either create more teams (something expensive and that doesn't always work), force your actual teams to produce more games (something that will hurt the quality of the games) or have the launches of 3rd parties to help, which not only is not bad but it is actually good as you earn money from royalties.