By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Can a government kill one of it's citizens overseas without a trial?

The answer surprisingly enough appears to be.... yes.

Which I totally disagree with.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/30/8063632-can-us-legally-kill-a-citizen-overseas-without-due-process

If the person is a US citizen, they shouldn't be a direct target of death attacks unless tried first, even if it means having to be tried in absentia first.

Around the Network

Can a government kill one of its citizens? Obviously they can ... should they be able to is another question altogether.

Ultimately, I think the answer is that a government should be able to but they would first have to convict them of treason; even if that means they have to convict them in absentia. The only other situation which is justified is if someone is part of an identified fighting force that is engaged in combat against the government.

THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO KILL ITS CITIZENS TO PROTECT ITS CITIZENS

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

im assuming this is about anwar al-awlaki (or however so spell it)
didnt they revoke his citizenship

what about multinationals?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

I have not read up on the case. Any good articles on it or any one want to summarize?

I am against killing our own civilians, but if somebody clearly does not agree with our views, our government, and openly helps terrosit or assists them it makes you wonder if they are really a us citizen and dont now belong to some other group or country.

What i said is without me knowing anything about this case.

The government can do whatever it wants to,as long as it has money and resources.And it's easy for them to hide everything from the people.

thranx said:
I have not read up on the case. Any good articles on it or any one want to summarize?

I am against killing our own civilians, but if somebody clearly does not agree with our views, our government, and openly helps terrosit or assists them it makes you wonder if they are really a us citizen and dont now belong to some other group or country.

What i said is without me knowing anything about this case.

Loyalty shouldn't be a prequisite of citizenship.

Afterall, the government then could just change the definition of what is loyal at their whim.

There were plenty of US citizens for example who disagreed with the Bush government, and were members of groups that take part in terrorism like the Sea Sheppard society.

What if a citizen display acts of treasons, can that override the right to fair trial of that particular citizen..OR is that too far of a stretch??

ImJustBayuum said:
What if a citizen display acts of treasons, can that override the right to fair trial of that particular citizen..OR is that too far of a stretch??

If a citizen displays acts of treason... how about we try him for acts of treason?