By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Iranian pastor to possibly be executed in Iran over apostasy charge....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/on-faith/us-christians-rally-around-iranian-pastor/2011/09/28/gIQA11YJ5K_story.html

Religious freedom advocates rallied Wednesday (Sept. 28) around an Iranian pastor who is facing execution because he has refused to recant his Christian faith in the overwhelmingly Muslim country.

The British-based group Christian Solidarity Worldwide has asked international supporters to urge Iranian officials to halt plans to execute Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani.

The pastor was found guilty of apostasy last year, and the conviction has been upheld by the Iranian Supreme Court. If carried out, the execution would mark the first time since 1990 that an Iranian pastor was killed for his Christian faith.

Around the Network

Such a wonderful, developed part of the world :-

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

What does apostasy mean?

Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ارتداد, irtidād or ridda‎) is commonly defined in Islam as the rejection in word or deed of one's former religion (apostasy) by a person who was previously a follower of Islam.

Not sure if that is how it is meant in Iran though.

If that is what is meant, does that mean you can only be christian if you emigrate to the country that way or are "born" that way?

yo_john117 said:
What does apostasy mean?

In this context it means the guy converted to Christianity when he was initially (born) a Muslim. In Iran it's illegal to convert from Islam to another religion, punishabe by death. However if you are born and raised as a Christian in Iran then the regime doesn't really have an issue with your religion, you're just regarded as inferior. It's a very brave Muslim who converts to Chriatianity in Iran, that's for sure.

The only religion where every member of the religion is subject to state sanctioned persecution is Baha'i. Baha'is aren't allowed govt jobs, Baha'i children can't go to school, Baha'i university students are expelled from University or denied entry, Baha'is who try to teach their kids because they've been excluded from school are arrested for corrupting the minds of kids, Baha'i businesses are summarily closed down, or taken over and given to someone else, people who employ Baha'is are subject to intimidation unless the Baha'i is fired from their job, and Baha'i leaders are imprisoned on trumped up charges or executed (though none have been executed for a while).

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Just hope those in charge change their minds.

binary solo said:
yo_john117 said:
What does apostasy mean?

In this context it means the guy converted to Christianity when he was initially (born) a Muslim. In Iran it's illegal to convert from Islam to another religion, punishabe by death. However if you are born and raised as a Christian in Iran then the regime doesn't really have an issue with your religion, you're just regarded as inferior. It's a very brave Muslim who converts to Chriatianity in Iran, that's for sure.

The only religion where every member of the religion is subject to state sanctioned persecution is Baha'i. Baha'is aren't allowed govt jobs, Baha'i children can't go to school, Baha'i university students are expelled from University or denied entry, Baha'is who try to teach their kids because they've been excluded from school are arrested for corrupting the minds of kids, Baha'i businesses are summarily closed down, or taken over and given to someone else, people who employ Baha'is are subject to intimidation unless the Baha'i is fired from their job, and Baha'i leaders are imprisoned on trumped up charges or executed (though none have been executed for a while).

Its disgusting to think that they will punish people that convert from their majority religion in that way, as well as persecute those of the Baha'i faith. I may not agree with Baha'i, but man, its sickening to think that they would totally exclude them from society and punish them in every way imaginable.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

lol, protest against a country led by a men who wishes to see the west destroyed, and openly states the hollocaust is a lie?

Seems productive.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

binary solo said:
yo_john117 said:
What does apostasy mean?

Wow that is just pathetic. I hate religious extremists.

yo_john117 said:
binary solo said:
yo_john117 said:
What does apostasy mean?

Wow that is just pathetic. I hate religious extremists.

The Baha'i faith is one that is an offshoot of Islam.  They consider Mohammed the prophet, but believe the final prophet that was returned already returned.  Well, this is what I recall about it, and I am sure there is more to it.