By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

arcane_chaos said:
anyone got any tips on fighting the four kings?...just got raped....

I'm currently titanite farminng to upgrade my weapons/armor...got my flask to 20 uses...

Iron Flesh/Havels armor. Kill them before the next one appears. You should be fine. It's one of the harder bosses.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
lestatdark said:
JGarret said:
By the way, I´m now on Darkroot Garden, but I took a turn and entered 'Darkroot Basin'...should I avoid it for now?

Well, it's not that the Basin is hard. You've got a Black Knight with a Halberd at the bottom of the path, four crystal golems and then there's the Hydra. The Hydra itself is easy once you're at melee range, getting at melee range, that's the biggest issue. The Hydra will continously shoot jets of water towards your position (which have a little homing tracking and cause huge splash damage) so you can die easily before reaching it. 

It's best to avoid it for now, if you want to save yourself some grief. Just go down the other path until you hit the wall I told you. And yes, the Butterfly is much, much easier than the gargoyles, though the fight will take you some time if you're melee only.

You mean it´s indeed a wall, not a door, right?...because there´s a door with a glowing symbol, similar to the one you described, but I assume it can only be opened with that crest you buy from the blacksmith, correct?

That door can only be opened with that crest, correct, but to the left of that door, there's a wall that you can hit to reveal a bonfire. Since it's the only one in the garden, it's invaluable.

@blkfish92 - You must have helped over 9 people then. With this character I've only helped once, so that's why I need 45 Faith.

@Arcane_Chaos - If you're a melee character, Wargram's tactics are the ones to use. If you're a Sorceror/Pyromancer, then the best strategy (especially if you're a sorceror with high INT), equip Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk and Tin Crystalization Catalyst (if you have it). Stock up on Soul Spears, Homing Soulmass (and if you can, their crystal versions) and just fire away. You can one/two shot each of the kings that way.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Oh crap there i went playing heavy rain, and when i came back, there were tons of new posts in here. O_o! that'll be a lot to catch up lol.

@Souls: a friend borrowed my copy of Dark Souls. (lend him Demons Souls too back in the day).. okay, i forced him to take Dark Souls, since he hellishly disliked Demons Souls. (Because he had to restart 1-1 a lot.. and eventually gave up ^^) i even stayed from 11PM to 2AM (even if his GF wasnt happy with that ;P) just to help him getting through the first 2 bosses on his own. (Asylum + taurus).. tho' he did brilliant, even better than me, and pwned those 2 on his first try.
and now, after checking his trophy list, he's on his way to the second bell already.. i am so proud of him.. they grow so fast.. :,)

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:
Oh crap there i went playing heavy rain, and when i came back, there were tons of new posts in here. O_o! that'll be a lot to catch up lol.

@Souls: a friend borrowed my copy of Dark Souls. (lend him Demons Souls too back in the day).. okay, i forced him to take Dark Souls, since he hellishly disliked Demons Souls. (Because he had to restart 1-1 a lot.. and eventually gave up ^^) i even stayed from 11PM to 2AM (even if his GF wasnt happy with that ;P) just to help him getting through the first 2 bosses on his own. (Asylum + taurus).. tho' he did brilliant, even better than me, and pwned those 2 on his first try.
and now, after checking his trophy list, he's on his way to the second bell already.. i am so proud of him.. they grow so fast.. :,)

Nice to see you pulling new people into the game

I think the starting moments of Dark Souls are less unforgiving than Demon's Souls. A lot of people couldn't pass/were stuck for a long time on Phalanx. Not that 1-1 was hard (nor Phalanx), but it was challenging for starters. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
EncodedNybble said:
Bleh, I just spent some dragon scales upgrading priscilla's dagger. I really like daggers and this one has the best dex scaling but, sadly the worst critical of the group (which is what I like most about daggers). Bleh....can't win. I liked daggers a lot more in Demon's Souls :(

It you're really that much into crits, try the Bandit's Dagger. It has the best critical of every weapon in the game (You can do crits of over 2K with a Hornet Ring equipped)

Yeah that's what I'm using now I like the crits a lot, I just with it had better scaling.  Hornet's Ring?  Hrm, I'll have to look into it.

Around the Network

lestat, I defeated the Moonlight Butterfly and got 'Butterfly Soul'...the description says I can either acquire a huge amount of souls or create unique weapon...what would you advise?..if it´s the latter, how do I do it?

Also, I went up the stairs to the top of the tower and found a corpse (petrified?) with a key and a divine amber..it says I can turn a standard weapon into a divine one...if I turn my longsword + 5 into a divine weapon, what changes?

By the way, about the corpse mentioned above...should I leave it alone or can I destroy it (I mean 'destroy' because it seems to be petrified) to obtain more items?

JGarret said:
lestat, I defeated the Moonlight Butterfly and got 'Butterfly Soul'...the description says I can either acquire a huge amount of souls or create unique weapon...what would you advise?..if it´s the latter, how do I do it?

Also, I went up the stairs to the top of the tower and found a corpse (petrified?) with a key and a divine amber..it says I can turn a standard weapon into a divine one...if I turn my longsword + 5 into a divine weapon, what changes?

By the way, about the corpse mentioned above...should I leave it alone or can I destroy it (I mean 'destroy' because it seems to be petrified) to obtain more items?

If you want to, you can read the wiki at darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com it has answers to many questions.

It is generally better practice to keep all boss souls to upgrade to a unique weapon instead of "eating" for souls. The weapons are usually cool, plus there is a trophy associated with getting all "rare" weapons.  Plus souls are just souls, you can get souls from so many other locations/fights, the weapon you can only get that one way. If you don't care about trophies or the weapon then eat away.

The embers you give to different blacksmiths and they "ascend" your weapons to different upgrade paths.  The divine upgrade path makes your weapon do.....magic damage I think (I'm unsure, check the wiki) instead of normal damage and has the magic damage scale with your faith statistic instead of whatever the original scaling properties were.  Different embers allow you to go down different upgrade paths and different paths have different effects.  Read the wiki for more details.

EncodedNybble said:
lestatdark said:
EncodedNybble said:
Bleh, I just spent some dragon scales upgrading priscilla's dagger. I really like daggers and this one has the best dex scaling but, sadly the worst critical of the group (which is what I like most about daggers). Bleh....can't win. I liked daggers a lot more in Demon's Souls :(

It you're really that much into crits, try the Bandit's Dagger. It has the best critical of every weapon in the game (You can do crits of over 2K with a Hornet Ring equipped)

Yeah that's what I'm using now I like the crits a lot, I just with it had better scaling.  Hornet's Ring?  Hrm, I'll have to look into it.

Well, patch 1.04 is supposed to adress the scaling issues with the grand majority of weapons, so who knows, maybe it'll get a better scaling with Dex. Also, if you upgrade the Bandit's Knife via it's normal route (instead of any prefix route), you can also use Crystal Magic Weapon with it, giving it even higher attack and much higher critical damage at +15.

@JGarret - The Butterfly soul has two uses, for a shield and a spear. If you're going for the trophies, you'll need to craft both. 

Divine weapons scale with Faith, and they're also required to defeat the skeletons in the graveyard permanently (any other weapon and they recover after a few seconds). The corpse won't drop anything else as you can't destroy it.

Current PC Build

*sigh*

It's very easy to just tip your R2 button mistakenly if you're standing in front of poor Andrei. Cost me about 114000 souls for absolution. Yay.

On a nicer note, I somehow managed to kill Quelaag in one try.....BARELY. I'm looking into a new weapon now after the Drake sword. Currently got a Raw Zweilander +1 and a Divine Claymore. Was thinking of a getting a faster weapon too

blunty51 said:
*sigh*

It's very easy to just tip your R2 button mistakenly if you're standing in front of poor Andrei. Cost me about 114000 souls for absolution. Yay.

On a nicer note, I somehow managed to kill Quelaag in one try.....BARELY. I'm looking into a new weapon now after the Drake sword. Currently got a Raw Zweilander +1 and a Divine Claymore. Was thinking of a getting a faster weapon too

Congrats on beating Quelaag on the first try. Well, the Black Knight weapons (except the swords) are pretty fast for their size (especially the Greataxe, it's as fast as normal sized axes and swords) and hit for high damage, the problem is getting them to drop as most Black Knights are one time affairs only, except for the ones in the final area.

Since you're using Zweihanders and Claymores, I understand that you're going for a STR build or at least have a high enough STR. Did you fight against Maneater Mildred on Blightown? The Meat Cleaver she drops is a pretty good weapon (and fast for it's size), especially if you level it up to +15 and invest some points in intelligence so you can buff it up even more with Magic Weapon sorcery. With Crystal Magic Weapon, a Meat Cleaver +15 (or anything above +10) can hit for over 600 attack (at STR >30). 

Any kind of Spear is a good alternative as well, such as the Halberd or the Winged Spear, but you'll have to invest some points in Dex to able to use them. The Gravelord Sword found later in the game is also one of the best hard hitting weapons in the game and benefits a STR build looking for fast hitting weapons, though it cannot be buffed by magic nor by resins. 

Any other kind of fast hitting weapons, such as the curved swords or curved greatswords require a good amount of Dex to use, as it's also the stat that scales the most for them, which probably doesn't benefit your build if you have more STR than Dex.

Current PC Build