By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

JGarret said:
lestat, I started the game yesterday and I´m now in Undead Burg, met the first merchant (an undead guy)..anyway, got any tips on what I should get ASAP?...should I invest in a bow and arrows?...I noticed the pieces of armor he sells only increase my physical defense by one point, I´m not spending a lot of souls for them, at least not yet..so I´m not sure what the best thing to get is right now.

Well, buying armours is indeed a bit of a waste of souls, even if you started as a Deprived (as I did), because the armour you eventually find in the game is better most of the times. Only in the late game will you find actually good armour in the vendors, so keep your souls. 

Bow and Arrows are definitely something you should look at. Even if you're not a Dex character, using a Bow is a good method of kiting and luring enemies individually instead of having to deal with crowds of them, which is particulary useful in some scenarios, like the Elite Knights at the entrance of the Undead Parish. Also, you'll want to buy at least 50 arrows (100 if you can afford it) and use them later when you go under a bridge to escape from a fire-breathing red dragon, since you can target it's tail to get an amazing weapon.

Repair box is also a good buy, but a bit too steep at the moment, and you can get it cheaper on a blacksmith located just a little further from the Undead Burg. If you didn't start with the Master Key gift, then the Residence Key is a must buy. It will open some doors in the burg, especially on the lower Burg (later on) in which you can rescue a NPC. 

So my best tip is to go for the Bow and Arrows first and then the Key if you can afford it. You can always come back after progressing a bit more in the game and have more souls, or you can farm from the Undead Soldiers nearby (1000 souls shouldn't take too long to get).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
lestatdark said:
StokedUp said:
Ive got a few questions;
Which covenant is it when you can get summoned to defend ANOR LONDO? And what are you defending it from? Also does it matter what SL you are to get summoned?

That's the Darkmoon Covenant. You need to find the Darkmoon Seance Ring on the Catacombs first before you're able to access it though. It's located on the bottom floor of the rotating spiral stairway, outside the church in Anor Londo.

Once you have the ring, the wall in front of the bonfire there will dissapear and you'll appear next to a white fog doorway. Never enter that doorway if you want to be part of the covenant, as that will enrage Gwyndolin and he'll attack you (a boss fight) and you can never be part of Darkmoon for that playthrough.

Once you're part of the Darkmoon, you'll get two items, a Blue Eye Orb (which works like a Red Eye Orb, but only for invading "guilty" players - players who have commited sins in the game) and a Darkmoon Ring which has to be equipped in order for you to be summoned to go into another players darkened Anor Londo (to darken Anor Londo, you need to kill the Sun Princess Gwynevere). The first method is a normal invasion PVP, tied to the rules of online engagement (10% SL span), but the second is special in that the invaded player doesn't get a message about the invasion taking place (there are also no white fog barriers delimiting the invasion arena as there are in a normal invasion) and there are no Soul Level limits for it (this is a problem since usually you're pitted against much higher SL players).

thanks matey! 

Ive got another question though :)

What do you do in the covenant PRINCESS GUARD? can you be summoned or invade in that?

Princess Guard works similarly to Way of the White. There are no particular summon or invasion events in the covenant, but being part of either of those two covenants makes it much easier to find White Summon signs from other players in the same covenants. 

Also, Princess Guard allows you to use two miracles that are dropped from some of the medusa-like enemies on the prison in Dukes Archives, which are Bountiful Sunlight and Soothing Sunlight. Both are AOE healing spells, which work very nicely when pairing up for bosses. Those miracles don't work if you're not part of the Princess Guard.

@Xen - I hope I can be of assistance any time you require it Trust me, Dark Souls has as many, if not more, wonderful experiences as in Demon's Souls. You did well in getting it!

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

StokedUp said:
lestatdark said:
StokedUp said:
Ive got a few questions;
Which covenant is it when you can get summoned to defend ANOR LONDO? And what are you defending it from? Also does it matter what SL you are to get summoned?

That's the Darkmoon Covenant. You need to find the Darkmoon Seance Ring on the Catacombs first before you're able to access it though. It's located on the bottom floor of the rotating spiral stairway, outside the church in Anor Londo.

Once you have the ring, the wall in front of the bonfire there will dissapear and you'll appear next to a white fog doorway. Never enter that doorway if you want to be part of the covenant, as that will enrage Gwyndolin and he'll attack you (a boss fight) and you can never be part of Darkmoon for that playthrough.

Once you're part of the Darkmoon, you'll get two items, a Blue Eye Orb (which works like a Red Eye Orb, but only for invading "guilty" players - players who have commited sins in the game) and a Darkmoon Ring which has to be equipped in order for you to be summoned to go into another players darkened Anor Londo (to darken Anor Londo, you need to kill the Sun Princess Gwynevere). The first method is a normal invasion PVP, tied to the rules of online engagement (10% SL span), but the second is special in that the invaded player doesn't get a message about the invasion taking place (there are also no white fog barriers delimiting the invasion arena as there are in a normal invasion) and there are no Soul Level limits for it (this is a problem since usually you're pitted against much higher SL players).

thanks matey! 

Ive got another question though :)

What do you do in the covenant PRINCESS GUARD? can you be summoned or invade in that?

there are a few healing miracle's you can only use when in princess guard, also, You find helpful soulsigns easier from players of the same covenant.

@Xen: I feel almost sorry for you (Thats why i prefer to buy games in Stores like Gamestop - of course they are more pricey*, but you have them on Launch day.)

Have fun ^_^!

* Actually, i payed less for DS at gamestop than i would have on Amazon. rare occurence, but yeah, it happens sometimes.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

HOLY MOTHER OF F**K O_________________o!

Something amazing happened, Anor Londo turned totally Dark, and all the enemys are replaced by NPC's WTF! ^_^

(What a single arrow can change.. lmao. ^^)

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:

Something amazing happened, Anor Londo turned totally Dark, and all the enemys are replaced by NPC's WTF! ^_^

You bastard, how dare you do that to the big boo...I mean, sun princess XD. 

Those NPC's are amazing for soul farming. Just run from the chamber of the princess bonfire, kill them, cast homeward, rinse and repeat

Current PC Build

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

which is why the Binoculars are the best gift in the game? :P

.. seriously, i was like 'wtf' xD.. its amazing that something like that can happen. o:

Crystalchild said:
lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

.. seriously, i was like 'wtf' xD.. its amazing that something like that can happen. o:

You get something useful out of that ?, her soul or something ?

VXIII said:
Crystalchild said:
lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

absolutely nothing.

xD

Crystalchild said:
VXIII said:
Crystalchild said:
lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

absolutely nothing.

xD

Bastard !!

:p

VXIII said:
Crystalchild said:
VXIII said:
Crystalchild said:
lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

absolutely nothing.

xD

Bastard !!

:p

she deserved it, teasing me  with the great sight onto her boobies, while they'd stay forever untouched.

and Ana.. Anor Londo at night has something special to it. :p