By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

The NG+ kings were pissing me off >_>. Ended up formulating a nice strategy for my build (and any STR build):

- First, make sure you have Iron Flesh (this is vital). 3 castings of Iron Flesh are enough to kill three kings but will leave you wide open for the fourth, so it's better if you have 6 castings (put 12 points in attunement).

- Second, if you have good Endurance (about 30 - 40), go full Havel with Havel's Ring. Sure you'll be above 50% encumberance, but since you're using Iron Flesh you really don't have to bother with it.

- Third, equip the Grass Crest Shield, as it has a Stamina Regeneration ability, which is paramount to the sucess of this strategy (as you want to kill them as fast as you can so you don't get clobbered by all kings at the same time).

- At last, use your strongest two-handed weapon. I went with a BK Greataxe, but a Lightning Claymore +5 seems to be the best weapon to bring to the fight (as the kings are weak against Lightning).

After all that preparation, just dash through the darkwraiths and ghosts to the fog gate and clobber them away. With an insanely high amount of poise and defense from Iron Skin and the Havel set, you won't flinch from any attack they do (even the explosion attack) and damage will be kept to a minimum.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
The NG+ kings were pissing me off >_>. Ended up formulating a nice strategy for my build (and any STR build):

My strategy was 'just dont care'.. i didnt evade, except for the most crittical strikes, i just endured the others while attacking. sure, it burned down all the 20 flasks rather quickly, but in the end, it kinda worked out. xD

Having 70 Vitality is pure luxury, i swear lol.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:
lestatdark said:

My strategy was 'just dont care'.. i didnt evade, except for the most crittical strikes, i just endured the others while attacking. sure, it burned down all the 20 flasks rather quickly, but in the end, it kinda worked out. xD

Having 70 Vitality is pure luxury, i swear lol.

What SL were you when you fought them? I had only 40 vitality

And 10 flasks XD. I haven't got the Rite of Kindling yet because I wanted to talk to Darkstalker Khaate first (to get the Darkwraith covenant later on).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Level 125, already beat the game and on my second run

GOTY.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Attoyou said:

GOTY.

I think I was the only one who finished NG below level 85, and now I'm paying for it on NG+

Current PC Build

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Attoyou said:

GOTY.

I think I was the only one who finished NG below level 85, and now I'm paying for it on NG+

lol i think i over did the grinding, the game has been easy on me for the most part.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Smough+Ornsteinn + Supersmough with 1 flask used on NG++.. i feel ashamed that i had to use one. =( .. but atleast first try.

PS: 3k Souls per killed Enemy is .. sick.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Crystalchild said:
Smough+Ornsteinn + Supersmough with 1 flask used on NG++.. i feel ashamed that i had to use one. =( .. but atleast first try.

Damn....you're progressing fast :-|

How much souls did Smough and Orsntein dropped?

@Attoyou - I haven't grinded at all, except maybe for farming and some PVP in the forest. That's why i'm usually under the level of most people here >___<.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

Damn....you're progressing fast :-|

How much souls did Smough and Orsntein dropped?

98k or something like that, gaping dragon was 80(,750) ^^

jus' running through the dungeons, i could be much further, because running through a level naked, takes like 4-5 minutes, killing the boss another 2. ^^

DAMN in New Londo, in those houses filled with ghosts, i got my ass handed to me 2 times in a row now.. awful how dangerous they are if there are 8-9 of them trying their best to end my life.