By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

Anyone have a lightning, crystal, or raw weapon maxed to drop to me? I screwed up the siegmeyer story and I'm on my second playthrough about to go to third >.>

Around the Network
Crystalchild said:
lestatdark said:
Crystalchild said:

just encountered Gwyn the second time.. O_o! hard. very hard. i'll have to relearn the pattern somehow, otherwise itll take aeons to kill him.

edit: Nah forget it, killed him third try with 2 flasks used

You're progressing rather nicely  

I'm still on Sif myself, but that's because I spent the last two hours PVP'ing in the forest xD. 

for this, i'll make an alt character after obtaining the Platin trophy. my second will be using Miracle's (Slowdown) combined with a fast weapon and some magic defense. this char shouldnt be above L60, since i guess 155 is far to much to find enough enemy's. (though i never tried, my connection is pretty awful, which is why i play offline right now)

PS: i wanna have ur PSN ID o:

My Sorceror is for exclusive PVP use, that's why i'm trying to finish the platinum with my current character. It's just that I don't want to have to farm the harpies for Souvenirs of Reprisal, but i can't invade anyone with Darkmoon.

The current PVP limit is 145 (as it's being discussed over at gamefaqs and wikispaces) so 155 will be too far. My PSN is Lestatarthas btw.

@Chrizum - The scalability is dependant on the weapon, not just the D,C,B etc stat. Weapons with more physical attack will have more scalability. My BK Axe has a scalability of B for strength and sometimes it gets 2 extra points for a point of strength and sometimes gets 3.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Btw, the firekeeper lady was killed. How do I avenge her?

luvtospooge said:

You got an item called Black Eye Orb correct? Well, when you reach a certain point in the game, much further on, you'll get a message that the Black Eye Orb is ressonating. You'll have to use it in that place and you'll invade Lautrec's world. Be careful, it's advisable to clear all enemies in that area before you invade, or you'll have a 6 on 1 fight in your hands (Lautrec has two cronies with him).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
luvtospooge said:

You got an item called Black Eye Orb correct? Well, when you reach a certain point in the game, much further on, you'll get a message that the Black Eye Orb is ressonating. You'll have to use it in that place and you'll invade Lautrec's world. Be careful, it's advisable to clear all enemies in that area before you invade, or you'll have a 6 on 1 fight in your hands (Lautrec has two cronies with him).

Ah ok thanks

Around the Network

How can I get more humanity? I've currently got 16 but I could do with 30 so I can retrieve the darksword and dark armor from the darkwraithe covenant.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

StokedUp said:
How can I get more humanity? I've currently got 16 but I could do with 30 so I can retrieve the darksword and dark armor from the darkwraithe covenant.

On the Tomb of Giants, right before the battle with Nito, there's a couple of Pinwheel enemies and some water down in that area. When you go into the water, some undead babies like enemies keep spawning forever as long as you're on the water or close to it. They drop humanity, and since you're fighting huge numbers, humanity drops pretty fast. 

The other place, if you don't have access to the Tomb, is farming them off the rats on The Depths (or any other place with rats, it's only that in The Depths there are much more rats than in any other place).

Current PC Build

Just ordered this off amazon a couple days ago, should be getting it soon. I'm pretty psyched to check this game out, I've been craving a solid dungeon crawler for awhile, especially one that actually takes some skill to play.

Ugh, stats and scaling are so broken in this game. It really ruins the experience of developing your character into higher levels.

777 damage on a +5 lightning Greataxe? About 720 on a +5 Zweihander? This is pretty stupid. I picked bandit cause it focuses on strength, yet after a certain level there's really no point into further specing when it's better to just lightning everything. I jacked up my vitality to 40 cause I really had no idea what else to spend it on.

Being able to lightning-mod dex weapons on a strength guy and use them just as effectively as a dex char just isn't right. Magic and Miracle based chars get the option to do A ratings on weapons but strength/dex chars don't?

I know the 1.04 patch mentions "balancing" it out but to be honest, I don't have faith in From to be able to fix things like this.

Chrizum said:
Thanks again lest. And now for the million dollar question guys: how exactly does scaling work?

No one seems to know. How much extra damage per point of strength does your weapon do with a D rank? C rank? etc. I understand C is better than D but by how much? I want to know this because currently I can't make up my mind if I should level up for the Drake Sword or for the Astoria's Straight Sword.

Scaling in this game is more inconsistent than ever. There's imbalances all over the place. E and D ratings are the worst, giving you negligible amounts of extra damage. Avoid having these as long-term weapons. C rating on it's own is also pretty bad, while dual C's are ok at best.

A, B, and the rare S (much more common in Demon's Souls) are good weapons, but the huge problem is that lightning will still outdamage even these unless you invest an unreasonable amount of points in them.

As for the imbalances with ratings, one of the most obvious I noticed:  Black Knight greataxe and Black Knight greatsword both have B's in strength, yet the greataxe ends up outdamaging it by a decent amount. It's kinda awkward considering that the greatsword swings as slow as a Zwei and is a stamina hog. Makes it completely obsolete.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Parasitic said:

Ugh, stats and scaling are so broken in this game. It really ruins the experience of developing your character into higher levels.

777 damage on a +5 lightning Greataxe? About 720 on a +5 Zweihander? This is pretty stupid. I picked bandit cause it focuses on strength, yet after a certain level there's really no point into further specing when it's better to just lightning everything. I jacked up my vitality to 40 cause I really had no idea what else to spend it on.

Being able to lightning-mod dex weapons on a strength guy and use them just as effectively as a dex char just isn't right. Magic and Miracle based chars get the option to do A ratings on weapons but strength/dex chars don't?

I know the 1.04 patch mentions "balancing" it out but to be honest, I don't have faith in From to be able to fix things like this.

Chrizum said:
Thanks again lest. And now for the million dollar question guys: how exactly does scaling work?

No one seems to know. How much extra damage per point of strength does your weapon do with a D rank? C rank? etc. I understand C is better than D but by how much? I want to know this because currently I can't make up my mind if I should level up for the Drake Sword or for the Astoria's Straight Sword.

Scaling in this game is more inconsistent than ever. There's imbalances all over the place. E and D ratings are the worst, giving you negligible amounts of extra damage. Avoid having these as long-term weapons. C rating on it's own is also pretty bad, while dual C's are ok at best.

A, B, and the rare S (much more common in Demon's Souls) are good weapons, but the huge problem is that lightning will still outdamage even these unless you invest an unreasonable amount of points in them.

As for the imbalances with ratings, one of the most obvious I noticed:  Black Knight greataxe and Black Knight greatsword both have B's in strength, yet the greataxe ends up outdamaging it by a decent amount. It's kinda awkward considering that the greatsword swings as slow as a Zwei and is a stamina hog. Makes it completely obsolete.

I agree, they need to tone down the Lightning damage as everyone's taking advantage of it on PVP. Couple that with the lack of a decent Lightning absorption shield and it's pretty much a game of who attacks first on PVP. It's even worse when it's a Lightning Shotel +5, as Shotel's go through shields and attack bloody fast. And don't get me started on Lightning Avelyn's with Lightning Bolts...

There's also a lot of re-balances they need to do, especially on the PVP portion. Tranquil Walk of Peace shouldn't be an aura but an instant cast AOE, if the enemy isn't within the AOE you miss the cast. It's almost impossible to defeat a Tranquil Walk of Peace + Ring of Fog phantom/player online as you can't turn fast enough to avoid a backstab (couple that with the near-invisibility and that the aura of TWOP makes it even harder to see the user).

The scalability is all over the place, I totally agree, although your point with the BK's Greataxe and BK's Greatsword isn't a good one, since their base Scalability is the same (B for Strength and E for Dexterity) and the Greataxe has a higher base attack at +5 (319) than the Greatsword (307). I've been trying to figure scalability out, but it doesn't seem to follow any fixed formula just like in Demon's Souls. My BK GreatAxe sometimes gains 2 points for each strenght, sometimes gains 3 and sometimes gains none. Also, as far as I know, there's no S scalability for Strength, in contrast with a S for Dex (Black Bow of Pharis) and a S for Intelligence (Tin Crystalization Catalyst).

Also, I hope 1.04 address some of the worst glitches, like infinite souls and magic glitching (you can permanently buff a non-buff weapon such as Quelaag's Furysword or BK's weaponry with magic weapon spells, that's how the number 1 guilty player has a Quelaag's with 880 attack power).

Current PC Build