By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

This thread is full of spoilers I imagine so I won't read...through it, but I will say this:
The bonfire keeper at firelink shrine died. I found her clothes, wore them for a little while :P. But the thing is that the fire is out and it is irreversible...damn it... Was this inevitable? I didn't meet the keeper, only saw the white glow of items when she died...could I have saved her? No fire at the central hub almost makes me want to restart the whole thing...but I won't

Edit:...AND, since she died and I never talked to her, I won't be able to upgrade my health flasks to hold more health ever... joy...

Around the Network
ithis said:

This thread is full of spoilers I imagine so I won't read...through it, but I will say this:
The bonfire keeper at firelink shrine died. I found her clothes, wore them for a little while :P. But the thing is that the fire is out and it is irreversible...damn it... Was this inevitable? I didn't meet the keeper, only saw the white glow of items when she died...could I have saved her? No fire at the central hub almost makes me want to restart the whole thing...but I won't

Edit:...AND, since she died and I never talked to her, I won't be able to upgrade my health flasks to hold more health ever... joy...

Yes you can save her but you also could have saved her before she died if you knew who was behind it.

Guys what happens if you kill the crow that takes you to the dead asylum?

Parasitic said:
lestatdark said:

So literally pulling the plug is your way to deal with bothersome invaders? That's very brave. At least you could try an ingame solution, like going to the boss fog wall, which means failed invasion for any invader, no matter the covenant. 

Plus, low sin players rarely get invaded by Darkmoons, especially if there's a player at your level with much higher sin. It's the darkwraiths or the random Cracked Red Eye Orb invaders that usually invade the most. 

I've had one of the "pull the plug" invadees in my Darkwraith runs, mainly because he had run out of estus flasks and had no humanity to heal. It screws up your invasion and it means wasted time. If anyone can't handle the online component of the game, better if they play it offline and stay out of the online.

I've only pulled the plug twice out of the many times I've been invaded so far. I never mind fighting an invader who actually fights but....I started noticing way more of them playing hide and seek, or running away to safety to heal once their hp is low. It got legitimately frustrating =/ 

Trying to fight an invader with all sorts of nasty tactics in ng+ is hardly ever fun when they're hiding behind the dinos in Lost Izalith. If I had Strong Magic Shield, I'd have no problem with using it to glitch and kill those types - my friend does it often.

With all that being said, I'll probably start disconnecting more often whenever people decide they wanna play dumb and waste time. Hell, some of them are even doing this during pvp sessions in Anor Londo! I ended up leaving the center platform lowered - the amount of invaders that run straight for it once they're in is sad, and once I see them do that I'll be more than happy to double team them with whatever white phantom I have with me.

Well invaders are always at a disadvantage in comparison to those they invade. Invadees can heal with Estus and can summon 2 more people to help them fend off invaders, so it's common most of them resort to cheap tactics and such. I once invaded on Dukes Archives and had to fight with three people, the invadee and two helpers, and it was one of my most fun invasions. 

I can hold out my own against the dinos on lost izalith, even without Strong Magic Shield since their attack patterns are quite easy and you can goad them to use their butt-stomp often which leaves them wide open. I never had any trouble with invaders on lost izalith (especially if you tone down the Gamma on your TV to get rid of the nasty bloom effect of the lava). 

I think some of the worst invaders are the Forest covenant ones, but most of the times they've got a reason for it, since there's no level limit for invasions there. You can read in this thread some of my experiences with them, to the point of fighting 3-1 with TWOPs and Crystal Ring Shields. 

Invasions is all about killing the host in the most effective way. PVPs (with the Red Soapstone) should be a different matter on the other hand, since that's supposed to be an honourable duel (as you have to accept it), though I have seen a lot of cheapness from the people who summon red signs (as waiting on top of the summon sign and cast TWOP for immediate backstabs). 

All in all, those are the consequences of playing online in the game. I take on all challenges, be them fair or cheap, lasting seconds or a handful of minutes, since that's the fun of it, you never know how the people on the other side will react.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

sabby_e17 said:

You gain some souls and won't be able to go back to the asylum on the current playthrough. Plus you get an hefty amount of sin added to you.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

You gain some souls and won't be able to go back to the asylum on the current playthrough. Plus you get an hefty amount of sin added to you.

Sin?

And how many souls?

sabby_e17 said:
lestatdark said:
sabby_e17 said:

Sin?

And how many souls?

Actually you don't gain some souls, sorry about that (had to check since I didn't kill him myself). When you drop his health to 0, he simply flies off. Sin is added to you every time you either:

- Attack and/or Kill a NPC
- Get an indictment after invading a player
- Betray your current covenant 
- Exchange covenants without requesting to leave your former covenant from the guy on the top of Undead Parish

Sinful players are hunted down by the Darkmoon covenant (and you can check how much Sin your character has by checking the Book of the Guilty, sold by the same guy on top of the Undead Parish), the more sin you have, the higher the probability you'll be hunted more often by Darkmoons.

Current PC Build

its the darkmoon covenant restricted the the 10% soul level rule when Invading and being summoned?

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

StokedUp said:
its the darkmoon covenant restricted the the 10% soul level rule when Invading and being summoned?

For invasions via the Blue Eye Stone, it's restricted to the 10% SL. Being summoned via the ring, no restrictions, just like the Forest Hunter ring. Though the game always seems to pair you up against much higher SL players.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
StokedUp said:

For invasions via the Blue Eye Stone, it's restricted to the 10% SL. Being summoned via the ring, no restrictions, just like the Forest Hunter ring. Though the game always seems to pair you up against much higher SL players.

ive noticed i keep getting summoned to a player in Anor Londo who wears the Smough armor and it seems hes seriously good at the game, ive never beaten him and ive also been summoned when theres been another Darkmoon Covenant member whos also there. and he taken us both out with ease. he must be soul level 250 or something, because im 201 now with my first and only character but it seems i no match for him.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website