By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many Wii third party million sellers

In 07 the Wii had so many critics regarding it's third party sales - it seemed everyone was an expert in telling us where Nintendo's new system was gonna fail yet at the end of 07 there were 14 third party games that registered total sales over 500K, this list is detailed below:

So with only 4 third party titles with over 1M sales but 08 could see REUC, My Sims and Sonic and the secret rings crawl over 1M sales and with releases of titles like Red Steel 2, No More Heroes - how many 1M titles do you think the Wii will have by end of 08?

Off Topic:  The important ones to me are REUC, RRR2 and Red Steel 2 (when it launches) - i'd really like 08 to bring Capcom and Ubisoft a lot of success on the Wii platform (especially Capcom - would be great if it could have 2 out of first 3 titles hit 1M sales) as the Wii needs full support from these if it's success is gonna be built upon. 

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

I see 5 third party games over 1 million not 4

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

bugger - never did get the hang of that counting.  I stand corrected

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

3rd party wii titles that will sell a million in 08:

red steel 2
FF crystal chronicles
monster hunter 3

ummm....thats all at the moment :(

Sonic and MySims have a shot at 1 million. All they need is a pricetag of $20. UC is will reach 1 million at full price, but it might take a while. If not, the a sweet $20 price will sure help it.

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

Around the Network

There's also a chance that some of these 500K sellers as they are well known and get older that some Retailers will bundle them into forced Wii bundles in 08, Mario and Sonic style in the UK and that may help them slightly.

I can certainly see that happening with My Sims, Lego Star Wars and RRR2

I think the Wii will see the same or slightly higher number of new million sellers (5-7 ish) from 3rd parties in 08 as compared to 07...

It sure is not where the 360 is at for 3rd parties... Where 5 titles are over 2 million and 15 over one million. Given the larger install base you would expect more for Wii. But it is better then PS3 which only has 3 over one million and none over two million.

the 360 was easy for devs though - new platform same rules apply but for the Wii they have to find their own feet (something some devs are finding really hard to do).

I think the Wii will be fine as a lot of companies release their 2nd / 3rd batch of Wii games and standards inch higher bit by bit.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (and Sega Superstar Tennis) could theoretically push 1 million. There was something about Sonic on the Gamecube that made just about every other Sonic title sell 1 million or close to that amount. Judging by Secret Rings, this "Nintendo magic" has transferred to the Wii too.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Good point, it seems Sega are enjoying some succes on the Wii - interesting article below about development of Samba de Amigo, it seems Sega have allowed the original team to work on it - good move IMO

Gearbox talks Samba on Nintendo Wii

There were many rumours floating around about Samba de Amigo being dragged kicking and screaming from the Dreamcast over to Nintendo’s innovative Wii console. However, as soon as people started talking about Gearbox Software being at the helm of the Sega project, most burst into laughter at how utterly improbable that would be. When it turned out to be true, though, cheers went round the gaming world, especially when it was revealed the team is a massive fan of the game. Now Gearbox has spoken briefly on the highly anticipated game.

The good folk over at Kotaku were lucky enough to catch up with Gearbox Software’s boss Randy Pitchford for a quick chat on various subjects, including the Samba project. Most will know the developer for its work with Ubisoft’s Brothers in Arms franchise, as well as the great work done on converting Halo: Combat Evolved to PC format. Therefore, it might come as somewhat of a shock to see the same team leap onto the Samba de Amigo Wii port of the Dreamcast fan-favourite. So why choose Samba? Pitchford explains that “We’re huge Samba fans. Huge Dreamcast fans. We totally told SEGA they had to let us do it. People want a Samba Wii game.” Luckily Sega saw the light and agreed to the deal, allowing Gearbox to get busy on ensuring the Wii controllers motion sensing lives up to the maracas of old. And whilst certain innovative Third Party games, such as Zack & Wiki, have been poor performers at retail, he remains positive that Samba de Amigo can buck the negative trend. “Third parties are doing alright with the Wii if they spend the right amount of money and time. People bought the Wii for the promise of the Wii Remote.”

As for working past the issues of the poor Nunchuk sensitivity and Wii-mote’s lack of 3D space recognition, Pitchford is again optimistic of great results, “It’s possible. You just need a lot of smart people who can do a lot of math.”

But what are your thoughts on the matter? Can the Wii control system really live up to the maracas from back in the Dreamcast days? Be sure to let us know by posting below and stay tuned for further updates…

http://www.nintendic.com/news/1618