By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are devs so afraid of make unfair battles?

Galaki never really specified genre in the beginning of his thread. I thought he was referring to online battles in games and how developers always want both teams equal.

I think their would be an awesome mode if their were say 12 defenders and 4 attackers in an online mode. So if you get a really skilled player like one who has a high kill ratio. Then pit the four highest ranking players against the twelve lower ranking players. This creates an environment that will challenge the higher ranking players as well as giving the lower ranking players a chance to get some practice. I've met players in matches of Halo and CoD that kill like 30 people in a match compared to others who get like 4 or 5 kills. I think this kind of mode would make the game far more challenging for those ace players and give the lower ranking players a chance to improve their skills.

But more then likely the difficulty of 4 on 12 would be too high and many gamers wouldn't attempt it. But what about the level design.

I watched an interview with Bungie a year back or so about designing levels for multiplayer. During the interview they stated they had to make changes to the levels to make sure both teams had equal cover and an equal chance at winning. This removes all realism from a shooter, in reality the defender is going to have a fortified base while the attacker is not.

I would love to see more team based shooters. With online built specifically for team based realistic combat. Where the defender actually has a base that is defend able. In the end it would be cool if their were some maps for example taking place in a city where there is one defense base for each team and the rest of the map is equal playing field. But then have some maps where one team has an obvious advantage as the defender.

In real war the two fighting sides are rarely if ever even. If America goes to take a mountain fortress from the Taliban are they going to be on an even playing field? If Taliban attack a US military base is it going to be an equal playing field?

In the same way war games that are trying to be realistic should make their online game play more realistic as well!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:
Unfair battles? Have you ever awoken in your house in Minecraft only to see a creeper smile then blow up your bedroom? Have you ever walked out of the house you spent countless hours making in Minecraft only to have a creeper drop from the roof and blow up in a second what you spent hours agonizing over? Have you ever collected close to a 64 stack of iron ore, 14 gold ore, and 8 diamond ore only to have a creeper blow you up a half mile underground where for some reason you don't remember exactly how you got there and you don't know how to get back?

I have seen plenty of unfair battles this generation. Goddamn creepers blowing up my day.

Looks like somebody needs to build more chests :P