By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Car insurance companies want to get more control of us!

Tagged games:

Marks said:

I'm Canadian so you might not have heard of it, but its called Aviva Insurance

BOOOO!!! Those guys are a bunch of dildos... They asked me to send them a pic of my custom rims and then canceled my insurace for no reason cause my Camaro looked "modified for racing".

Who would want to race and destroy a mint condition, low mileage 1993 Camaro Z28...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Marks said:

BOOOO!!! Those guys are a bunch of dildos... They asked me to send them a pic of my custom rims and then canceled my insurace for no reason cause my Camaro looked "modified for racing".

Who would want to race and destroy a mint condition, low mileage 1993 Camaro Z28...

Haha wow that's ridiculous man. I didn't know custom rims were a racing modification. 

Yeah Aviva is/was my parents choice. They help pay part of my insurance and they chose the company. Not sure why they go with Aviva. 

Which company do you use now? I have no idea which one is best. I'll probably switch to State Farm or one of the bigger companies once I have to completely pay my own insurance. 

Apparently Canada has some rather backward insurance laws. While the state I live it does require mandatory liability coverage of a set minimum. We are also allowed the option to place a bond with the state. Where the state allows us to pay that minimum into a bond they hold. To ensure we can cover any future liability. You have to pay in either event, but they at least give us a choice. Personally I prefer the insurance, because it covers more then liability it will also cover my own personal injury.

I wonder why your rates are so high. I pay less they $1200 a year, and I have had a couple major accidents. Once I slid right off a solid sheet of ice that had formed on the road, and the second time I flipped my car swerving to miss a buck. The officer was kind of hilarious in hindsight telling me I would have been better off just hitting the thing. My response to that was like the other people that got a face full of antlers. Which is kind of a inside joke on that particular road. For some strange reason they seem to like sliding up the hood of cars right through the front wind shield. It isn't all that funny a couple people have basically been decapitated. Anyway he made some kind of comment to the effect it was that big huh. To be honest I was high on adrenaline at the time.

Its bad enough I have to be insured from SR22 but now being charged more for something I never really wanted takes the cake!!!

Marks said:
disolitude said:
Marks said:

Haha wow that's ridiculous man. I didn't know custom rims were a racing modification. 

Yeah Aviva is/was my parents choice. They help pay part of my insurance and they chose the company. Not sure why they go with Aviva. 

Which company do you use now? I have no idea which one is best. I'll probably switch to State Farm or one of the bigger companies once I have to completely pay my own insurance. 

I am with BelAir insurance now. Aviva screwed me as I had an accident and 1 ticket that was to expire on the end of the year. Then I got another one just as I renewed with them and figured to pay it fast as I have one expiring soon so I will again have 1 accident and 1 speeding ticket next year when I renew. However when they canceled me, I was left without insurance with an accident and 2 tickets. Only company willing to insure me under 3000 dollars per ytear was belair.

That was few years ago and my next year I should be ticket and accident free thanfully.

Around the Network

Wow Canada seems like it has a bunch of horrible insurance companies.

Marks said:
yo_john117 said:
Marks said:

Wow man it's time to change insurance companies. I pay about 1200 a year on a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage. And they've never raised my premium even though I was involved in an accident (not at fault though) and I got all the money I've ever payed into car insurance back and then some because of that accident (seriously get a lawyer if you get into a car accident)

Although I only have the most basic car insurance.

Wow I wish I only paid $1200/year. Mine's a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (not even the faster SS version) and mine's $3500. 

I'll get a discount once I'm 21 years old but it's damn high right now. 

Then you're definitely gettin raped by your insurance company. I have a 2008 Chevy Impala SS and I pay around $1,800.00 a year with Progressive.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
Marks said:
yo_john117 said:
Marks said:

Wow man it's time to change insurance companies. I pay about 1200 a year on a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage. And they've never raised my premium even though I was involved in an accident (not at fault though) and I got all the money I've ever payed into car insurance back and then some because of that accident (seriously get a lawyer if you get into a car accident)

Although I only have the most basic car insurance.

Wow I wish I only paid $1200/year. Mine's a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (not even the faster SS version) and mine's $3500. 

I'll get a discount once I'm 21 years old but it's damn high right now. 

Then you're definitely gettin raped by your insurance company. I have a 2008 Chevy Impala SS and I pay around $1,800.00 a year with Progressive.

Wow man that's crazy. In Canada or somewhere else?

Plus are you 21? For some reason it gets a lot cheaper when you hit 21. Its also cheaper if you're married and/or a home owner. 

The insurance broker I use has a tool on their website for calculating insurance rates and I found out that if I was 21 right now I'd be paying $2800/year compared to $3500/year (for being 19).

I also found out that if I was a girl (same age and driving record) it would be $2800/year. That's sexism if I've ever seen it. Imagine if they charged Asians more for insurance based on the stereotype that they're bad drivers? People would be outraged. 

disolitude said:
Marks said:
disolitude said:
Marks said:

I am with BelAir insurance now. Aviva screwed me as I had an accident and 1 ticket that was to expire on the end of the year. Then I got another one just as I renewed with them and figured to pay it fast as I have one expiring soon so I will again have 1 accident and 1 speeding ticket next year when I renew. However when they canceled me, I was left without insurance with an accident and 2 tickets. Only company willing to insure me under 3000 dollars per ytear was belair.

That was few years ago and my next year I should be ticket and accident free thanfully.

Can't say I've heard of Bel-Air. That's pretty insane they'll insure you for under $3000 with an accident and a ticket, but I'm paying $3500 accident/ticket free. Aviva really does suck ass. 

Glad you've been accident free for a while now, good to hear. 

Set yourself free and avoid car insurance. If your car is not worth much there is no need having car insurance.