By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 price drop not matched in New Zealand

Xbox New Zealand has confirmed that it will not be matching the price drop for Xbox 360 consoles seen in Australia this week. Xbox Australia announced on Wednesday that the recommended retail price for an Xbox 360 bundled with Kinect would be reduced by AU$50.

The move matches the recent price drop of the PlayStation 3 in both Australia and New Zealand.

A 4GB Xbox 360 with Kinect bundle now costs AU$399 and a 250GB Xbox 360 with Kinect bundle now costs AU$499.

Xbox Australia also announced an “entry level” Xbox 360 console, a standalone 4GB unit retailing for a recommended AU$249.

Xbox New Zealand will not be matching Australia’s price drop. When asked for comment by Gameplanet, Xbox New Zealand provided the following statement: “Xbox has enjoyed great success recently in New Zealand and we have no plans to adjust pricing here.” It continued, “we’re expecting to have one of the biggest years in Xbox history.”

A 4GB Xbox 360 bundled with Kinect currently retails for approximately NZ$499.

Sony Computer Entertainment New Zealand recently reduced the recommended retail price of the PlayStation 3. The PlayStation 3 now has a recommended retail price of NZ$479.95 for the 160GB edition and NZ$579.95 for the 320GB edition.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/137919.20110916.AU-Xbox-360-price-drop-not-to-be-matched-in-NZ/

Was the cut in Australia just done in desperation because PS3's cut was so enormous there? It really doesn't make any sense that they would cut price in Australia but not NZ. And I'm starting to think we may be undertracking both PS3 and 360 in EMEAA. 360 only saw a 4% rise in Spain after the price cut. And PS3 only marginally outselling the 360 and Wii in Aus/NZ despite NPD saying sales increased by 400% in Australia and 300% in New Zealand? Seems pretty unusual.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
its all very odd this... a few regions saying price cuts and others not...

I agree, it wont matter too much when the xmas season rolls around and they're advertising, but I wonder what their plan is, maybe just to cut in regions they want to do better in?