By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The FairTax, Join in!

Ok, so I am poor and have no extra money for non-essential items. Therefore I am not taxed. Yet I receive full benefit that the government provides.

Hooray, Now I am rich. I go on a spending spree and pay for all of the services you deadbeats can not afford.

2024 HERE WE COME THE UNITED LAZY STATES OF AMERICA!

Around the Network

I generally support the concept of the Fair Tax, though I don't really hold out any hope that our current government is capable of actually implementing it correctly. People forget that there's a huge amount of money to be saved by eliminating the income tax and the IRS fighting tax fraud and so forth. And another positive I've heard is that the government shouldn't have any right to know what any individual makes (privacy issue), and thus replacing the income tax with this system would address that.

The main argument against the Fair Tax that I've heard, is that the economy recovery has been driven by consumer spending, and by its nature the Fair Tax encourages savings at the expense of spending. However a large amount of savings is also good for the economy in other ways.

I don't necessarily buy into the idea that it'd somehow hurt the poor in some extreme fashion. They're mostly outside the tax system now and they'd remain so under this system. It's the middle-class that might get squeezed under this system, and that's why you really won't see much support for it, everyone's afraid of the ire of the middle class for some reason. Also I generally prefer that the poor (and others) be taken care of by private charities rather than government-funded (and usually horribly run) programs. And the lower-middle-class people mostly have themselves to blame for their problems (having too many children usually) and usually still live a lot better than the truly poor people in third-world nations, so I don't have much sympathy for them in general (obviously specific cases can be different).

Eomund said:
What was that all about... wierd...

Hello again FinalFan.

Your argument that $23 is 30% of $77 is correct when talking about an EXCLUSIVE tax rate. This exclusive tax means that the shelf price of the item is $77 and then the effective tax rate at the sales counter is 30% or $23. You have a point if we are talking about an EXCLUSIVE tax.

However the FairTax is an INCLUSIVE tax. This means that the shelf price of $100 already includes the tax rate. It is embedded in the price of goods and services. This means that the rate is 23%. When you take the item to the sales counter NO EXTRA TAX IS ADDED as a part of the FairTax.

Using this 30% vs. 23% argument is now invalid as it has just been answered. Attempts to reuse it will result in the same response.

Fact 1: $23 is still 30% of $77. Fact 2: Most people, when they think of sales taxes, think of your "exclusive" definition. Assertion: You should add this explanation whenever you tell someone about how the FairTax is a 23% sales tax. I think you are overreacting here.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I'm opposed, Ideas like this always turn out badly

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

hibikir your idea that there will be a ruling class formed by the FairTax is bogus.

Let me explain. Currently there is already a ruling class, the politicians. They are exempt from many rules that the rest of us have to follow. They also have an income paid for by you and me. Should they be paid by tax payer dollars? Yes. Should they be able to specially earmark my tax dollars for their projects? No. And yet they do! They are already a ruling class.
The current tax system can be, and is changed, yearly. It is changed by the same politicians we pay. They make incentives for lifestyle changes and hope to control our behavior through taxation. I can provide examples but they are lengthy.

My point is the FairTax will disassemble the current federal power structure of the tax code. Lobbyists will not be able to easily change the tax code in preference toward any one interest group. Now the FairTax Rate could be changed, but it will not be easy. Since the FairTax is highly visible to everyone, people will likely be much more attentive to tax changes and therefore the current ruling class would lose a bulk of its power.

Now the idea that wealth would create a ruling class might have some merit, if it didn't come from Karl Marx. We have seen the opposite of what Marx predicted would happen in Capitalist Countries like America. He predicted that the disparity between the wealthy and the poor would become greater and greater until it would become uncrossable and you would have two classes of people, the rich and the poor.
In America there is great mobility of the wealth. People change between the Quintiles (the 5 different groupings of people based on income) quite often. There is research that shows this. I don't have a link right now so take my word for it until I can find it.

I want my WHOLE paycheck! I support the Fair Tax!

http://www.fairtax.org/

Around the Network
Eomund said:
hibikir your idea that there will be a ruling class formed by the FairTax is bogus.

Let me explain. Currently there is already a ruling class, the politicians. They are exempt from many rules that the rest of us have to follow. They also have an income paid for by you and me. Should they be paid by tax payer dollars? Yes. Should they be able to specially earmark my tax dollars for their projects? No. And yet they do! They are already a ruling class.
The current tax system can be, and is changed, yearly. It is changed by the same politicians we pay. They make incentives for lifestyle changes and hope to control our behavior through taxation. I can provide examples but they are lengthy.

My point is the FairTax will disassemble the current federal power structure of the tax code. Lobbyists will not be able to easily change the tax code in preference toward any one interest group. Now the FairTax Rate could be changed, but it will not be easy. Since the FairTax is highly visible to everyone, people will likely be much more attentive to tax changes and therefore the current ruling class would lose a bulk of its power.

Now the idea that wealth would create a ruling class might have some merit, if it didn't come from Karl Marx. We have seen the opposite of what Marx predicted would happen in Capitalist Countries like America. He predicted that the disparity between the wealthy and the poor would become greater and greater until it would become uncrossable and you would have two classes of people, the rich and the poor.
In America there is great mobility of the wealth. People change between the Quintiles (the 5 different groupings of people based on income) quite often. There is research that shows this. I don't have a link right now so take my word for it until I can find it.

US isn't a capitalist economy, it is a mixed economy

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

My questions would be what about the states.

Right now nearly all states already have some form of a sales tax. This usually divided up by the city, county, and state.

If the ALL taxes were gone, *poof*, how would the states make revenue? After all this discussion is for federally taxed items, correct?

So, I pay 8.1% sales tax right now plus my taxes on my house and car related stuff and another smaller portion of pay gets taxed all to the state.

Does this all remain? Would I be paying the 23% federal sales tax plus the 8.1% that I currently pay? How would state income tax work? Right now it is based on the amount I pay to the federal government.

If all that goes away too, then where does the state and city get revenue from? Does it all get shifted to the government and trickle down from there? That would surely suck for the richer states like California.

I don't know. I will have to read the proposal to see if it answers these questions.

Personally I like a flat tax system.

Eliminate taxes on various items you already own like phones, houses, and car registration, etc.

Then keep a sales tax system for the cities and counties for new goods only.
Make a flat 15% or so income tax on everyone's income, no breaks of any kind.
Then the state income tax could also be level to a flat % of that.

This way it is still fair for all, and much simpler.

PS: The Fair Tax retains a lot of its benefits (though it does get a little more clunky) if you decide to tax luxury items at a higher rate and discount things like food and clothing, and you retain a bit of the tax the rich help the poor flavor of the current tax code. The MA state sales tax already excludes food and clothing.

Lingyis said:
Andir said:
Lingyis said:
haven't spend much time reading it, but it sounds like the exact opposite of what economists would recommend--up income taxes, lower sales tax. as proposed under the fairtax the poor certainly are the biggest losers.

I think you have it backwards. It's for the removal of an income tax.

no i didn't.  if tax revenue is to stay constant, economist would generally encourage increasing income tax and lowering sales tax.  sales tax tends to hit the poorest the hardest.  that's why the recent GST reductions in canada are not widely applauded by economists.  fairtax would remove income tax and slap a flat 23% sales tax on everything, exactly opposite of what economists recommend.  

that is of course we assume the nation taxes the rich heavier than  the poor, like we currently do (different tax brackets).

i'm not really interested in politics, but my impression is that republicans tend to want to cut income taxes, which tends to benefit the richest.

Not to be a nitpicker Lingyis, but you just contradicted yourself.  You said economists would suggest increasing personal income taxes and lowering consumption taxes (if tax revenue is kept even), but then used the example of us Canadians lowering our GST from 6% to 5% and claiming economists didn't like it.  I don't want to sound like I'm just trying tomake trouble, I'm curious what you think.

Final-Fan said: 

FactCheck.org is about as neutral and accurate as they come. Here's what they have to say about the FairTax:

http://www.factcheck.org/taxes/unspinning_the_fairtax.html

This is the Treasury Department's graph of who will pay what percentage of tax revenue under the FairTax as opposed to current tax law. Notice how everyone is actually paying MORE except for the extremely poor and very rich?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!