By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Everything Sony Touches Turns To Mediocrity

Link: http://seekingalpha.com/article/291451-everything-sony-touches-turns-to-mediocrity

Everything Sony Touches Turns To Mediocrity

Of all the tech companies I follow, Sony (SNE) is the most clueless. The reason is simple: It fails to understand synergy.

Sony remains the only major tech company that's not run by a tech executive. Instead the CEO is Howard Stringer, former head of CBS (CBS), a content guy. Stringer, like his Japanese predecessors, persists in believing there is some magical link between creating movies or TV shows and making the devices they play on.

There isn't. There never was. That's not to say there aren't synergies in technology. But they're between and among technologies, not between technology and content. There's synergy, for instance, between hardware and software. But Sony tablets are Android-based – Google (GOOG) will do as well in that after-market as Sony will.

There's growing evidence of synergy between online stores and tech hardware. Sony's ebook readers are getting good reviews – but its e-book store is considerably weaker than those of rivals Barnes & Noble (BN) and Amazon (AMZN).

The PlayStation video game system does sell millions of units, but its all-in-one design made it vulnerable to any dedicated system with a lower price, like Nintendo's (NTDOF.PK) Wii. It lacks an exciting new interface like Microsoft's (MSFT) Kinect, and when it introduced some hot new 3-D goggles this week there was no connection to the game machine.

The company has remained stuck in slow-growth, even no-growth markets like PCs and cameras, long after rivals abandoned them. Everything Sony touches in tech turns to mediocrity. They got into movie downloads. Good. Then got overtaken by -- wait for it -- Wal-Mart (WMT). Really? Really.

GadgetBox' summary of the company's products speaks to me about the company as a whole:

It's behind on TV sales; it has no phone or PC strategy to speak of; it's behind Apple, Amazon and pretty much everybody else in media distribution; and has yet to make amends for the personal security nightmare it dragged its devoted gamers through this year.

Sony has reported net losses for three years running now, despite owning successful TV and movie operations, despite even owning an insurance company. Its shares are actually selling for less than they were at the bottom of the dot-com bust. Unless the company is broken up in some very creative way, it's something you want to stay well away from.

They can start by firing Howard Stringer and bringing on Carl Icahn.

Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.

Around the Network

Goto the front page of SONY section...look 6 spaces from the top down..

um. i like pie

The games industry is exceptional in the point that there is a tremendous advantage to making the games and the hardware they run on, and that's called optimization, which Nintendo has proven time and again, and Sony themselves have demonstrated. Sony's problem on the PS3 is simply that they aren't making quite the right type of games to really became mega system-sellers, but the last complaint against Sony's first-party PS3 fare could be that they were poorly optimized

In other industries this story's complaint could be valid. Openness is the norm because optimization is unnecessary

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sounds like a troll article looking for hits.
its extremely misinformed too. I believe Sony "made amends" for the PSN hack a long time ago by offering everyone 3 free games and free indentity protection.

Around the Network

As long as they aren't sacrificing quality for quantity, I don't really care.

So basicly he is saying that Sony is too big and too diversed and nobody seems to make 1 strategy for the entire company to be succesfull...

I think he has a point there.. Sony has all these divisions and they are just not doing enough with it... Sony has all the assets to be the leading HW and SW/Music/Movie media empire but they are just too dumb to become it..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Duplicate thread

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=133648&page=1#

NiKKoM said:

So basicly he is saying that Sony is too big and too diversed and nobody seems to make 1 strategy for the entire company to be succesfull...

I think he has a point there.. Sony has all these divisions and they are just not doing enough with it... Sony has all the assets to be the leading HW and SW/Music/Movie media empire but they are just too dumb to become it..

I have to agree with you on this. Their music division is being totally mismanaged.