By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology Preview 2011 [HD]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Maybe it's old news to some, but I only recently found out about this. Real or hoax? You decide.

If this is real and can be applied to games, just imagine how good things might look...

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network

...its new to me, i have never seen this before. and this actually quite interesting. im very impressed and am eager to see where the gaming industry takes this once they get their hands on it.

its news to me?

o yea i remember now this has already been posted but its a good thing you pulled it up.

its old news there was a thread about it weeks ago

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

This is nothing new. While the terrains look extremely cool, consider two points:
a) As of now, the thing runs approx 20-25fps max at mid-resolution. Going from cpu to gpu shaders, they think a threefold speed increase is possible. Still way short of 1080p at 60Hz.
b) Notice how "dead" everything is? No moving parts, no shadows (static or dynamic) ?
There is some doubt that this technique is actully going to work for "real" games. Point b) (water particularly) seems to be the key problem for this technique).

Around the Network
drkohler said:
This is nothing new. While the terrains look extremely cool, consider two points:
a) As of now, the thing runs approx 20-25fps max at mid-resolution. Going from cpu to gpu shaders, they think a threefold speed increase is possible. Still way short of 1080p at 60Hz.
b) Notice how "dead" everything is? No moving parts, no shadows (static or dynamic) ?
There is some doubt that this technique is actully going to work for "real" games. Point b) (water particularly) seems to be the key problem for this technique).

a) Actually, it's my impression that they say that it's unoptimised in its current state and that performance can be increased just by optimization of the code (or something).

b) Just because they didn't design the demo to do 1001 things doesn't mean it's not possible. They only have 9 people, after all, and they can only do so much for a tech demo. I'm not saying you're wrong, of course, but it seems to me like this has more potential than you're giving it credit for.

The BuShA owns all!

mjk45 said:

A fine contribution. Care to add where this thread is?

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:
mjk45 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=132339&page=1#35

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Vertigo-X said:
mjk45 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=132339&page=1#35

He even embedded in that thread! :(

Well, I think I'll add one more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVB1ayT6Fdc&list=FLWv_sIz6ztx5dKAPhmU2JPw&index=1&feature=plpp

Try going to about 23 mins in; there's a laptop presentation! xD

The BuShA owns all!

drkohler said:

Either you didn't bother watching the whole video or you are just outright a hater that knows little of what he is talking about. He stated that they aren't vg devs and therefore soooooo much of the optimazation work can be done to the engine itself. The limitations would probably be felt a bit more on an open world game with the code as it is but all assets can easily be rendered from a certain distance, for example InFamous has buildings which block plenty of view which gives time for rendering to happen. Then you have more linear games such as the hack and slash types like GoW, Dante's Inferno, etc. So far with the engine in its current state it can do these games with little effort and have enough juice for enemy AI allowing for bigger battles with a good level of detail to the background. Optimization of code or enhancement of the current engine could take care of dynamic lightning/shadows and the water effects. I would say at this point water effects in Crysis or Bioshock 1 (PC at max settings only) look superb and can be achieved.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.