By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario & Sonic Forever

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games has been a huge success: a cross between the great first week sales of core titles and the long tail of casual ones which will certainly beat the 4 million mark worldwide even before we get to the Olympics (where another boost in sales will happen).

However, this is only the beginning.

They didn't use many of the events they could have: for example doubles table tennis, other kinds of rowing, other kinds of shooting, various martial arts, various team games (beach volleyball!), cycling, badminton, and of course some more dream versions of existing events.

They also haven't even touched on the Winter Olympics - there are many, many events there too.

Finally, future Olympic Games will be held in other places.

So, Mario & Sonic could in theory come up with (I estimate) four sequels over an eight year period without running short of new material.

Mario & Sonic Winter 2010, Mario & Sonic 2012, Mario & Sonic Winter 2014...

It's Sega's lifesaver, I think. Perhaps they could use the money to revive all of their old franchises for the Wii and DS in a way that actually takes advantage of the controls.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

A lot of people thought Sega's was crazy with their 4M prediction for Sonic and Mario. With sales like these, a Winter Olympics sequel is almost guaranteed.

I compeltely agree. Sales wil be strong up to this summer. I don't think it will hit 4 million before the olympics but it certainly will by the end of 08. Spring 09 they drop it to $20- $30 as a greatist hits title and include a demo/preview disc that shows Winter '10 olympics. That game comes out holiday 09 and the trend repeats. As they make more they can repackage old ones together. It really is going ot be a monster.

I really feel that it is titles like this that should move Sega into more of a 2nd party role for Nintendo. Maybe it is just wishful thinking. I think Nintendo will need a larger cadre of developers to keep the exclusive content coming on the Wii, because the 3rd parties are still showing their relutance. Who better than Sega? They are not as big/profitable as many of the others so they are easy to win over and they have a large stable of properties to fall back on. Some guided oversite from the gurus at Nintendo could ensure a real comback for some of the great Sega franchises.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Well there will be future Mario and Sonic games thats for sure. I just hopes this gives them the incentive to really go full out on a Wii Sonic game, as Sonic and the Secret Rings sold really well despite its not being that great, and of course Mario and Sonic over 2 million now.

I would love it if the recent sucess gives them the money/willpower to come out with a game as great and visionary as Shenmue.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

I'm kinda disappointed that not all of the minigames support four players. When I first saw the game I thought immediately that it was a all out multiplayer game apparently not.

dschumm said:
I compeltely agree. Sales wil be strong up to this summer. I don't think it will hit 4 million before the olympics but it certainly will by the end of 08. Spring 09 they drop it to $20- $30 as a greatist hits title and include a demo/preview disc that shows Winter '10 olympics. That game comes out holiday 09 and the trend repeats. As they make more they can repackage old ones together. It really is going ot be a monster.

I really feel that it is titles like this that should move Sega into more of a 2nd party role for Nintendo. Maybe it is just wishful thinking. I think Nintendo will need a larger cadre of developers to keep the exclusive content coming on the Wii, because the 3rd parties are still showing their relutance. Who better than Sega? They are not as big/profitable as many of the others so they are easy to win over and they have a large stable of properties to fall back on. Some guided oversite from the gurus at Nintendo could ensure a real comback for some of the great Sega franchises.

Wow. Yeah, "Nintendo buys 50% stake in Sega" seems a likely and promising headline.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Game_boy said:
dschumm said:

Wow. Yeah, "Nintendo buys 50% stake in Sega" seems a likely and promising headline.

Not at all. Nintendo acquisition ( I.E. : Monolith Soft ) are very careful and Sega( Sammy )  isn't in good shape yet.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

remember the DS sales are factored into that 4 million, so I think the DS & Wii sales combined will easily smash that number...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Yeah they can include Sonic in about every other mario sports game too! Imagine Sonic in Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario baseball.. heck even Sonic in Mario Party 9, 10, 11

Sonic versus Mario, it never grows old.

On the otherhand Sonic & Mario RPG would rock.