By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

They should just let us use iPods for storage. All new iPods are USB anyway.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

I have a 2 gig SD for my Wii.... are you saying I cannot save a VC game on that after I run out of space on my wii?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

You can, but you can't play them until you move them back onto the Wii's main memory.

staticneuron said:
I have a 2 gig SD for my Wii.... are you saying I cannot save a VC game on that after I run out of space on my wii?

I've heard it's not as intuitive as it could be, but you can do it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

You've heard wrong, it's actually pretty easy.

I have a 4 GB SD card in the Wii, which BTW is faster than the internal one, it seems.

And I had absolutely no problem at all moving VC games from and to it.

And I think it will be a long time before I put 4GB data on it. 

Around the Network

Yeah, 4gb pro duo memory sticks are great...for a portable console known as the PSP.  Having to buy expensive external memory for a console is lame.  Having to transfer a game to the internal memory before you can play it is also lame.

windbane said:
Yeah, 4gb pro duo memory sticks are great...for a portable console known as the PSP. Having to buy expensive external memory for a console is lame. Having to transfer a game to the internal memory before you can play it is also lame.
Having to insert a disk into a machine before you can play it isn't? If the transfer is fast, does it matter?

auroragb said:
windbane said:
Yeah, 4gb pro duo memory sticks are great...for a portable console known as the PSP. Having to buy expensive external memory for a console is lame. Having to transfer a game to the internal memory before you can play it is also lame.
Having to insert a disk into a machine before you can play it isn't? If the transfer is fast, does it matter?

Insert disc and hit play (or autoload).  Yes, that is much less annoying than having to deal with 512MB filling up and constantly having to manage which games are on and which games you have to transfer to play.  With enough space I can install several games and just change discs.  You've been able to do that on a PC for how long?  Sure, I could store games on USB keys and uninstall them on my PC but who wants to keep reinstalling a game just to play it?  

windbane said:
auroragb said:
windbane said:

Insert disc and hit play (or autoload). Yes, that is much less annoying than having to deal with 512MB filling up and constantly having to manage which games are on and which games you have to transfer to play. With enough space I can install several games and just change discs. You've been able to do that on a PC for how long? Sure, I could store games on USB keys and uninstall them on my PC but who wants to keep reinstalling a game just to play it?

Unless you're using the Wiikey (if so, naughty you), there is only one game on a disk....

What I would do is just keep a few in memory and use a large SD card (8GB) and even at 64MB / game (what is the biggest size ,16 or 32MB? I chose 64MB to be safe), you can have 128 games on tap.  I think the SD transfer at >5MB / sec, so even if game is 64MB it would only take 12 sec to load up, not much longer than disk start up time

Actually, I have a question, what happens to the save games when you move off the game? it stays on the Wii? I don't play vc games, so I don't know

auroragb said:
windbane said:
auroragb said:
windbane said:

Insert disc and hit play (or autoload). Yes, that is much less annoying than having to deal with 512MB filling up and constantly having to manage which games are on and which games you have to transfer to play. With enough space I can install several games and just change discs. You've been able to do that on a PC for how long? Sure, I could store games on USB keys and uninstall them on my PC but who wants to keep reinstalling a game just to play it?

Unless you're using the Wiikey (if so, naughty you), there is only one game on a disk....

What I would do is just keep a few in memory and use a large SD card (8GB) and even at 64MB / game (what is the biggest size ,16 or 32MB? I chose 64MB to be safe), you can have 128 games on tap. I think the SD transfer at >5MB / sec, so even if game is 64MB it would only take 12 sec to load up, not much longer than disk start up time

Actually, I have a question, what happens to the save games when you move off the game? it stays on the Wii? I don't play vc games, so I don't know

For installing games, I meant on the PS3 where you can install portions (or a full game of Ninja Gaiden Sigma) of the game unto the Hard drive to increase load times. If you get an 8GB SD card you can add at least $70 to the cost of the Wii, making it $320. But, I guess the Wii doesn't do installing games considering the low space available. That's too bad.

Ugh. The Wii has so much potential to be awesome, I just wish instead of $70 to buy a memory card they included a nice hard drive for the same price as they sell it now. Then you can increase load times and don't have to worry about VC games taking up all of your space.

Btw, Mortal Kombat 2 on the PS3 takes up 248MB. I suppose the added feature of online gameplay was part of that. It's a good thing they don't have to worry about only having 512MB internal. Ouch.

(I want to state that I'm getting a Wii so I'd like it to include a little more space when I get one).