By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people care so much anyways?

Why do people care so much anyways?

It's fun. it's like keeping track on sport stats and records. :)

Also if you bought a system u really like (like my Wii), u hope it does well so more

games can be made for it for years to come.

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Around the Network

then why did the n-gage fail??

revolutions said:

Why do people care so much anyways?

It's fun. it's like keeping track on sport stats and records. :)

Also if you bought a system u really like (like my Wii), u hope it does well so more

games can be made for it for years to come.

Indeed, it's kinda like betting on a horse. You've looked at the odds, you've laid down your bet (bought a console or two or three), and now the gates are open and they are off. You shout and cheer your horse(s) on and jeer at those who aren't cheering for your horse.

The thing about the game biz that's different from cars is that it's not compatible with each other. With cars, the basic functions are the same and they take the same gas and will take you from point A to point B. To consoles, games are the gas that make them run. In the game industry tho, the types of "gas" are not compatible. Nintendo branded "gas" can't be used on sony branded "cars". Because the basic function of a car are the same, manufacturer differentiate themselves with design and amenities. But they are also the most guilty of the "first party" syndrome where they will not let third parties design afterproducts and parts so you have to go to the manufacturer and pay premium for their parts. At least consoles encourage 3rd party support.

I liked johnlucas's assessment the best. VG is about MASS entertainment. Correlary to that, products need to be priced accordingly.

The elite have a lot of disposable income, but they are also very finicky about what they buy because everyone tries to get them to spend money, so Sony is competing with everyone else there. Consoles need to be priced in what the electronics industry calls the sweet spot. Tho that number rises with income and inflation, that number is probably between 200-400 now (notice how all the mainstream appliances have large number of products in that range: TV's, early dvd players, washers, refrigerators, etc). The closer you are to the upper end, more and more people would consider carefully before making the purchase (weighing their desire for the product against the desire to have the money available for other stuff).

Nintendo is the lower half of the electronic appliance sweet spot, so it may often be an impulse buy for some people (tho the often referred to impulse spot is ~ $99) and in general, not a hard decision to make. X360 is on the upper end, but price / perf is rather reasonable. So, if you already have the equipment to take advantage of the 360's power, it's not a hard decision

$500 is often a psychological barrier (there are barriers at $100, $500, $1000, etc) and at each barrier there is a mentality shift. Sony made a mistake in crossing that barrier while still making the same appeal as they did when they didn't cross it. <$500 is the feature zone, where most products are evaluated on feature/functionality basis. $500+ is the desire zone. Here, marketing has to make it desireable based on intangibles. I think that the Bravia marketing did this quite well, resulting in a strong brand name and sales. But with PS3, Sony focused on tangibles and it failed to energise the market. Europe ads were interesting, but did not create a strong impression that links with PS3's function.

They have enough install base that there are lots who have bought PS3 because they are the early adopter type (I must buy because it's newer and shinier version of something I already have and I must have it first). But, beyond the initial, it's questionable if they can appeal to the general populace. Indications are looking a bit weak at the moment

Hus said:

people have their favorites so they care, its like this in everything.

with cars you get the import fans arguing with the domestics, in martial arts you get the judo vs BJJ vs wrestling then you have the boxers vs kickboxing. You have democrats and the republicans...

argueing and bitching about something is what makes us human

And the fact no one wants to purchase a system that will fail.  Sega Saturn or Dreamcast anyone?

Systems I CURRENTLY Own: PLAYSTATION 3, Nintendo Wii, PC

Call of Duty 4 - Rank: 54 General II - K/D Ratio: 2.50

I own a dreamcast. I love it!

The fact that systems fail and succeed is independant of what how people "feel," since all that stuff happens whether people 'care so much' or not.

what I'm getting at is why some people take their system or brand loyalty so seriously, and feel like they have to defend and stand by it at all costs. For example, person A posts something about how much he likes Wii, and then person B posts something about how much Wii sucks and that person A is a kid or whatever.  Or Person B might talk about how awesome PS3 is, then Person A says that PS3 is losing and has no games on it.

What makes person B feel impelled to bash person A's console? I think we'd all have more fun with games and stuff without all the fanboyism