By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should countries protect national companies?

Should the Government protect national buisnesses or allow them to be bought up?

Yes, protect them 4 50.00%

No, let capitalism run its course 2 25.00%

Yes in some cases no in o... 2 25.00%

Total:8

Recently during the debt crisis the US Government talked about protecting American buisness , buy American etc...etc.. In Canada in the last few years we have seen most of our big brand companies like HudsonsBay Company and its subsidiaries like Zellers get taken over slowly. Now Zellers is actually selling out to Target who is coming in.

Infact we don't have a single national retailer to compete with Zellers and all of the countries major companies are owned by American's either completely or partially through share holders.

I remember when Hudsons Bay Company was being bought by an American. A motion was attempted in parliament to protect it from take over because of what it meant to Canada. It was Canada's biggest and oldest retail outlet. But the Government decided it should not intervene and the company was bought up by an American.

Then their has been talk of Sony or Nintendo purchases by American companies. But I've heard alot lately that the Japanese Government would intervene and prevent such take overs from occuring. Protecting jobs and corporations in Japan seems to be more important then allowing global competitors take over.

So what do you think should Government's protect their national buisnesses like the US and Japan have done or should the Government stay out of buisness affairs and allow international companies to take over?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

No, it is economically inefficient and will ultimately harm your country.

In exceptional cases maybe, but it has to be done with extremely high oversight and transparency. Look at how Sweden dealt with its banking crisis in the early 1990s for a good example of how to do it, and then at how other countries have been doing it lately for bad examples...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Unless its defense, no.

The government's responsibility is to ensure it acts as an independent arbiter in case of contract dispute and resolution between corporations. Ideally, it provides low taxes and a positive climate for growth of small and large businesses by fair regulations that do not favor large or small businesses, and ensure worker contracts are enforced and without large amounts of government perquisites.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

kowenicki said:
Only where it is in the interest of national security (financial or defence)

Certainly not for emotional reasons or as in your example in the respect of something as trivial as a retailer. I'm not sure how Japan could stop a foreign buy out of a company such as Sony or Nintendo without a huge international backlash.

This...

Around the Network

In the XX century, Latin America had to privatize the infrastructures of their countries.....
That didn't went well....

Here in Brazil we have international companies controlling important sectors of the society. Most times the companies can do a better job than government, however they couldn't care less if poor people can use or not their services, or if the environment is being f*cked or not.
The focus is profit maximization.
If they have their profit threatened, the government usually help these companies to secure their profit.

Xen said:
kowenicki said:
Only where it is in the interest of national security (financial or defence)

Certainly not for emotional reasons or as in your example in the respect of something as trivial as a retailer. I'm not sure how Japan could stop a foreign buy out of a company such as Sony or Nintendo without a huge international backlash.

This...

I'm with that guy as well.