By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Can a movement similar to fascism emerge in the US?

Can a movement similar to fascism emerge in the US?

Yes 67 56.78%

No 21 17.80%

Not a "movement sim... 27 22.88%

Total:115
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
osamanobama said:

liberals (in america) are completely inconsistant in what they value as rights, it constintly changes in order to gain a bigger voter base. they pander and change just so they can get votes.

and in our country our rights are God given, not by government

Welcome to general politics. And in your country your rights are given by the Government. No religion is promoted, nor any deity endorsed.

perhaps you should read up on our founding documents. religion is an entegril part of it. and they specifically say our rights are God given. not by government, becasue gevernment is made up of men, and if the rights are given by man, they can be taken away.

ps: separation of church and state isnt in our constitution, no where.

the first amendment was made to protect religion from government. also did you know it is lawful for states to have a state religion. also its not freedom from religion (which you would very much like to have, well really only christianity). its freedom of religion. 

So you think Atheism should be illegal then?  Or have no part in American society? 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
osamanobama said:

liberals (in america) are completely inconsistant in what they value as rights, it constintly changes in order to gain a bigger voter base. they pander and change just so they can get votes.

Welcome to general politics. And in your country your rights are given by the Government. No religion is promoted, nor any deity endorsed.

perhaps you should read up on our founding documents. religion is an entegril part of it. and they specifically say our rights are God given. not by government, becasue gevernment is made up of men, and if the rights are given by man, they can be taken away.

the first amendment was made to protect religion from government. also did you know it is lawful for states to have a state religion. also its not freedom from religion (which you would very much like to have, well really only christianity). its freedom of religion. 

So you think Atheism should be illegal then?  Or have no part in American society? 

Atheism is still a religion and is therefore still protected under "Freedom of Religion" ...

Agnosticism could actually be seen as a lack of religion though because, unlike other religions (including atheism), agnosticism does not require an individual to hold beliefs in the absense of any proof.

The first amendment says this

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

To me that seems like freedom from religion is also protected.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

PhalanxCO said:

Before I post this, let me say that I am politically neutral, so I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with this list, I simply found it amusing:

1. If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one. If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
  2. If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat. If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.
  3. If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy. If a liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.
  4. If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life. If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.
  5. If a person of color is conservative, they see themselves as independently successful. Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.
  6. If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation. A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.
  7. If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels. Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.
  8. If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church. A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)
  9. If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it. A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

On the topic of Fox News vs CNN/MSNBC/etc...: All media outlets are biased. There is no such thing as impartial news. The sooner everyone comes to grips with that, the sooner you can get back to arguing more interesting topics.

The only other thing I want to add is that I have noticed over the years a hypocritical trend among many (not all) liberals.  There is a prevailing attitude that basically says "You have to accept my beliefs whether you want to or not. If I disagree with you, I'm being progressive. But if you disagree with me, you're a bigot." Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you can disrespect them.  If you expect people to accept your beliefs and feelings, you have to respect their right to have their own. If everyone lived by that one simple fact, the world would be a somewhat better place. I'm sure there's an equally hypocritical trend among conservatives, I just have not witnessed it.

10.  If a Liberal is heterosexual, he respects that other people may not be heterosexual and keeps it to his private life.  If a conservative is heterosexual, then he expects everyone else to be heterosexual as well and fears that anyone else is "ruining the family unit".

It can easily be turned around.

FinalEvangelion said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
osamanobama said:

no, but i also dont think it should be getting preferential treatment, like in our schools. the first amendment has in our society become freedom FROM religion, in everything, especially Christianity. it goes both way, and it the past 40 or so years, there has been a movement to remove all religion, which is not the intent of the 1st amendment

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
FinalEvangelion said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
osamanobama said:

Atheism is still a religion and is therefore still protected under "Freedom of Religion" ...

Agnosticism could actually be seen as a lack of religion though because, unlike other religions (including atheism), agnosticism does not require an individual to hold beliefs in the absense of any proof.

yes atheism has recently begun to become a religion in its own right. a religion that whats no other (especially Christianity, they are very selective in what they target). they try to get anything that isnt not their religion banned, and want their beliefs implemented everywhere. they morphed from, i believe there is no God, to everyone else must believe there is no God

This is just a little too broad of a question. Nevertheless, can a movement emerge? Yes. Will it? Only time will tell. There isn't any real way of knowing at this point as it will all depend on the psyche of those that are threatened by this movement.

Fascism would probably be 3rd or so most likely on the list, right after Plutocracy and Corporatocracy, or maybe even a combination of both.

osamanobama said:
FinalEvangelion said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
osamanobama said:

no, but i also dont think it should be getting preferential treatment, like in our schools. the first amendment has in our society become freedom FROM religion, in everything, especially Christianity. it goes both way, and it the past 40 or so years, there has been a movement to remove all religion, which is not the intent of the 1st amendment

Wasn't the intent of the first amendment, to be sure, but it's also not the 1780s anymore. The constitution only functions as a living document, perhaps best exemplified by the 1st and 14th amendments, which have changed their function with the changing times

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

sapphi_snake said:
osamanobama said:

i couldnt be more serious.

and yes universities do indoctrinate. 97% of proffessors are liberals. they push their ideology on student, and punish those with differeing views (you might not experience this because youre not in America). they have no fear of repercusions because of tenure.  and colleges get favorable treatment by our government becasue they push out (liberal) voters and politicians. they get a constant base, and in turn "help" te universities. incompetent proffessors dont get fired and get away with everythiing.

as for the other thing, i suggest you watch our news. its apparrent that you do not

aslo for you other posts. modern day conservates (not establishment conservatives, im talking new tea party ones) stand for individual freedom, thats why liberatarians have teamed up with them.

since about a hundred years ago, starting back with woodrow wilson (some could argue TR) the liberal idealogy got hijacked by the progressive. they stand for inti democracy (including censor ship of other ideas, ex. your only a bigot or close minded if you disagree with them), anti-freedom, pro-totalitarian governement.

as for the topic at hand, i suggest you read liberal fascism, by Jonah Goldberg

The worse media outlet existent in your country is by far Fox News, though I hope all the scandals involving Rupert Murdoch and the misinformation and other illegal activities his media empire is doing wake people up (though I think it's too late for the Fox News lovers).

And while I usually tend to ignore all aspects other than the substance of a post, I think it's appropriate (given the topic) to point out that anti-intellectualism has taken its toll on you.

i suggest you watch these videos. whhat happens in Universities is undeniable, to say other wise is, well... anti-intellectuall. to use your own words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU7_Ju5QTyY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az7VZvLGvcs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezH1WTb_x6s&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezH1WTb_x6s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtEXflYl_Lc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehumseq10Eo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjPyLE6YmmI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHTFoa7YDc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=braJUii9eOI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RegLAI1Bhz8&feature=related