By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Windows Phone 7 is Struggling Says Steve Balmer

link : http://blog.gsmarena.com/ballmer-admits-windows-phone-7-is-still-struggling-to-make-an-impact-expects-better-times-to-come/

"Microsoft’s CEO took the stage during the company’s Worldwide Partner Conference, which is held this week in Los Angeles, and revealed some interesting bits about the company’s mobile platform. Steve Ballmer admitted that Windows Phone 7 hasn’t been particularly successful yet and in a year its market share has gone “from very small to… very small”.

And while those are hardly the words Microsoft partners were hoping to hear, Ballmer remains optimistic about WP7′s prospects. Expectations are that more users and developers will be drawn to the platform in the years to come and it will be able to compete with the Android and iOS behemoths. 

With the Mango update bringing Windows Phone 7 one step closer to the market leaders, the number of apps in the Windows Market place rapidly growing and Nokia’s expected plunge into the Microsoft mobile world, we can certainly see where this optimism is coming from. Let’s hope the two companies don’t squander their chance as we could always use some more competition in the smartphone market. After all it’s always the users who benefit from it."

can't honestly say im surprised this is becoming a very competitive field right now

Around the Network

Shame, looks like a great OS

Remember the funeral of the iPhone that MS put on before the release of their phone? Pride cometh before the fall. Couldn't happen to a nicer company :)

Wasn't this quite expected by most analysts. I would expect Nokia to help it a bit, but not for it to overtake RIM for 3rd any time soon

Well of course its struggling right now.

Around the Network

Not really a surprise considering that Android, Blackberry, and iphones have a better os and a bigger app store. :)

A duh, Sony had the common sense to partner with a runner up but MS is just not going to get anywhere

First of all Ballmer never said WP7 is "struggling" so the article is reaching for words. Its not grabbing marketshare but a lot of exciting things are happening in MS's mobile division these days.

Secondly it would be a huge mirracle for WP7 to grab any significant marketshare as the phones just arent that great in specs or imaginative in design. The phone OS has an excellent foundation, but it lacks features it really shouldn't be lacking. Next update should fix that though... Also each carrier would be lucky to have 1 or 2 WP7 phones going against 10 Androids and the iPhone. You can do the math how that is going to turn out.

"Not really a surprise considering that Android, Blackberry, and iphones have a better os and a bigger app store. :)"

Good app store and Blackberry don't belong in the same sentance.  And last time I checked WP7 app store is growing as fast as the iPhone did when it launched, and much faster than androids. 25000 apps in 8 months... Not tooo shabby.

"A duh, Sony had the common sense to partner with a runner up but MS is just not going to get anywhere "

Sony didn't "partner" with anyone. They grabbed a free copy of Android and off they went making phones. Luckily for the OEMs like Sony and HTC, Android and Windows phone OS exist as they would be absolutely murdered by Apple if they had to come up with an operating system for their phones themselves. Only HP/Palm and maybe Nokia would stand a chance against Apple without Android and WP7 OS.

"Wasn't this quite expected by most analysts. I would expect Nokia to help it a bit, but not for it to overtake RIM for 3rd any time soon "

Not sure I agree. RIM will be out of the picture within a few years, not cause of WP but cause of Android and iPhone. Or they will pick up Android and sail that ship themselves. They just don't have a chance compeeting anymore. They don't have access to best tech, best screens, best features and the business crowd is moving away from RIM and fast.  I live in Canada, RIMs home turf...and no one wants a Blackberry here any more. 

disolitude said:

"A duh, Sony had the common sense to partner with a runner up but MS is just not going to get anywhere "

Sony didn't "partner" with anyone. They grabbed a free copy of Android and off they went making phones. Luckily for the OEMs like Sony and HTC, Android and Windows phone OS exist as they would be absolutely murdered by Apple if they had to come up with an operating system for their phones themselves. Only HP/Palm and maybe Nokia would stand a chance against Apple without Android and WP7 OS.

I think having the android app store along side pssuite on the psphone qualifies as partnered 

well i like the idea of the W7P, and i want it so i hope things turn around.