By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What do you think of the new Dream Theater single?

PullusPardus said:

i would love if Kevin Moore came back, he is one of my favorite keyboard players.

This.

Around the Network

Now I had the chance to listen to the album for a couple of times. And it has only partially confirmed my mixed feelings. To be clear I didn't like much their lastest albums (after Train of Tought to be precise), this time I'm pleased, but still there are some things I don't like about it.
To begin with I'm pleased they partially returned to their older sonority that makes the album sound overall old and new at the same time. On the other hand I feel some tracks lack of a proper structure, they feel more like a mix of jam sessions patched up without a unitary artistic direction.
My favourite song is Beraking All Illusions great song with a great set of good movements, it reminds me of Learining To Live, the one I like the least is Bridges In The Sky, because (as mentioned) it lacks sructure imo. In general the last part of the album is the one I like more.
Petrucci is great, he's the one in the best shape; great riffs and solos with some reminders from Images, Awake and Metropolis.
Myung. I wish he had a bit more space. Sometimes I feel he's overlied by the others, but when he hits the spot he always comes out with something interesting.
LaBrie is the standard LaBrie, he's not so young anymore so I'm not expecting the same vocal extension as before, but he's part of the DT sound, so he is good with the band.
Rudess is the one I don't like, he is the achilles' heel of the band imo and in this album it's not different. If you look at great keyborders like Richard Wright, Richard Barbieri or also Kevin Moore, they don't play obsessively intricate tunes, they build the atmosphere, fill the sound and give sound consistency. Rudess is the opposite, he lacks of good taste when he chooses sounds and variations during songs are often inconsistent imo, while he plays over the top too often, like a sort of keybord shredder. At least he is great when he plays the piano.
Mangini is good but hasn't impressed me either. I mean, he clearly works right with the band but he doesn't add anything to it. I don't know if it's a lack of creativity or simply the band want the new drummer to play low-profile, but his performance sound like how you would expect a good drummer to play the track, he has done homework but no more than that.
Overall I think the album is one of the best in their after Six Degrees period, it's good but it hasn't blown me away.

Not my type of music, but wasn't bad.

Can anyone please give me some other good songs by them to listen to to see if I like them? I'd really appreciate it.

Dream Theater is awful. I used to be a big fan (I owned every album up to ToT) but it's just so awful. Don't get me wrong I love prog metal but they're boring and there's way too much pretentious wankery. Labrie's vocals are awful and lyrics are laughably bad. Everything they play is so soulless. Sorry for my mini-rant I just can't stand the band anymore (which is funny due to how big of a fan I used to be a few years ago). Also I'm not trolling, just stating my opinion. They're very skilled technically but horrible song writers who play with no emotion. 

Edit: and for the record I did listen to the song not too long ago.

Marks said:
Not my type of music, but wasn't bad.

Can anyone please give me some other good songs by them to listen to to see if I like them? I'd really appreciate it.

Listen to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhfkfnbAMQ

...then listen to the rest of the album.

Around the Network

Depends on what kind of music you like.
Some of their better commercial songs are Anna Lee, About to Crash, Solitary Shell, Hollow Years, and Wither.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.