By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Wii killing controller in 2008?

So what if Microsoft take Nintendo ideas and improve them. This is nothing but a plus for gamers. Just look what happen to Madden football after EA killed it competition (sadly not by gameplay but by owning NFL copyrights). If it wasn't for competition I wouldn't have got my PS3 with a Blu-ray for $400 (no way am I playing ps2 games on PS3 when I already have two). So I don't want one system to run too far ahead from the others.

Around the Network

Remember when everyone said the Wii killer would be a PS2 with waggle? Remember when lots of Sony fans said it was a brilliant idea for Sony to release a U$ 99 PS2 with these said controllers? Anyone remember Realplay?

MS may release these controllers as a test for their next console, but do not expect it to steal even 2% of Wii casual centric game sales. Another issue is the price. I am still pissed to pay U$ 60 for wiimote+nunchuk. If MS can charge U$ 50 for a wireless PS2-like controller (or a Wavebird with rumble), how much would they ask on a motion sensing controller?

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Casual gamers can keep Wii Sports for all I care. Who knows if Microsoft can build a good wii-like controller with a more deeper game play than Wii Sport.

I loved MS's old sidewinder controller, and will be interested to see what they come up with. Surely the extra couple of years of research should allow them to do something a bit better than the Wiimote. However, unless such a controller is packed in as standard with future consoles, is as simple and easy to use as the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, and MS gets 3rd parties to develop games with it's use in mind (and for that matter gets it out in a hurry), it has no chance of "killing" the Wiimote. Better I think for it to become standard with the XBox 720.

Smidlee said:
"- people say Wii will die if it doesn't do HD, but Nintendo isn't doing anything to go HD and is crushing the competition."
How do you know Nintendo isn't doing anything to go to HD? HD is clearly a factor when it comes to modern games. If a gamers want games in HD he has three sources; PC/360/PS3 while the best Wii can do is 480p. So who knows if Xbox has a Wii like controller plus HD may just pay off in the long run. If Mircosoft is successful then they have my vote since I prefer games in HD.

A factor? To be sure. A decisive, even an important factor? That remains to be seen. Oh, sure, it matters to a handful of "hardcore" tech heads, but the number of people without HD right now remains quite high. Perhaps it will be a bigger deal in a year or two, and then Nintendo might suffer, though they likely will be too distracted by piles of yen to notice.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
Casual gamers can keep Wii Sports for all I care. Who knows if Microsoft can build a good wii-like controller with a more deeper game play than Wii Sport.

Yes, because Wii Sports represents the most effective use of motion controls on the Wii... it's not like Zack & Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy are out or anything.  I'm tired of trolls.  

-obviously won't kill the Wii
-if real, probably not even coming out until the next xbox
-possibly just an elaborate hoax

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

lol break apart. Wasn't this one of the prototype designs nintendo did. They cut a GCN controller in half.

Had so many prototypes and eventually got to were we are today with wii remote.

naznatips said:
Smidlee said:

Yes, because Wii Sports represents the most effective use of motion controls on the Wii... it's not like Zack & Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy are out or anything. I'm tired of trolls.

I have no doubt SMG and Metroid Prime 3 are great games which should be no surprise to anyone as Nintendo has always been good producing great software. ( It seem to me that Wii Sport was one of the most effective software which sold the Wii)

It like too many here fear that Mircosoft may actually give Nintendo a run for their money which I see as a gamer a very good thing and hope Microsoft is successful. So explain to me exactly how it that being a troll?

Cobretti said:
lol break apart. Wasn't this one of the prototype designs nintendo did.

That's why I think it's just a hoax. Why would Microsoft copy Nintendo's ridiculous-looking and failed prototype design instead of copying the insanely successful Wiimote design (when the whole point would be to emulate the success of the Wii)? MS has done a lot of stupid things over the years, but this would make the top 10 list.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick