By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation3's Future?

Beleive me, I am glad that people are lamenting the fall of the PS3 more than the 360.....

Around the Network

sieanr said:

Price, when the difference is $100, is somewhat important, but not an overiding factor in people purchases - $200 and $300 differences are. I think people seem to forget that every console last gen was $300 or less at launch, and the PS3 is twice that cost. Can you honestly tell me that cost isn't a factor when the difference is so great?

The PS2 cost about 550 euro at launch here, and the PSone about 500. Same goes for America and Japan i think. So it's not true that every last-gen console cost $300 or less at launch. The Pricedrops came really fast with the PS2 and PsOne, i'm not sure how long but i think about 8 months. People tend to forget the fact that all Playstation console were expensive at launch, because its been such a short period.

Like I said before the PS3 is in the same situation as his predecessors. It doesnt sell great so it has to come with a pricedrop, and if history repeats itself that pricedrop will give it a major boost. Still this time the Competitors are stronger than ever and the PS3 came pretty late so I think a insane market position like the PS2 had is out of the question this generation. But still even if the PS3 gets half of the sales the PS2 had it'll still be the market leader, So the PS3 is definately not out of the picture for being number #1. In fact I think that the PS3 still has the biggest chance of becoming #1, since 70% of the gamers from last generation own a PS2.

I do think the Wii also has a big chance of becoming THE market leader, since the only way to break a standard is by giving the market something completely different. Sony overthrew Nintendo with their PSone because it gave something completely different then all those typical Nintendo games we've been playing since the 80s. And now it seems Nintendo is striking back with the Wii and giving the market nomore hardcore games but non-games with a revolutionary way of controlling them. The only problem is that with this Nintendo is neglecting the real gamers and the graphics. Those 2 problems could backfire them in years to come i think.

^^it aint much, if it aint dutch^^

Just some quick coments,

The N64 was more powerful than the PS1. It was limited by expensive carts that made CGI a almost unused feature. However loading times were very good.

As far as games. The top selling games during the N64/PS1 era were on the N64. However the PS1 ruled the middle of the pack almost exclusively and even snuck Gran Tourismo in the top of that gen. Just because your console has some very popular games doesn't mean it wll win.

In fact it is a mass library of a variety of games clones cheap ports that when. 70% of the PS1 and PS2 libraries are crap but there are some great games on it as well and when you have a large library it doesn't matter because there are bound to be great games for it.

Power, the Wii does have the power to do great pic games they won't look as good as they would on the PS3 or 360 but that doesn't matter we had epic games last gen does it make them suddenly un-epic because it is next gen now? I don't think so that is just fanboy drivle.

The PS3 doesn't have a dominant hold in any territory. In the US it is doubtful it will catch the 360. In Japan it is doubtful it will catch the Wii and in Europe it may come in second but I suspect week 4 in England is gonna be around 10K.

The PS3 needs a price cut or a game that really really chowcases its advantages from the 360.

BTW I own a PS3(which is currently dead) and a Wii.

EDIT: changed all time to of that gen(refering to the PS1/N64 era)

sieanr said:
staticneuron said

According to wikipedia's list of top 20 selling games of all time, 13 of them are Nintendo. However, only 3 Sony published games are on the list, and those are all Gran Turismo. Indeed, looking at the top selling PS2 games and only a handful are published by Sony. Again, this is wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt, however these statistics are hardly good for Sony.

Some of the titles you listed are critically acclaimed, others are not (the getaway). Many of those games did not do monumental sales, although thats not to say they weren't decent sellers. However, given that they did not move mountains then it's hard to see how your argument holds water, that is taking average sellers and turning them into multimillion system mover is very difficult, regardless of the resources available. Again, this is no different than the position Nintendo was in with the GameCube, although they had a far bigger and robust 1st party support. It's just that the PS brand has subsided off of third party titles for the past two generations and this paradigm shift in their business tactics flys in the face of what has made them sucessful.

Now I will conceed that third party titles are going multiplatform at an alarming rate, thus Sonys strategy of emphasis on first party games is not illfounded. However, I do not beleive the strength of these titles is enough to carry the PSTriple alone, especially when you take the exorbitant cost into account.

i mean we have people on here comparing the top 20 software sales of all time.. OF ALL TIME.. are you serious?! if youre gonna do something like that at least come correct.. yes nintendo has 13 of the top 20 spots..  but i have a question.. how many of that 13 was on the gamecube or nintendo 64? anybody know? anybody know?? I guess not ..the answer is 1.. one thats how many.. so youre asking yourself what is my point? my point is stats like that are meaningless i can look at that list and say nintendo hasnt created a mega hit in almost 2 decades. because everyone knows sales of zelda arent what they used to be.. but those stats mean nothin...I can also spin that list in sony's favor.. i can say at most of their ish is a little bit more recent...i can spin it in favor of the 360 sayin their due to break the top 20 with halo 3.. but im not doin none of that.. if youre gonna hate at least be fair about it.. every console has fanboys but some people just take it to0 far

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

bonafide I was refering to this

1. N64 Super Mario 64 - 5,944,0001. PS2 GTA: Vice City - 6,597,000
2. N64 GoldenEye 007 - 5,019,0002. PS2 GTA: San Andreas - 5,690,000
3. N64 Mario Kart 64 - 4,797,0003. PS2 GTA 3 - 5,555,000
4. N64 Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 3,543,0004. XBX Halo 2 - 4,628,000
5. PSX Gran Turismo  - 3,252,0005. XBX Halo - 4,034,000

as you can see the PSX won that gen by a wide margin but only a handful of great games that sell great do not guarantee a victory. the XBOX had some games in the top 5 last gen but was no where near dominance either. If you are able to list the games coming out for your system that is not a good sign. Ask any GC or XBOX fan from last generation they know.

EDIT shortened titles to not look so distorted.

Around the Network

Never let the facts get in your way when you are too lazy to do the research.

not you redspear i just happened to comment right after you

and i did the research lunkhead

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

tao said:

sieanr said:

Price, when the difference is $100, is somewhat important, but not an overiding factor in people purchases - $200 and $300 differences are. I think people seem to forget that every console last gen was $300 or less at launch, and the PS3 is twice that cost. Can you honestly tell me that cost isn't a factor when the difference is so great?

The PS2 cost about 550 euro at launch here, and the PSone about 500. Same goes for America and Japan i think. So it's not true that every last-gen console cost $300 or less at launch. The Pricedrops came really fast with the PS2 and PsOne, i'm not sure how long but i think about 8 months. People tend to forget the fact that all Playstation console were expensive at launch, because its been such a short period.

Like I said before the PS3 is in the same situation as his predecessors. It doesnt sell great so it has to come with a pricedrop, and if history repeats itself that pricedrop will give it a major boost. Still this time the Competitors are stronger than ever and the PS3 came pretty late so I think a insane market position like the PS2 had is out of the question this generation. But still even if the PS3 gets half of the sales the PS2 had it'll still be the market leader, So the PS3 is definately not out of the picture for being number #1. In fact I think that the PS3 still has the biggest chance of becoming #1, since 70% of the gamers from last generation own a PS2.

I do think the Wii also has a big chance of becoming THE market leader, since the only way to break a standard is by giving the market something completely different. Sony overthrew Nintendo with their PSone because it gave something completely different then all those typical Nintendo games we've been playing since the 80s. And now it seems Nintendo is striking back with the Wii and giving the market nomore hardcore games but non-games with a revolutionary way of controlling them. The only problem is that with this Nintendo is neglecting the real gamers and the graphics. Those 2 problems could backfire them in years to come i think.

Do some research on price history

PS2 in North America

• 299.99 October 26, 2000
  • 199.99 May 14, 2002
$300 at launch, almost 2 years till a price drop that was cause by the xbox price drop

PS1 in North America
  • $299.99 September 1, 1995
  • $199.99 May 14, 1996
Again, $300 at launch and a price drop almost 2 years after launch (it came out in '94 in Japan)

PS2 was 500 euro at launch, but you're forgetting how much stronger the euro is now than then. I think the euro was around .75$ then. That puts it at $375 US dollars, more expensive but nowhere near the level it is now. Japan's price history is very similar to NA.

The PS3 is not in the same position as it's predecessors, regardless of what you may believe.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Bonafide732 said:
sieanr said:
staticneuron said

According to wikipedia's list of top 20 selling games of all time, 13 of them are Nintendo. However, only 3 Sony published games are on the list, and those are all Gran Turismo. Indeed, looking at the top selling PS2 games and only a handful are published by Sony. Again, this is wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt, however these statistics are hardly good for Sony.

Some of the titles you listed are critically acclaimed, others are not (the getaway). Many of those games did not do monumental sales, although thats not to say they weren't decent sellers. However, given that they did not move mountains then it's hard to see how your argument holds water, that is taking average sellers and turning them into multimillion system mover is very difficult, regardless of the resources available. Again, this is no different than the position Nintendo was in with the GameCube, although they had a far bigger and robust 1st party support. It's just that the PS brand has subsided off of third party titles for the past two generations and this paradigm shift in their business tactics flys in the face of what has made them sucessful.

Now I will conceed that third party titles are going multiplatform at an alarming rate, thus Sonys strategy of emphasis on first party games is not illfounded. However, I do not beleive the strength of these titles is enough to carry the PSTriple alone, especially when you take the exorbitant cost into account.

i mean we have people on here comparing the top 20 software sales of all time.. OF ALL TIME.. are you serious?! if youre gonna do something like that at least come correct.. yes nintendo has 13 of the top 20 spots..  but i have a question.. how many of that 13 was on the gamecube or nintendo 64? anybody know? anybody know?? I guess not ..the answer is 1.. one thats how many.. so youre asking yourself what is my point? my point is stats like that are meaningless i can look at that list and say nintendo hasnt created a mega hit in almost 2 decades. because everyone knows sales of zelda arent what they used to be.. but those stats mean nothin...I can also spin that list in sony's favor.. i can say at most of their ish is a little bit more recent...i can spin it in favor of the 360 sayin their due to break the top 20 with halo 3.. but im not doin none of that.. if youre gonna hate at least be fair about it.. every console has fanboys but some people just take it to0 far

I'm not the one who brought up Sony having spots on the top 20 selling games of all time. I just made the correction that some of those titles weren't Sony published. Like I said, I think looking at best selling PS2 titles is far more relevant, and that doesn't favore the strength of Sony's first party.

God of War was great, but selling a little over 1million on a console with an install base of over 100million is hardly amazing.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:

I'm not the one who brought up Sony having spots on the top 20 selling games of all time. I just made the correction that some of those titles weren't Sony published. Like I said, I think looking at best selling PS2 titles is far more relevant, and that doesn't favore the strength of Sony's first party.

God of War was great, but selling a little over 1million on a console with an install base of over 100million is hardly amazing.

It is actually one of the biggest problems with comparing game sales across platforms ... consider the top sales of Sony published games on the PS2:

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec Sony 1.89 7.11 5.84 14.84
Gran Turismo 4 Sony 1.09 2.49 4.52 8.10
Eye Toy: Play Sony 0.20 0.82 2.84 3.86
SOCOM Sony 0.06 2.64 0.74 3.44
The Getaway Sony 0.05 1.15 2.17 3.37
Jak and Daxter Sony 0.15 2.01 1.05 3.21
Ratchet and Clank Sony 0.58 1.36 0.94 2.88
SOCOM II Sony 0.06 2.14 0.45 2.65
Everybodys Golf 3 Sony 1.39 0.94 0.29 2.62
God of War Sony 0.02 1.93 0.53 2.48
Ratchet and Clank 2 Sony 0.26 1.35 0.81 2.42
Jak II Sony 0.00 1.59 0.71 2.30
ATV Off Road Fury Sony 0.00 1.99 0.19 2.18
Ratchet and Clank 3 Sony 0.31 1.14 0.72 2.17
ATV Off Road Fury 2 Sony 0.00 1.77 0.14 1.91
Everybodys Golf 4 Sony 1.34 0.28 0.12 1.74
The Getaway: Black Monday Sony 0.02 0.41 1.24 1.67
Jak III Sony 0.00 1.11 0.46 1.57
Gran Turismo Concept Sony 0.43 0.00 1.13 1.56
SOCOM II Sony 0.04 1.21 0.30 1.55
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue Sony 0.79 0.00 0.57 1.36
Twisted Metal Black Sony 0.00 1.12 0.13 1.25
Sly Cooper and Thevious Sony 0.00 0.95 0.11 1.06
God of War 2 Sony 0.00 1.06 0.00 1.06
Totals (24 matches) 8.7 36.6 26.0 71.3

The important question is how many of these games were purchased because someone wanted Jak and Daxter, SOCOM or ATV Off Road Fury and how many of these games were purchased because they are a good game, in a popular genre on a platform which has sold 100 Million copies?

Now, I could be wrong but I anticipate that many of these sales would have been transfered to another game had the XBox or Gamecube been the dominant platform in the generation.