By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How will The Earth Look like in the Distant Future. (300-500 years)

PBBN43 said:

We'll have buildings 100 Km tall (AKA the boundary between the Earth's atmosphere and outer space. Search "Kármán line".)

We could be living in geostationary orbit and on the moon in 500 years. Space elevators aren't that far away. With current technology it is already theoretically possible to build one on the moon and even mars with their weaker gravitational field.

The elevator would be build from orbit by lowering a tether to the ground while extending a counterweight out into space. (Easy on the moon without an atmosphere, couple more hurdles to overcome trying it with earh)

Once we have those it will be easy to lift materials into orbit. Travel to the moon will be cheap between orbital stations.

If we can make strong enough materials by then it could eventually (say a 1000 years) result in a giant tower reaching out into space. 36.000km to orbit, and a bit beyond for the counterweight. Although it's probably not feasible to keep a structure like that filled with air under pressure, nor is living for a long time in low to zero gravity.

Around the Network

We will not know how it will look like because we will no longer be born, but will be grown in a computer generated dream world built to keep us under control to change a human being unto ...

if things continus the way they are going :

theres way too much hostility between people imo

reminds me of mass effect.

Around the Network

population influx is the main reason the future could look like our current idealistic predictions of it.
Take Boston for example, they built the "skyways of tomorrow" (much like those pictures) but instead of being nice and convenient, these raised highways turned out to be massive scars in the city.
Years later after the big dig, we have buried out roads into tunnels.
Technology places everyone together throughout the whole world, so the idea of the skyscraper is now less attractive for major companies.

Cities will not grow in the ways which we think they will.
The world is smaller due to technology. Any field is a city.
We are getting smarter, The future will be a very streamlined version of the present.

think self contained suburbia but everywhere. New urban housing will spread to commercial plats, then to industrial.
I see a mass pipeline system connecting the world for the trade of physical goods much like the internet connects us now.

green tech, farming, less religion,less cities, more organization.
This is the future.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

People tend to think that the world will be on giant metropolis (or at least the continents) but that isnt the case.  For one to do that you would have to mine at least 50% of the ore's within earths surface.  This would make everything incredibly unstable and the heat from earths core would evaporate MUCH quicker. 

But, it would be possible if we were to come up with some sort of cost and energy efficient way to mine other planets.  the Moon is out of the question because taking any substantial weight from it would cause a rather large disruption in out weather and tidal paterns.   Thats a very bad thing lol.

But if i had to guess...

Lets start with some geography things...

Japan, Korea, California, Florida, Half of Britain, most of the Gulf of Maine and much of the Western coast of Australia would be under water due to either Earthquake activity (Japan/California) or the melting polar caps.  (Gulf of Maine, Florida, much of Britain and Australia) 

Also if the global warming patterns continue the way they are, the effects of the equator will move much furthur north than they are now, for instance New England would be much more like Florida and Cuba year round, and Florida would feel quite a bit cooler in contrast to what it is now.

The Tropical Atlantic in particular would shift dramatically and focus its wrath more on the Northern US Coast, Canada and even parts of Europe.  We are actually seeing this pattern begin to shift already.  (2010 Hurricane season had 3x as many close calls for the New England states and Canada than any previous year, and its looking to be about the same this year)

Alright thats enough of the little geographical stuff lets discuss technology...

Going with the the pace at which technology progresses.  (aka Tech. improves two fold per year, and take 3 years for costs to decrease enough for commercial development)

This means that in 300 years Military and technologies emplloyed by high tech private firms would be 300 times more powerful than todays tech, and the commercial products about a third as powerful.  The same formula we use today.

It is also likely that technology will continue to shrink in terms of size (an Iphone today will be half the size it is in 3 years)

Today we know that every thought we have is an electric pulse.  A few firms half already created highly advanced computers that can detect these pulses, decode them, and display very rash concepts of what an individual is thinking.

We now also know that those same pulses can deliver emotions and even extremely vaque visions from person to person.  (ever get that feeling that someone is staring at you, and y ou turn around and BAM there he is?)... There is also evidence that Humans are connected semi-psychically in a process called "Global-Consciousness"

What im getting at, we will probably have some sort of Contact like thing that we either have installed into our eyes or that we can put in and take out like normal contacts...that can be used to give us information about our surroundings and an ear piece type thing that wll be installed and use much more advanced versions of that technology.  (in conjuntion they will alow you to make calls, turn synced objects on and off and ect.  just by you thinking it and the devices decoding the electronic pulses.

*to be continued*

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

something like this...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

There are not enough natural resources on earth for it to ever look like this, and with the rise of fundementalist religon fanatics, as well as the way intelligence, intellectualism and knowledge are treated by normal pepole, don't expect the future to be anything close to what you imagine.

You guys should all realize that your ideal future will never come, as long as the earth is ruled the way it is, and as long as there are 7+ billion human beings living here.

You want the future to look "futuristic"? Either stop thinking and hoping for it, or be genocidal, and try to exterminate every single human being who has less than 140IQ, that's pretty much the only way for the human race to get back on track towards truly advancing civilization.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.