By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes an RPG an RPG?

As we continue to diversify what we call RPG's , RPG's are becomming less and less what we would have classically called them. So what would a real Wii RPG look like, would it be turned based , real time or like Zelda! What makes an RPG an RPG is it only that your playing the role of a character or is it something to do with the gameplay!

Turn-Based

To date Turn-Based RPG's have dominated the RPG genre, when people think RPG's they think turn based. Many of the world greatest RPG's were/are turn based you have FinalFantasy , Pokemon , EarthBound , SuperMarioRPG/PaperMario and Chrono-Trigger....etc...etc.... Prime examples of turn based gameplay can be found here in Pokemon or how about FinalFantasy. or EarthBound Many RPG's have relied heavily on Turn based gameplay

In turn based gameplay you are usually wondering around in a grassy forest or some other lush enviroment when a creature attacks you this enters a battle segment in which you must take turns attacking the opponent! This type of gameplay allows you to take time and strategize your next move plan out your strategy and take down the enemy in a timely fashion.

Real-Time

Real-Time RPG's are often seen in MMORPG's , I'm not sure if I have the definition entirely right but a real-time RPG is a game where you do not actually enter a battle sequince instead you attack and do battle in real time. Some games that are Real-Time RPG's would be WorldOfWarcraft and FinalFantasy:ChrystalChronicles. Many people like this type of gameplay because it enables them to make sudden moves and button mash. Rather then taking turns you can dodge enemies attacks and attack much more often.

MMORPG's tend to be real time because lets face it theirs a limit to the amount of people involved in a single battle if you go turn based (8 probubly). Thats why Real-Time is often chosen as the format of choice for online RPG's!

Adventure RPG's

I didn't know how you would classify LegendOf Zelda style RPG's so I have classified them as Adventure RPG's. Titles like Legend Of Zelda, Dragon's Curse , StarTropics are all adventure RPG's. Action RPG's are often known for having health hearts in the corner's of the screen to measure your character's health and sometimes magic.

So what makes an RPG an RPG, what makes an RPG anything more then a hack and slash title, adventure game or simply an MMO. What unique traits do RPG's have and which of the three main types of RPG's is the best suited for the Wii/360/PS3. Are certain types of RPG's tailored for different platforms. (Example is Pokemon (Turn Based) a better type of RPG for a handheld while maybe Fable (Real-Time) better suited for a home consoe. Which type is your favorite or do you have one? And when does a adventure RPG simply become a hack and slash title? Where do you draw the line on whats called an RPG?

Discuss! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I have always thought of games like zelda and shadow of the colossus "Epic" games. It' is obvious that RPG's do not just define games in which you play a role. I have started to think of it as a game which focuses on numbers and level progressions. The sheer fact that you can find weapons or increase life doesn't really seperate a title from an action game.

I would like to say the most defining aspect is the weight the story of most RPG's has on your characters and progression. Not only just to serve as emotional burdens but to also affect the gameplay. I choose to see these games, Such as the final fantasies, elder scrolls and WoW's, to have an inescable link to strong number system and storyline. To excel at these games all it really takes is an understanding of numbers and math, which will always keep you on the winning edge. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said:

I have always thought of games like zelda and shadow of the colossus "Epic" games. It' is obvious that RPG's do not just define games in which you play a role. I have started to think of it as a game which focuses on numbers and level progressions. The sheer fact that you can find weapons or increase life doesn't really seperate a title from an action game.

I would like to say the most defining aspect is the weight the story of most RPG's has on your characters and progression. Not only just to serve as emotional burdens but to also affect the gameplay. I choose to see these games, Such as the final fantasies, elder scrolls and WoW's, to have an inescable link to strong number system and storyline. To excel at these games all it really takes is an understanding of numbers and math, which will always keep you on the winning edge.

Yeah, I have to agree with this.  I've discussed this topic with my friends before and the common link of what you can classify as an "RPG" is leveling, an emphasis on the story element, and an emphasis on exploration and communication.  "Traditional" RPGs generally required less physical skill to play.  New action-RPGs such as Diablo still include grathering items, leveling, a great story (and nice cinematics...I love Blizzard...heh), but have more of a physical skill involved and more thinking on your feet.

Technically most games can be considered "playing a role" so what I'm always curious about is how that term came about.  I think it may be that RPGs were made to more mimic real life or better mimic an actual story that you would read in a book or see in a movie.  Obviously that already means there's a story element, and the leveling stands for progressing through life and improving by practicing what you do.  Gaining "experience" in life enables you to do things better, and that's what RPGs mimic.  This also explains the traveling from town to town and actually talking to people to find out what you should do next, rather than a game like Contra where you just go from level to level and kill things.  RPGs are closer to real life (even if in a fantasy setting or whatever).

Games can have RPG elements but I think a true RPG now is games that focus on those aspects more.  God of War, for example, has a great story and skill levels with weapons, but there is a major emphasis on action.  A lot of games have borrowed elements from RPGs, but I want to point out that God of War doesn't have traveling from town to town and talking to people to find out what to do.  RPGs generally have more exploration elements to them outside of fighting areas. 

RPGs also borrow elements from other genres (Kingdom hearts, zelda, etc),  but like I said, they emphasize progression, story, and exploration.

An RPG is a Role Playing Game. Basically that is what a RPG is.

However typically a RPG is classifyed as a game that has detailed character development. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

However typically a RPG is classifyed as a game that has detailed character development.

*sigh*.  In Metal Gear Solid, do you not play the role of Solid Snake?  In Contra, are you not playing the role of a soldier?  In Resistance, are you not playing the role of that soldier?  Devil May Cry?  Dante.  God of War?  Kratos.

You can't simplify it to just spell out what RPG stands for, because that doesn't quite make sense.  But, like I said, character development is part of it. 

Around the Network

At this day and age, most games are the result of some cross-pollination from different game "genres".

If you limit RPG to its definition, virtually all games are RPGs. Games like Tetris don't make the grade.

If you add in the "leveling up/character development" component, then GTA or Castlevania can be considered RPGs.

If you  just include the story element, then Max Payne and God of War are RPGs.

All this is oversimplifying. Most of the time, RPGs (or most games nowadays, for that matter) are a mix of game styles and conventions. Few games are "pure to their roots" anymore. 

windbane said:
Kwaad said:

*sigh*. In Metal Gear Solid, do you not play the role of Solid Snake? In Contra, are you not playing the role of a soldier? In Resistance, are you not playing the role of that soldier? Devil May Cry? Dante. God of War? Kratos.

You can't simplify it to just spell out what RPG stands for, because that doesn't quite make sense. But, like I said, character development is part of it.

Exactly.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

der its random battles!@#!@!@!!!

I think it's good to not think of what is a Role Playing Game, but rather what is the difference between an Adventure game and an RPG?

Why is Zelda still called an RPG? I don't think it is... using that logic couldn't ---

Could Banjo Kazooie be considered an RPG, it has character development, it has stats building (air and honeycombs).

Could then Metroid Prime game be considered an FPS RPG?  Does it not follow a similar line to Morrowind, but just in the future with Metroids?

I think the RPG genre classification is thrown about to lightly these days... I don't think Zelda is so much of an RPG any more and that it is more of an adventure.

For me to consider RPG I think that the game should contain deep long story, stats building, character development (stats, story, powers, abilities etc).  JRPG's are my favourite genre out of them all.

Kwaad is basically right. Traditionally, RPG games are ones that focus on character development and that's about the limit of the definition. These days most games borrow various RPG elements to add more gameplay depth, hell even Madden has a gameplay mode with individual stat tracking that changes over time through training.

On the PC side and with traditional D&D the role to be played is determined by the player. The story exists solely to give them a setting for that character to explore. Western RPGs continue that practice Oblivion being a perfect example. These games tend to sacrifice specific storytelling for a wider range of interactivity.

Console gamers are far more used to Japanese RPGs. These take the opposite approach to western RPGS. The role and story arc are entirely predetermined and the gameplay is focused on tactical decisions. These game sacrifice player choice to tell a specific story.

Both can be quite entertaining although they tend to appeal to different audiences.