By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Project Fast and Furious: ATF Pushed US Gun Shops to Sell Guns to Mexican Cartels

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/15/us.fast.and.furious/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

The most damning project during the Obama administration is now coming to light.

As per CNN's report (which is being posted on many other sites), the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms intentionally let guns flow into Mexico in order to track who was purchasing, and build a conspiracy charge against said individuals. The project has been an abject failure, and has led to the deaths of both Americans and Mexicans, as these ATF-allowed guns have showed up at multiple scenes of murder.

As per the report, approximately 2,000 AK-47s were sold, knowingly, to Cartel members as well as .50BMG rifles.

We need to gut the ATF and jail every person that was involved in constructing this haphazard program that has led to the death of Americans and Mexicans alike.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Sounds like the shit is hitting the fan today. This should be Obama's Iran-Contra if the media can stop talking about how Sarah Palin writes like an eighth grader for two seconds.

seems to me the project should have been to sell a small amount of weapons and then track the final destination of the guns and then bomb the shit out of it...this conspiracy charge doesnt even sound like it would have resulted in much jail time.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
seems to me the project should have been to sell a small amount of weapons and then track the final destination of the guns and then bomb the shit out of it...this conspiracy charge doesnt even sound like it would have resulted in much jail time.

Not only that, there is litterally no word that the program even so much as jailed one person.

The assumption was that there was this massive, secret network of distributing US arms to Mexican cartels. There wasn't. So now there are thousands of extra guns in Cartel hands that the US essentially gave them. The better thing would have been to simply interdict these straw purchasers and killed them, jailed them, or something of that matter - not spend years building a case while people died from these guns.

I completely agree, the ATF has gone too far with this.

I am curious as to why they mention the Obama Administration. I didnt think the ATF answered to the President.

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:

I am curious as to why they mention the Obama Administration. I didnt think the ATF answered to the President.

Same reasons Reagan was tied to Iran-Contra.

From my understanding, very high level people outside the DoJ knew about this such as Eric Holder. Time will tell how far it goes, which is why I mentioned Obama's administration (although I doubt he had anything to do with it personally).

Vetteman94 said:

Of course they do. They are a part of the DOJ, and the President nominates the director of the ATF.

mrstickball said:
Vetteman94 said:

Same reasons Reagan was tied to Iran-Contra.

From my understanding, very high level people outside the DoJ knew about this such as Eric Holder. Time will tell how far it goes, which is why I mentioned Obama's administration (although I doubt he had anything to do with it personally).

Makes sense then.

The people at the top have GOT to be held accountable for anything of this magnitude. Especially one involving interfering in other countries. If they didn't know about it that is also their fault.

badgenome said:
Vetteman94 said:

Of course they do. They are a part of the DOJ, and the President nominates the director of the ATF.

So the President directs their actions or the President is just responsibile for their actions despite not having influence on the decisions made?