By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wow! Unreleased SNES CD/Playstation Controller eBay Auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNES-CD-dev-controller-Playstation-unreleased-RARE_W0QQitemZ230206949163QQihZ013QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out this eBay auction for a controller for a system that never existed. This controller was a prototype for the development kit of the Nintendo/Sony Super NES CD System.

The controller has both Super NES elements and prototype PSX elements (triangle shaped start button).

Warning.... the price is, well, expensive. And it should be.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

That doesn't look like a Nintendo design. It has a horrible d-pad and ugly buttons for start and select. Must have been a really rough cut.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Not a controller I would want to use. But the auction says its a dev controller, so that might not have been the controller planned for retail, just a dev tool. Still, how many of these can we expect to see in a lifetime.

I'm not a high end gaming collector, but if I was, this would be on my want list.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Ew on the reversed arc from the SNES controller. That just looks uncomfortable.

Interestingly enough, I can kind-of see how this design may have been manipulated into both of the Playstation and N64 controllers ...

Sony probably realized how clumsy 6 face buttons are for most uses and moved 2 of them to being their shoulder triggers, with 4 buttons on the shoulder the controller body needed to be modified in order for the user to have a decent grip on it.

Nintendo saw the need for 6 face buttons because as you moved into a 3D environment you needed something to controll the camera; the d-pad was too clumsy for 3D movement so they added an analogue stick (creating the 3 prong controller) and modified the style of the controller body to suit it.

Around the Network

Buy now for only 3000, no thanks.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was Tom Tucker's son from Family Guy with his upside down face since that's what that controller looks like, an upside down SNES controller.

When there was all this talk about the SNES CD between Sony and Nintendo I remember seeing pictures of the prototype on some magazine. I'm gonna assume it was EGM since I used to have subscription to that mags back in the early 90s and the prototype controller looked nothing like that. I call this BS auction.

What are you looking at, nerd?
IllegalPaladin said:
The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was Tom Tucker's son from Family Guy with his upside down face since that's what that controller looks like, an upside down SNES controller.

Exactly what I thought in the first 2 seconds of looking at it.

Good to see this site is still going 

The first thing that came to my mind was the PC plug... I can't believe no one noticed that! In my opinion this is BS. Also if it was unreleased, how come he got one?