By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Wii U a decoy? Or maybe an intermediate product?

Is Wii U a decoy? Or maybe an intermediate product?

Decoy 1 1.92%

Intermediate product 10 19.23%

Both 5 9.62%

Candy 2 3.85%

Chuck Norris 5 9.62%

Mutant Ninja Turtle 7 13.46%

Chupacabras 5 9.62%

All of the above 6 11.54%

See results 11 21.15%

Total:52
Alby_da_Wolf said:
robzo100 said:
I just hope this thread wasn't inspired by the recenty malstrom comments. Not saying it is but that guy is so god damn one dimensional i hate it. for the record i think he is probably the best analyst around today, but his recent comments were the first thing poppoed in my head upon seeing this "decoy" theory.

I read some Malstrom comments, and as it happens every now and then, I partially agreed with him (most often I start agreeing on some things and disageeing on others, then I strongly disagree as soon as he goes ballistic and starts raving), but I missed the decoy ones. I can't decide whether looking like a Malstromite should get me amused or worried!   

I don't think there is anything too wrong.  I just think that it is highly unnatural for anyone share another person's views completely without being completely impressionable and easily influenced.  He;s influenced me, but I have enough will and intelligence to chape my own views from more than one source.  He's a great ananylst but he goes overboard only because he is trying to get others to think like him....but, i guess we're all guilty of trying to make people think like we do.

My main gripe with criticism (not aiming this at you) is that when people don't like something they think that the people in charge must be stupid or blind.  A lot of thought went into this product, and the things people don't like about it are probably things they've already forseen.  They aren't blind to the negatives and positives of their product.

Around the Network
robzo100 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
robzo100 said:
I just hope this thread wasn't inspired by the recenty malstrom comments. Not saying it is but that guy is so god damn one dimensional i hate it. for the record i think he is probably the best analyst around today, but his recent comments were the first thing poppoed in my head upon seeing this "decoy" theory.

I read some Malstrom comments, and as it happens every now and then, I partially agreed with him (most often I start agreeing on some things and disageeing on others, then I strongly disagree as soon as he goes ballistic and starts raving), but I missed the decoy ones. I can't decide whether looking like a Malstromite should get me amused or worried!   

I don't think there is anything too wrong.  I just think that it is highly unnatural for anyone share another person's views completely without being completely impressionable and easily influenced.  He;s influenced me, but I have enough will and intelligence to chape my own views from more than one source.  He's a great ananylst but he goes overboard only because he is trying to get others to think like him....but, i guess we're all guilty of trying to make people think like we do.

My main gripe with criticism (not aiming this at you) is that when people don't like something they think that the people in charge must be stupid or blind.  A lot of thought went into this product, and the things people don't like about it are probably things they've already forseen.  They aren't blind to the negatives and positives of their product.

Yep. Anyhow, as I answered another in this thread, as I know there's nothing really definitive yet, my doubts mainly came from what I perceived like blunders committed by Ninty and 3rd parties in the presentation. I'm quite sure Ninty will eventually release a very good console, but while generally people are quite thrilled by most things Ninty revealed, many are also very perplexed by a few ones (in my case, the only one tablet supported issue and the sorry figure of the fake demos).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Cactus said:
1) They weren't fake demos. To my knowledge, they were just gameplay segments of games that are confirmed to be releasing at some point on the system. Nobody ever said that they were running on the console itself.

2) We don't know how powerful the system is. Nintendo are touting it as being powerful enough to be a "next gen" console, so we should assume it is until proven otherwise.

1) http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4094094

2) I'm not a power whore, as long as new systems have enough main RAM (too little could hamper ports, or, even worse, make some devs deliberately cripple the games they want to make multiplatform, like it happened to some PC/XB1 multiplats), I can be fine even with relatively low CPU and GPU power: I won't ever criticize Ninty about this issue.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cactus said:
1) They weren't fake demos. To my knowledge, they were just gameplay segments of games that are confirmed to be releasing at some point on the system. Nobody ever said that they were running on the console itself.

2) We don't know how powerful the system is. Nintendo are touting it as being powerful enough to be a "next gen" console, so we should assume it is until proven otherwise.

2) I'm not a power whore, as long as new systems have enough main RAM (too little could hamper ports, or, even worse, make some devs deliberately cripple the games they want to make multiplatform, like it happened to some PC/XB1 multiplats), I can be fine even with relatively low CPU and GPU power: I won't ever criticize Ninty about this issue.

Nobody from Nintendo ever said the games were running on the WiiU. It was just a video of franchises expected to make the leap to the console when it launches in a year or so.

Cactus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cactus said:

Nobody from Nintendo ever said the games were running on the WiiU. It was just a video of franchises expected to make the leap to the console when it launches in a year or so.

I don't blame Ninty, but 3rd parties for this. Ninty had at least tech demos to show. If 3rd parties had very little or nothing ready to show, even PC demos would have been better than ones on competing consoles, for what regards image return for Wii U. We can't by any means talk about a failure in platform design or in its game library or even in single games, we know so little about them, this is just a partial PR failure.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cactus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cactus said:

I don't blame Ninty, but 3rd parties for this. Ninty had at least tech demos to show. If 3rd parties had very little or nothing ready to show, even PC demos would have been better than ones on competing consoles, for what regards image return for Wii U. We can't by any means talk about a failure in platform design or in its game library or even in single games, we know so little about them, this is just a partial PR failure.

its time for them to get their game to be shown at one of the biggest conferences at e3

they could have just done as batman arkam city did and others and have just their game name shown,  but they instead wanted to show a gameplay trailer during NINTENDO'S conference.  Do you know how many people watch that conference.  They did not get to show their games at sony or microsofts.  its basically FREE ADVERTISING

they weren't trying to trick us or whatever else shit you want to say.  The system is over a year away, why show a quick port when you could most likely make your game look insanely better on teh Wii U.  if you claim this is real Wii U footage, then it looks like the Wii U can only do this caliber

Maybe just maybe Nintendo is still holding specifics in the dark because they don't want the competition to know everything about it. Maybe that's why they are so vague about a few things. There is still enough time to get the people interested in it. If they have far superior graphic capabilities than thought for example, it wont matter if they would show that to the gamers only a few months before release. Not all information has to be out now. I think Nintendo might be very clever about this.

SleepWaking said:
Maybe just maybe Nintendo is still holding specifics in the dark because they don't want the competition to know everything about it. Maybe that's why they are so vague about a few things. There is still enough time to get the people interested in it. If they have far superior graphic capabilities than thought for example, it wont matter if they would show that to the gamers only a few months before release. Not all information has to be out now. I think Nintendo might be very clever about this.

Not unlikely: the system would actually exist and be in development, but what was shown would be ambiguous enough to consider it a decoy.

irstupid said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cactus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Cactus said:

its time for them to get their game to be shown at one of the biggest conferences at e3

they could have just done as batman arkam city did and others and have just their game name shown,  but they instead wanted to show a gameplay trailer during NINTENDO'S conference.  Do you know how many people watch that conference.  They did not get to show their games at sony or microsofts.  its basically FREE ADVERTISING

they weren't trying to trick us or whatever else shit you want to say.  The system is over a year away, why show a quick port when you could most likely make your game look insanely better on teh Wii U.  if you claim this is real Wii U footage, then it looks like the Wii U can only do this caliber

I didn't mean trick or any shit you thought and tried to put in my words and that you can take back already, I think more of "inopportune": what they made turned into unwanted advertising for competing consoles during Ninty's conference. Using PC versions or emulators or dev kits running on PC, they could have avoided this, and they could have also chosen resolution and graphics quality similar to what Wii U will offer, as graphics fine tuning is a common feature on PC and PC can already offer now (and most probably it's already been able to for months), at money and heat expenses, what next year will be cheap and cool enough to be put in a console. Feel free to disagree anyway, but at least keep it civil and disagree on what I actually meant.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130353&page=1#

Six brothers, one Wii U tablet: yes, whatever be its purpose, Nintendo is EVIL!