By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata and Miyamoto: Wii caused the split between casual/core Wiiu will fix that

One tablet to rule them all

"One of the key reasons that such things as the core and the casual exist today is that we decided not to adopt HD on the Wii console." - Miyamoto

"I'm sure everyone would agree that we tried really hard to go wider, but even though we worked aggressively to go deeper in certain areas, the general public's impression that Nintendo was casual grew as time went by." - Iwata

"I think this (Wii U) is an opportunity for those games that were considered to be core up to now, to evolve into something [with an] even more interesting structure. That core vs. casual debate seems like something that can never see a resolution, but with Wii U, I have a feeling that it all may change. If we are able to break those psychological barriers with Wii U, I feel like we will be able to take our goal of expanding the gaming population even further to the next step." - Miyamoto

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-08-miyamoto-wii-created-core-casual-split

Around the Network

At least they seem to be serious about getting some good 3rd party support and not generic exercise game number 22 or imaginez babyz

The only split was between developers that like to make loads of graphics and cuts scenes, and gamers in general. Any other group split is an artificial notion made so the developers can trick some gamers into thinking they are on their side.

And developers holding out for specs to give their support shows they are just being lazy instead of trying more often to make games that don't rely on those two traits.

This is something I've noticed for years, and it's unfortunately gotten worse.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ROFL, are they serious, if anything, this will just make the "casuals" leave the market

Although I didn't read the whole Iwata asks interview, when Iwata says "the general public's impression that Nintendo was casual grew as time went by" is a load of tripe. Not only is it disgusting that he resorts to "industry" newspeak, I have no idea where he got this idea from.

What people like me saw was that Nintendo wasn't becoming more "casual", but the complete opposite: they were becoming more "hardcore", "industry like" or "shit", take your pick. They were consciously refusing to make good games that made the wii successful, thus backing out on the promises made about wii games.

And I don't know what they've been smoking, but THAT controller sure isn't going to break down the "psychological" barriers, it's just raising them even higher.

Around the Network

I wouldn't say that.. Wii brought gamers together and non gamers for that matter. The whole casual/hardcore thing is just a myth created by the industry.

It is disappointing to see them frame these ideas in industry terms. The Wii's effective declaration of independence from industry norms allowed them to go far, but with drawbacks in terms of an even deeper third party rejection than GameCube experienced

Now they're running a different game with different risks. They need Wii-like success in front-loading this thing with wide-appeal killer apps, and then they should get the third party parity necessary to carry them through software droughts, and then this device would become what the Wii should have been had the industry reoriented itself around it, but the risk of course is that they can't sell this idea to the mass market, then it's GameCube all over again

Though as a gamer i'd be fine with GameCube all over again, Nintendo is in a precarious position until they show what kinds of software they're putting out here

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

WiiU will start the moderate gamers revolution. lol

"It is disappointing to see them frame these ideas in industry terms. The Wii's effective declaration of independence from industry norms allowed them to go far, but with drawbacks in terms of an even deeper third party rejection than GameCube experienced"

That drawback was more because of stupidity among third parties, and an inability to see making games with less focus on graphics and showing off. Other M (as in allowing it to be made in the first place, and not treating the reaction as a reason to disown it) showed Nintendo is being infected with that as well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I say they keep the casuals just fine. Looking at those tech demos Wii U will continue to be the goto console for party gaming. Or are you telling me you can't imagine a group of people huddled around that system laughing their ass off and chatting as they are playing Wii Chase or Battle Mii. Those games LOOKED FUN AS HELL to me.

I certainly don't see how a controller with a hardcore revolution that also simplifies learning a game can be considered bad. We aren't talking about waving your arms around even more now, we are talking about more in depth gaming with less motion involved.

You guys just want to complain. They could have come out with a rumble pack (assuming it hadn't already been invented) and you guys would be dissing them saying its making it more casual.