By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: "No clear competitor to NGP" Nintendo 3DS an "updated DS

Actually it's quite possible that the 3DS is the better take away handheld and Nintendo Cafe is the better stay at home handheld. The 3DS is more pocketable and probably has better battery life and Cafe has a larger screen as well as TV integrations.

Tease.

Around the Network
Buzzi said:
Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

Their tone is similar to the tone they took in the DS vs PSP fight, or with PS3 vs whatever else, which doesn't bode well for them creating something market-friendly

Which means we know how this'll turn out. Honestly, Sony execs have learned NOTHING from their previous beatdowns. Goes to show how much they're NOT a game company

This is what I thought, a company which doesn't understand the reason why the lost their crown was because of their arrogance doesn't deserve to win. And they won't, Nintendo created a too costly and powerful platform, which is the main reason why it'll struggle to reach GB/DS numbers, but Sony is going again the wrong route. Sure, gamers will be happy, but this is not how you win a gen, 7 gens teach something...

Maybe not, the Wii will go down as the worst winning console ever imo.  So I guess you're right.  But I think lamenting Sony's goal of making people happy a little odd.

"it's too big to fit into your pocket."

We have a problem...

They might as well fail both I couldn't care less.

*troll face*

Buzzi said:
Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

Their tone is similar to the tone they took in the DS vs PSP fight, or with PS3 vs whatever else, which doesn't bode well for them creating something market-friendly

Which means we know how this'll turn out. Honestly, Sony execs have learned NOTHING from their previous beatdowns. Goes to show how much they're NOT a game company

This is what I thought, a company which doesn't understand the reason why the lost their crown was because of their arrogance doesn't deserve to win. And they won't, Nintendo created a too costly and powerful platform, which is the main reason why it'll struggle to reach GB/DS numbers, but Sony is going again the wrong route. Sure, gamers will be happy, but this is not how you win a gen, 7 gens teach something...

As long as they can profit next gen and the games I'm getting are awesome, I don't care if they lose and neither should they. It's not like the PSP was a failure.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Buzzi said:
Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

Maybe not, the Wii will go down as the worst winning console ever imo.  So I guess you're right.  But I think lamenting Sony's goal of making people happy a little odd.

That was not a lamenting, actually is the only good thing by Sony. But, again, a company which bashes its competitors after loosing the previous gen because of their arrogance ("PS3 will sell even without games") doesn not deserve the victory, even if their console is a great one. This is of course what I think, but I hope no one here agrees with these words, they just show the actual lack of a reason to prefer NGP over a 3DS...he said it's not a phone, not a DS (regarded by many as the greatest handheld for its line up), so why should I buy it? Not a good speech for a PR...

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

IMU1808 said:
Buzzi said:
Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

As long as they can profit next gen and the games I'm getting are awesome, I don't care if they lose and neither should they. It's not like the PSP was a failure.

It was not but the big part of the cake has gone to Nintendo...if Sony is happy with a small part of it then good for them. I am not the one speaking about why NGP shouldn't win, they are the ones saying why 3DS shouldn't instead of saying why they should.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Buzzi said:
IMU1808 said:
Buzzi said:
Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

It was not but the big part of the cake has gone to Nintendo...if Sony is happy with a small part of it then good for them. I am not the one speaking about why NGP shouldn't win, they are the ones saying why 3DS shouldn't instead of saying why they should.

No they're not...

Buzzi said:
NYANKS said:
Buzzi said:
Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

That was not a lamenting, actually is the only good thing by Sony. But, again, a company which bashes its competitors after loosing the previous gen because of their arrogance ("PS3 will sell even without games") doesn not deserve the victory, even if their console is a great one. This is of course what I think, but I hope no one here agrees with these words, they just show the actual lack of a reason to prefer NGP over a 3DS...he said it's not a phone, not a DS (regarded by many as the greatest handheld for its line up), so why should I buy it? Not a good speech for a PR...

I'm pretty sure Sony PR helped create one of the greatest stigmas in the industry; that Nintendo is for little kids.  I don't know why people feel the need to associate the inner workings of a company with PR.  The whole point of PR is to bullshit and cherry pick and put everything in a positive light for the company.  Why the hell do people associate a PR grunt with the arrogance of a corporation?  It's just talk.  The only way a company can show arrogance is if it does something tangible.....like charge 600 dollars for a machine.  THAT is arrogance. 

Even if his sentence was poorly worded, taking it out of context makes it seem worse.  His goal was to say that the Vita is in its own league, which I thoroughly understood.  He could have said it better in anticipation of the cherry picking media. 

And as for NGP being an updated PSP.....again this is PR.  Anyone expecting complete objective truths from PR of any company is quite frankly, a moron. 

Although, imo the tech changes from PSP to Vita are much greater than those from DS to 3DS.  The touchpad alone is a bigger difference to me.