By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Finally! A clamshell style smartphone

source

Clamshell phones were a once trendy design used for cellphones all over the world. But since the inception of smartphones, the trend seems to have died down, as it didn’t make its way over to the smartphone world. Until today. In the land of the rising sun, Japan, it appears that the clamshell form factor is still fashionable and it looks like Sharp is about to capitalize on that fact with the introduction of the Sharp AQUOS Phone The Hybrid 007SH, the world’s first Android clamshell phone.

The Hybrid 007SH packs a 3.4″ WVGA 3D New Mobile ASV touchscreen, a 16.10megapixel rear camera with 720p video recording mode as well as 3D photo and 3D video mode, AQUOS TV connector, WiFi, Bluetooth and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). To top it off, it has an IPX5/IPX7 waterproof body just in case it does become the victim of your party drink. And just like any clamshell, it features a flip out numerical keypad (similar to the IS11H introduced yesterday).

Clever move by Sharp there – disguising an Android phone as a feature phone is going to draw a lot of people into the world of smartphones. We’ll probably never see this phone on our shores, but it’s nice to know that other companies out there are bringing it to the table.

Good call Sharp. Looking forward to buying one when my shitty Telus contract expire this Dec.

Around the Network

Holy crap! I want one! I just got rid of my smartphone cause I just hate most smartphone designs and lack of real keys. I don't mind touch screen for some things, but man dialing numbers is always a bitch on them. I like clamshell cause I'm dude who just wants to shove my phone in my pocket and not worry about scratchs and stuff. If this comes stateside, I'm in!

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

too bad like japanese games it's not going to get a western release :(

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

ehhh, ugly and virtual kb for everything but gaming ftw, plus 3.4" is toooooo small. 4" ftw!

This would be awkward to hold sideways...

Around the Network

eeew :(

that thing does not look good at all

It looks like a smartphone for old people. 

If I see someone with that in real life, I'm gonna make it my mission to laugh at them.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Looks good to me. I can't use touch screens and basically refuse to do so, so this is right up my alley.

Rath said:

This would be awkward to hold sideways...

Exactly. lol. That design is awful. Virtual numberpads works well enough in my experience.