By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama calls for Israel to restore 1967 boundaries

Nice. Though my pessimistic half is fearing that this is just pandering to Arabs while we'll continue to let Israel off the hook, but if he substantially stands behind this, this'll prove a tectonic shift if Israel no longer gets carte blanche to do as they please.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

This is nothing in comparison to a recognition of the "right to return" of Palestinians...But we all know that is not going to happen in our lifetime or ever.

His speech was a big meh if you ask me...

- No word about Saudi Arabia

- Calling Iran hypocrits while half the Arabian worlds think.....'If USA did not supported the dictators themself at first' Basically a Hypocrit calling an other one an Hypocrit.

- Saying that the leaders in Syria can stay, so long their is change...What is happening in Syria is ten times worse than Egypt and Mubarak don't understand Assad can stay.

- The financial help is like an extra light- Marshallplan;..  The country is a mess..A few billion will not help it is like giving an guy who lost his house and is with his neck in the debts 20 bucks and hope that will be a lifechanger;..
Not that USA should give financial help though but it sounds so absurd to say you will help and only give this amount;.

And I could go on;.

Must say that his words about Israël are a good sign but overall he dissapoints me;..If their was one thing Obama was good in then it was in giving an speech sadly this one was not worth it.

ImJustBayuum said:

This is nothing in comparison to a recognition of the "right to return" of Palestinians...But we all know that is not going to happen in our lifetime or ever.

Right of return will never happen because it would damn near stop Israel being a Jewish state. Which they won't allow.

The Palestinians know that as well, which is why they will use giving up the right of return as a bargaining chip.

But fuck yeah Obama! It's nice to see the head of the chief negotiator between the two sides not blatantly pander to their ally. The 1967 borders simply must be the start of negotiations - and East Jerusalem simply must be Palestinian.

why does everyone ive seen discussing this topic, regardless of which side they are on, completely forget to say he said with land swaps.  the 1967 borders are to be used as a rough marker for how much land should be swapped for whatever the israelis will keep.   i mean...it was one sentence even...and everyone stops listening after the first half of it?

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:

why does everyone ive seen discussing this topic, regardless of which side they are on, completely forget to say he said with land swaps.  the 1967 borders are to be used as a rough marker for how much land should be swapped for whatever the israelis will keep.   i mean...it was one sentence even...and everyone stops listening after the first half of it?

We're too focused on the fact that Obama's come out publicly for Israeli withdrawal

Though terms should dictate that if Palestinians get land out in what is today uncontested Israel, they should be allowed to set up ultra-restrictive checkpoints and fences and stuff, if the Israelis are allowed to keep theirs.

Either that or the settlers (on both sides) should be held liable to the laws and taxations of the side they live on.

Mr Khan said:
MrBubbles said:

We're too focused on the fact that Obama's come out publicly for Israeli withdrawal

Though terms should dictate that if Palestinians get land out in what is today uncontested Israel, they should be allowed to set up ultra-restrictive checkpoints and fences and stuff, if the Israelis are allowed to keep theirs.

Either that or the settlers (on both sides) should be held liable to the laws and taxations of the side they live on.

he did not call for a withdrawal

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
Mr Khan said:
MrBubbles said:

Right, right, just recognition. Hmm :/

Mr Khan said:
MrBubbles said:
Mr Khan said:
MrBubbles said:

Right, right, just recognition. Hmm :/

i dont see anywhere where he told israel to recognize the 1967 lines as the border.  nor did he call for that border to be "restored".   so...hmmm...right.

MrBubbles said:

Land swaps are going to happen, that's simple fact. But the important part of the sentence wasn't the bit about land swaps, it was calling for the borders to be based around the 1967 ones.