By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Headset that can use HDMI on PS3?

So I was looking to get a new headset, and what I've heard is that you can't run HDMI. In a few cases this isn't true, for the Xbox 360 there is a converter and you can easily run HDMI through say Trittons and Turtle Beaches. But with the PS3 I have yet to find such a cable.

Am I missing something or will I have to give up HDMI if I want to use Trittons or Turtle Beaches.

Around the Network

BUMP, sorry I really need to know this if anyone can help.

What do you mean?  Do the headsets you speak of plug into the TV's HDMI port?  Or do you mean that you can't use the HDMI ports on your TV for video and use headphones?

I have the PX21 headset from Turtle Beach.  My consoles are all connected to the TV via HDMI cables--as well as a PC via VGA cable, Direct TV via HDMI, and a Wii via Component.  All I do is hook the Headset to the "Audio Out" on the back of the TV.  It even has pass through cables so that I can still connect my sound system via the same audio ports.

Just plug these particular headphones into a USB port (either on the TV, PS3, or 360) and you're good to go.  I'm aware of wireless options and blue tooth enabled devices that are on the market too.  If you're worried about not being able to use the HDMI on your tv, don't be.  If, for some reason, your TV doesn't have "audio out" (and I don't know why that could possibly be), just connect your console to the HDMI with the HDMI cable AND connect the RGB cables.  Connect teh RGB audio cables to your headset.  You should be set (no pun intended).

For the record, the PX21 headset I speak of works for every device that allows for voice chatting (PC, PS3, 360) which is why I bought them.  I can hear the games audio as well as the voice chatting with different settings for both.  It's pretty sweet!  The only downside is that if I use the USB on the TV instead of the USB on the PS3 or 360 to power them, there's a distinct "buzz" that can drive you crazy!

I have the Tritton AX Pros and I have my 360 and PS3 hooked up using HDMI.  But for the audio to the headsets I use the Optical Out connection.  No need for a converter just a Optical Cable to the converter box that comes with the headset.

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:

I have the Tritton AX Pros and I have my 360 and PS3 hooked up using HDMI.  But for the audio to the headsets I use the Optical Out connection.  No need for a converter just a Optical Cable to the converter box that comes with the headset.

A fellow AX PRO owner here and I only have a 360 but what is stated here is true.

@d21lewis, I could be wrong but I thought the audio out on tv's is only in stereo. 

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

I just dock the ps3 blue tooth headset near me and use normal headphones since I get better quality on both fronts.

toadslayer72 said:
Vetteman94 said:

A fellow AX PRO owner here and I only have a 360 but what is stated here is true.

@d21lewis, I could be wrong but I thought the audio out on tv's is only in stereo. 

It is--but the PX21's are only in stereo, too.  :(  By the time I found out, it was too late.

i used to use my phone, just connected it with bluetooth, plugged headphones in and it worked fine.

now i use a bluetooth headset

cory.ok said:

i used to use my phone, just connected it with bluetooth, plugged headphones in and it worked fine.

now i use a bluetooth headset

I think using a "real" headset is more about immersion (like hearing someone sneak up on you in Call or Duty or knowing exactly where gunfire is coming fromm) than communication.  I even use my headphones for non-online games. 

Anyway, OP--do what I did.  Go to youtube, type in exactly which headphones you're interested in and watch a review/set up video.  You should be in good hands.