By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Mafia Round 29 -Grand Theft Auto 4 edition!

Stefl submitted a QUESTION, because he was instructed to do so: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4105153

Around the Network
Linkzmax said:
Stefl submitted a QUESTION, because he was instructed to do so: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4105153

Yeah, and all I'm saying is that just because questions are normally answered "Yes/No" while ABC answered them "True/False" (meaning yes it's true or no it's false) doesn't really justify Stefl's misinterpretation. 

Also, since you bring up the subject of following instructions, if Stefl had followed the example more closely it would never have happened.  Instead of asking "did he lie when he said he is x" and getting False (he didn't lie) Stefl would have asked "is he x" and he would have gotten True (he is). 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Linkzmax said:

Yeah, and all I'm saying is that just because questions are normally answered "Yes/No" while ABC answered them "True/False" (meaning yes it's true or no it's false) doesn't really justify Stefl's misinterpretation. 

Also, since you bring up the subject of following instructions, if Stefl had followed the example more closely it would never have happened.  Instead of asking "did he lie when he said he is x" and getting False (he didn't lie) Stefl would have asked "is he x" and he would have gotten True (he is). 

But English isn't a computer language where True=Yes and False=No.(as far as boolean goes) They're related yes, but it's not absolutely clear, especially if an odd question is asked.

Yes, Stefl didn't ask a clear question in the format given. No, ABC didn't do things grammatically/logically correct from the start, nor did he have Stefl restate the question or clarify the answer. Stefl coming to the wrong conclusion is quite understandable. I don't blame ABC much though, because it was still possible to figure things out. ABC also gave town plenty of hints(basically telling me ST was town, essentially clearing Vette, and practically making Tracker a role cop as well) that it probably shouldn't have gotten. I don't think Mafia was as underpowered as ABC thought they were to start off, but it turned out to be pretty good balance wise.

Well, the alternative interpretation in this case (which IIRC is how Stefl in fact said he intepreted it) is "Linkzmax was being false, i.e. yes he lied", which is (while not a crazy way to read it) clearly a bizarre interpretation compared to "It's false that he lied".

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:
Well, the alternative interpretation in this case (which IIRC is how Stefl in fact said he intepreted it) is "Linkzmax was being false, i.e. yes he lied", which is (while not a crazy way to read it) clearly a bizarre interpretation compared to "It's false that he lied".

English also isn't his first language

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
Final-Fan said:

I don't know how that would explain this, but then I don't know his first language. 

Final-Fan said:
Wonktonodi said:
Final-Fan said:

I don't know how that would explain this, but then I don't know his first language. 

isn't he austrian? then german... like bruno... :p

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO