By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Game Studios Family recruits for another new first party studio

UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Ohhhhhh yea, I can only imagine a shit ton of games (hardcore) coming out this fall, be it Kinect or not.

Lets review whats coming to the 360 (this fall mostly) which might interest the hardcore:

-Forza 4

-Halo Combat re-evolved (Heavily rumoured)

-Gears 3

-Steel Batalion

-Alan Wake (New but not 2)

-Haunt

-Codename D (Looks to be promising)

-Rise of Nightmares (House of the dead Kinect anyone?)

-Gunstringer (IMO doesn't look that great, but still might be good)-XBLA

-Project Draco (Looks to be beast)-XBLA

-Rare, Vancouver and this new studio all working on new games.

-I may have missed some, so put them in if I have.

Now I know not all of these games are what you would call AAA titles, but several of them are new IPs, so you have to give them a chance to debut before passing on judgement (Plus new IPs are always good for the industry). On top of this, there are probably gonna be a lot more games MS will debut in E3 for either a fall release or for 2012.

Rare working on kinect sports 2 and most of those games are kinect games so probably not hardcore (even if MS calls them hardcore) and we haven't seen anything substanical for any of those games, your list seems to be wishful thinking

So you are saying Steel Battalion and Rise of Nightmares are gonna be casual?

I don't know about you, but my grandma would probably have a heart attack if she played sometime like RoN.

Kinect doesn't necessarily have to be ALL casual, and seeing as the 360's install base is mostly hardcore, it would make sense for MS to try and push Kinect towards the hardcore as well. All the games that have been named have been either shown or confirmed at some point or another, so they are not wishful thinking, but some of them may be delayed to 2012. We will probably find out more at E3.

Lack of control makes making a real game with kinect nearly impossible the games have ipad controls at best, they can get away with it with a rts but thats about it, and lots of gore does not make the gameplay hardcore, a skin is a skin you can use the same game with rainbows and bunnies that turn into unicorns and fly away when you shoot it with a rainbow it's still the same gameplay 

Around the Network
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Ohhhhhh yea, I can only imagine a shit ton of games (hardcore) coming out this fall, be it Kinect or not.

Lets review whats coming to the 360 (this fall mostly) which might interest the hardcore:

-Forza 4

-Gears 3

-Steel Batalion

-Haunt

Now I know not all of these games are what you would call AAA titles, but several of them are new IPs, so you have to give them a chance to debut before passing on judgement (Plus new IPs are always good for the industry). On top of this, there are probably gonna be a lot more games MS will debut in E3 for either a fall release or for 2012.

Rare working on kinect sports 2 and most of those games are kinect games so probably not hardcore (even if MS calls them hardcore) and we haven't seen anything substanical for any of those games, your list seems to be wishful thinking

I don't know about you, but my grandma would probably have a heart attack if she played sometime like RoN.

Kinect doesn't necessarily have to be ALL casual, and seeing as the 360's install base is mostly hardcore, it would make sense for MS to try and push Kinect towards the hardcore as well. All the games that have been named have been either shown or confirmed at some point or another, so they are not wishful thinking, but some of them may be delayed to 2012. We will probably find out more at E3.

Lack of control makes making a real game with kinect nearly impossible the games have ipad controls at best, they can get away with it with a rts but thats about it, and lots of gore does not make the gameplay hardcore, a skin is a skin you can use the same game with rainbows and bunnies that turn into unicorns and fly away when you shoot it with a rainbow it's still the same gameplay 

You can't judge whether a game is going to be good or not before it comes out.

Also, we have yet to see kinect being implimented in many games, so we can't tell what Kinect controls can be used for, without hands on experience. I personally think Kinect has great potential used as a secondary controller to the conventional one, which would open up more control options. I am especially liking what they are doing with Forza 4 where Kinect is supported besides the regular controller..

UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:

-Forza 4

-Gears 3

-Steel Batalion

-Haunt

Also, we have yet to see kinect being implimented in many games, so we can't tell what Kinect controls can be used for, without hands on experience. I personally think Kinect has great potential used as a secondary controller to the conventional one, which would open up more control options. I am especially liking what they are doing with Forza 4 where Kinect is supported besides the regular controller..

We don't even have a tech demo of it working theres like a dozen tech demos with move doing cool things and not one of kinect that would be useable in a real game and with forza isn't it just in the viewer you can use kinect instead of the analogue hardly supported

zarx said:
epicberserk said:
Seece said:
Nsanity said:
Seece said:
Nsanity said:
BenVTrigger said:

So basically thats 3 new 1st party studios created or heavily expanded in the past 2 weeks?

Sounds like MS is getting very serious about investing and expanding their internal games development, which is awesome news for gamers everywhere!

Dont you mean 2 studios?

No,

Vancouver studio, near Bioware, London - Soho studio, and then this new studio in Redmond.

When did this happen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios#cite_note-8

All there!

• In May 2011, MGS opened a Vancouver-based studio MGS Vancouver.[8]
  • In May 2011, MGS opened a London based Soho Studios.[9]

lol I was the one that added them to wikipedia haha , but :( someone deleted my  firebird studio of microsoft game studios tho

That is probably because there is no real evidence that firebird are developing a game themselves.

Lol so it was you who deleted it from wikipedia xD

Sounds to me like MS is ramping up in anticipation of a new console launch.

Around the Network
daroamer said:

Sounds to me like MS is ramping up in anticipation of a new console launch.

i Sure hope so i have friends that dont wana believe the next gen is coming so i wana shut their dumb mouths up so please microsoft annouce your next console

Shadowblind said:
zarx said:
BenVTrigger said:

So basically thats 3 new 1st party studios created or heavily expanded in the past 2 weeks?

Sounds like MS is getting very serious about investing and expanding their internal games development, which is awesome news for gamers everywhere!

Well the gamers that like Kinect anyway, us PC gamers feel rather left out since they closed Ensemble. 

http://kotaku.com/5672254/microsoft-we-are-doubling-down-on-pc-games

they say that every other year and so far all they have done is outsource the very dissapointing Age of Empires online and announe a new MS flight game, oh and a months late port of the aparently highly dissapointing Fable 3 which they then announce is going to come out the same day as the Witcher 2 so they can turn arround and say it didn't sell so they aren't going to port more games. If they were serius they wouldn't have canceled the PC version of the origonaly PC exclusive Alen Wake, not force Ensomble to make console games and an Halo MMO and then shut them down because they became less productive, they would have green lit ports of Halo 3/Reach, Gears of war 2/3 etc etc.

Actions speak much louder than repeated empty words

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:

-Forza 4

-Gears 3

-Steel Batalion

-Haunt

We don't even have a tech demo of it working theres like a dozen tech demos with move doing cool things and not one of kinect that would be useable in a real game and with forza isn't it just in the viewer you can use kinect instead of the analogue hardly supported

Why don't you wait for E3 instead of downplaying like your life depends on it?

Forza has many Kinect features, sure most of them are to attrack casuals but if you don't like them just ignore them and only use the d-pad. Not only will you be able to fully use gesture to look every car parts, casuals will be able to play with an invisible wheel and head tracking to look in dead angles. These are minor implementations but they are a welcomed addition.

And about your "lack of control", finding new ways to play hardcore games are why Microsoft is building these studios. Moan all you want but at some point there will be better games would they be hardcore or not is all about fun and if Kinect doesn't bring fun to you then don't buy one...

Jazz2K said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:
spammythesmartone said:
UltimateUnknown said:

-Forza 4

-Gears 3

-Steel Batalion

-Haunt

Why don't you wait for E3 instead of downplaying like your life depends on it?

Forza has many Kinect features, sure most of them are to attrack casuals but if you don't like them just ignore them and only use the d-pad. Not only will you be able to fully use gesture to look every car parts, casuals will be able to play with an invisible wheel and head tracking to look in dead angles. These are minor implementations but they are a welcomed addition.

And about your "lack of control", finding new ways to play hardcore games are why Microsoft is building these studios. Moan all you want but at some point there will be better games would they be hardcore or not is all about fun and if Kinect doesn't bring fun to you then don't buy one...

Kinect is unproven, why should I assume these devs will make it work great with a game when there is no evidence that kinect can work well with a real game I don't know why everyone is so eager to take a leap of faith with kinect 

Lyrikalstylez said:
Squilliam said:

Stupid Microsoft. Why are they wasting money buying new studios when they can just steal games for themselves? Timed exclusivity FTW, this is BS.

Thats the problem and This is exactly the reason why I started to hate Ms and 360. It just pissed me off that a year later (or whatever the exclusive time)the same game would come out on ps3 but heres the thing.... not only was it ported but with extras also!!! B.S. in my opinion

More exclusives are needed or 360 will become irrelevant to me

It's better for the games industry that games aren't exclusive. Imagine how healthy the games industry would have been if half the money spent on multiple consoles was spent on games?

Tease.