By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--Red Dead Redemption

Fair score.

Just like GTA IV the game has its lovers, haters and those like me who simply thought it was nothing more than......Average.

Heres hoping that Rockstar can recapture that GTA: Vice City type magic with L.A. Noire.

Around the Network

7.89 is for sure low but it in no way should be higher than a 9 at the highest IMO.

Some of the fans of the game are over reacting. The people who've played it have spoken and thats that. Just because people disagree about it being great doesn't mean they are wrong.

The game is similar to GTA and all other Rockstar games. Some people love them, some people hate them. Its just all about preference.

7.89 is too high imo. Just for kicks, I'll give my review anyway.

Pros:

- Solid gameplay- Deadeye is a great idea and works really well.

- Voice acting and characters, particularly West Dickens and McDougal are great.

- The ending was good, although, I had to figure out on the internet that I hadn't actually beaten the game yet.

Cons:

- Boring sidequests. It's pretty interesting that "American Appetites" was the first side quest I did, because not only is it by far the most interesting, it actually misled me initially to think that this game was filled with great side content, which isn't the case. And plant collecting? Really Rockstar? You want me to collect plants? Seriously?

- The story. Half of this story is complete utter filler. I'm looking at you, Mexico, where maybe two of the ten quests you partake on there actually relate to the main plot, and not some crappy civil war that I couldn't care less about.

- Minigames. The only good one is horseshoes. Not exactly shocking, considering most of them in GTA IV were awful as well.

Overall: 5/10

In short, I felt like I got sold a different game by the marketing campaign than the one I actually bought. I've been burned by Rockstar twice this gen and am never buying any of their games close to full price again. I thought I would play this game 25-30 hours and ended up playing it about 10. It's pretty pathetic that for those 10 hours, about half of them were actually pertaining to the main story, while the other half is full of a filler story that has no bearing on Marston at all. I'm a huge fan of this game's source material, and I really felt like Rockstar let me down once again. LA Noire looks interesting, but like I said, I don't trust Rockstar at all and the fact that it's a week away from release and they've shown absolutely no gameplay footage makes me lol at them and their deceptive marketing once again.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

trasharmdsister12 said:

I got 8.196154 as the average.

You forgot to count yo_john's own score.

I got 8.24444444.

trasharmdsister12 said:
Ninpanda said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

I got 8.196154 as the average.

You forgot to count yo_john's own score.

I got 8.24444444.

I counted it. I've got 26 scores in my Excel spreadsheet. I just did a second count and don't think I've missed any.

If I counted right, there are 27 scores.

1. yo_john's (9.6)

2. Boutros' (9.3)

3. Dsister's (4.4)

4. Radiantshadow's (9.0)

5. Machina's (8.8)

6. Carl's (9.2)

7. Mirson's (2.0)

8. Sega4life's (10.0)

9. yours (8.3)

10. 4lc0h0l's (9.2)

11. Dr. Grass' (8.8)

12. Darth's (9.0)

13. Doobie_Wop's (3.0)

14. NotStan's (9.5)

15. Vashyo's (8.5)

16. chocoloco's (10.0)

17. Lostplanet's (9.2)

18. zgamer's (10.0)

19. milkyjoe's (9.0)

20. Shorty's (8.1)

21. non-gravity's (10.0)

22. mine (9.0)

23. croomz's (6.0)

24. Troll_whisperer's (8.0)

25. BenVTrigger's (8.7)

26. Ronster's (6.5)

See? That's... 26...

Around the Network

guys I recounted and I think we should all agree it's score is 8.91

well seriously I agree on trashharm's 8.196, which is funny really as it's just above GTA IV.

I don't understand why dsister, mirson and Doobie's votes are counted.

They break rule #2.

wow thats messed up =/

Boutros said:

I don't understand why dsister, mirson and Doobie's votes are counted.

They break rule #2.

How did I break rule #2? I was using 7 as an average. this game just really really sucked a lot

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Doobie_wop said:
d21lewis said:

- I know you can warp, but I like to travel in my games. Why should I have to warp in Red Dead, when I spend hours just running around in games like Oblivion, Fallout, Infamous, Saints Row, Just Cause 2 and so on. I rarely ever came across any of the scenarios you posed, I'd get the same repeated guy attacking a hooker, a few bandits and maybe my horse might get stuck in the geometry. It doesn't help that everything looks the same, riding a horse is boring and the distance between areas is ridiculous.

- The difference is that it's optional in games like Infamous, while it's a part of the main story in Red Dead. I did things for myself in Infamous, I don't have to help that random guy who's lost his cat.

- I just remember having trouble with it in a few certain spots, the map was designed for a GTA game, but it was applied to a universe with terrain that consists of cliffs, trenches and other forms of rough terrain and so the dot spots took more time than it should have to locate. It may have been just me though, but it basically uses the GTA map and I don't like GTA.

- A guy was about to kill a prostitute outside of the bar, I shot the guy, the town went nuts. I tried to be a nice guy, but being a nice guy is apparently limited to a get shot and then you can shoot mentality.

- You can't, it's stupid and you die on impact.

An opinion is an opinion, but I didn't lie about anything I said, Red Dead just isn't for everyone and just because the gaming press fawns over it's deep plot and voice acting, it doesn't mean that I have to love the game for those very same reasons.

Red Dead is a boring game, it's repititve because it doesn't have a compelling gameplay system and so every mission based around that boring they do have, just makes those missions boring as well. The reason why I can spend hours just jumping around in games like Red Faction, Infamous, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 and Prototype is because those games offered a compelling method of gameplay, Red Dead doesn't, it's just a bad third person shooter with high production values.

I also came across the same scenarios as you: bitch being slapped by a guy near the salon, guy asking for duel (which is dull) or some guy needing help from bandits. But because of the game's crap controls, I usually struggle controlling my horse, and the guy who needed help dies from the bandits. Whenever I successfully helped him, I got like $5 and very little respect, so yeah, I rather not help him at all. Nothing really interesting happened in my experience.

Also, major props to d21lewis for countering doobie's points instead of whining about the score.