By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--Red Dead Redemption

Barozi said:
snfr said:

Quality isn't really objective. And just like reviewers people in here give their own opinions about games, and we should treat them as something subjective, and not as a fact. Therefore I also think that complaining about reviews is silly, doesn't matter who wrote it.

OT: Haven't played it (yet) so I won't vote.

Giving the Game of the Year 2010 a 2 is just wrong. FACT.

Opinions can be wrong as well.

Not really. As long as other people's opinions are not trollish/fanboyish I wouldn't call any opinion wrong.

You also have to remember that not everyone rates games in the same way. I for example rate games based on how much I enjoyed playing them. On some people's scale 7.0 is still 'good', for other ones a 7.0 means 'mediocre', etc. That's why I don't really complain or even care about review scores or score's of other people.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

Good

-A addicting interesting story with some nice stuff you would not have expected and that makes you play more.
-Lot of stuff to do that take some time to complete.
- Multiplayer is fun and can be very addicting :).

Bad:

Farm missions are boring lucky their are not many of them still would have prefered not to do them.
- It can be a pain to ride from one end to the other an better fast travel option would have been welcome;

Doobie_wop said:

Pro's:

- Sometimes looks nice.

- Voice acting is sometimes good.

Con's:

- Travelling between areas is boring.  You can "warp" from place to place if it's boring.  And for me, pretty much any time I'm going from place to place, somebody commits suicide, a fight is breaking out on the side of the road, someone is being hung or executed, somebody tries to steal my horse, animals attack, or something.  I rarely ever warp because I don't know what I'm gonna miss.

- Your basically an errand boy for the whole game, just doing what everyone else tells you to do and then acting as if your a bad ass in the process.  Understandable but this is basically the structure of every sandbox game from inFamous to Grand Theft Auto to Spider-Man.

- The mission structure is broken and confusing. 

- The map is useless.  Tells you where everything is, from subplots to stores to people in need to where animals are.  It even has a "GPS" like Saints Row and GTA 4.  I don't know how the map could be much better.  Any suggestions?  I mean, it even tells me where unique plants and dead animals are when I get close!

- The respect system is fucked up. Girl gets kidnapped, you shoot kidnapper, the whole fucking town goes insane and tries to kill the rescuer.  I'm going for a high respect rating and the only time I got a negative respect (and nobody tried to kill me.  I just lost some points) was when I hog tied a guy's wife.  I've shot and killed horse theives, guys in the middle of a fight, guys riding through town shooting guns into the air, and pretty much anybody doing wrong without a single incident.  As long as I don't pick on a totally innocent person, its all good.

- Can't swim. What is this, 1993?  I haven't tried yet, tbh.

- Shooting mechanics aren't that great.

- Riding behind or with people before missions. Look, I know they want to be like old Westerns with this little trait, but old Westerns also only did it once or twice, not five times every eight missions.

- The environments look all the same for like the first six hours, it doesn't help that they already looked bland to begin with.

- Horse is just as glitchy as the horse in Oblivion, neither were very stable.

I give the game a 3/10. 

I know that your opinion is your opinion and I should just let it stand but some of the things you said are just plain wrong. 

The things that are opinion, I didn't agree with (which is why they're called opinions, I guess) but I'm sure the vast majority of the world would disagree with them.  Then again, I spent an hour playing "Horseshoes" last night.......

Barozi said:

meh I don't feel like posting my scores anymore.

When I see tons of people giving a game 10s even though it only should be in the 80s and others give highly acclaimed games ridiculous scores of 2 or 3 instead of 6-10, I just don't see why I should waste my time here.

Some of you guys just don't have any talent to judge quality and I guess you are also the people who complain about official reviews. One thing is clear, the fault lies with you and not the reviewers.

You're doing exactly the same.

Opinions (e.g. i love apple, I hate orange) can't be wrong. It's completely subjective.

Red Dead is an amazing game, it is my favorite by far. Great graphics, amazing storyline. I can't wait for Red Dead 2. Without a doubt 9.5 out of 10

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

- I know you can warp, but I like to travel in my games. Why should I have to warp in Red Dead, when I spend hours just running around in games like Oblivion, Fallout, Infamous, Saints Row, Just Cause 2 and so on. I rarely ever came across any of the scenarios you posed, I'd get the same repeated guy attacking a hooker, a few bandits and maybe my horse might get stuck in the geometry. It doesn't help that everything looks the same, riding a horse is boring and the distance between areas is ridiculous.

- The difference is that it's optional in games like Infamous, while it's a part of the main story in Red Dead. I did things for myself in Infamous, I don't have to help that random guy who's lost his cat.

- I just remember having trouble with it in a few certain spots, the map was designed for a GTA game, but it was applied to a universe with terrain that consists of cliffs, trenches and other forms of rough terrain and so the dot spots took more time than it should have to locate. It may have been just me though, but it basically uses the GTA map and I don't like GTA.

- A guy was about to kill a prostitute outside of the bar, I shot the guy, the town went nuts. I tried to be a nice guy, but being a nice guy is apparently limited to a get shot and then you can shoot mentality.

- You can't, it's stupid and you die on impact.

An opinion is an opinion, but I didn't lie about anything I said, Red Dead just isn't for everyone and just because the gaming press fawns over it's deep plot and voice acting, it doesn't mean that I have to love the game for those very same reasons.

Red Dead is a boring game, it's repititve because it doesn't have a compelling gameplay system and so every mission based around that boring they do have, just makes those missions boring as well. The reason why I can spend hours just jumping around in games like Red Faction, Infamous, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 and Prototype is because those games offered a compelling method of gameplay, Red Dead doesn't, it's just a bad third person shooter with high production values.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
d21lewis said:

- I know you can warp, but I like to travel in my games. Why should I have to warp in Red Dead, when I spend hours just running around in games like Oblivion, Fallout, Infamous, Saints Row, Just Cause 2 and so on. I rarely ever came across any of the scenarios you posed, I'd get the same repeated guy attacking a hooker, a few bandits and maybe my horse might get stuck in the geometry. It doesn't help that everything looks the same, riding a horse is boring and the distance between areas is ridiculous.

- The difference is that it's optional in games like Infamous, while it's a part of the main story in Red Dead. I did things for myself in Infamous, I don't have to help that random guy who's lost his cat.

- I just remember having trouble with it in a few certain spots, the map was designed for a GTA game, but it was applied to a universe with terrain that consists of cliffs, trenches and other forms of rough terrain and so the dot spots took more time than it should have to locate. It may have been just me though, but it basically uses the GTA map and I don't like GTA.

- A guy was about to kill a prostitute outside of the bar, I shot the guy, the town went nuts. I tried to be a nice guy, but being a nice guy is apparently limited to a get shot and then you can shoot mentality.

An opinion is an opinion, but I didn't lie about anything I said, Red Dead just isn't for everyone and just because the gaming press fawns over it's deep plot and voice acting, it doesn't mean that I have to love the game for those very same reasons.

Red Dead is a boring game, it's repititve because it doesn't have a compelling gameplay system and so every mission based around that boring they do have, just makes those missions boring as well. The reason why I can spend hours just jumping around in games like Red Faction, Infamous, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 and Prototype is because those games offered a compelling method of gameplay, Red Dead doesn't, it's just a bad third person shooter with high production values.

*I was just reading your reply and somehow, I quoted it!!*

Anyway, to each his own.  I did shoot that same guy ("No whore is gonna cheat me outta my money!!") without incident, and I'm about six hours in.  John Marsden's main missions are all for his personal gain and the optional ones are the ones where he's been running around like an errand boy.  Maybe it's my lower expectations or something (see my first post in this thread) but I just can't agree with you about this one.  Carry on.

d21lewis said:
Doobie_wop said:
d21lewis said:

I think something happened, nothings showing up on my end.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

10/10

great story, lots of things to do, great horseback riding. and addicting multiplayer.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

RDR has a fair few flaws, most of which have been covered in the thread already so I'll just touch upon a couple of them. The game did drag a little in Mexico and your morality practically went out the window for most of this period, and getting around the map can be a little slow (but then I'd counter by saying you're running around wild terrain barely touched by the advances of man, I'd expect it to be a little hard going).

But it's just too good to hate because of any flaw. When you're out in the wild exploring on your horse, be it to look for a specific flower or to hunt a specific animal or just because you feel like exploring, there's a true sense that you are actually in the wild. Sure, it got annoying when yet another woman pops up in the middle of nowhere wanting your help, but that's countered by random moments when you're taking a moment to admire something within the game world only to suddenly hear something coming at you, and the next thing you know you've got a dead horse you're fighting off a bear or a cougar.

Hunting for bear also provided one of my most memorable moments in gaming, as one of the optional hunting missions has you attempt to hunt down a bear with your knife, so off I went into the woods, I found a bear, snuck up on it, and stabbed it a few times with my knife. It promptly ran away, so I chased it on foot, ran alongside it and stabbed it some more. It kept running, I kept running alongside, I kept stabbing it. It eventually went down after a few minutes of all this, I took it's skin, turned around and saw two more running at me...

9/10

VGChartz