By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar Made L.A. Noire So Big, They Could Barely Fit It On One Disc

Skeeuk said:

so its 3 disks on 360? is there any back tracking in game? il be getting it on ps3 anyways

I recall the game is going to be something like 80% cut scenes and 20% player interaction and flow linearly throughout the game.  It isn't going to be a sandbox, but adjust based on what you do in the game.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/04/26/la-noire-lets-casual-players-skip-the-hard-parts/

Perhaps the reason for this is that 80% of "LA Noire" is an absence of action. It's about talking to suspects, finding evidence, uncovering a mystery. The hour-long case demonstrated at the screening had maybe five minutes of typical action. Players looking for the next "GTA" will find that "LA Noire" is even slower and more methodical than "Heavy Rain."

Consider it to be a prime example of interactive fiction.

Around the Network

a single layer bluray disc can hold 33gb. don't know if the 33gb were ever made a standard or if there was ever a firmware update to let the players read them. 

apparently sony where going to suggest the new standard to the Bluray Disc Association, but I don't think anything has happened and the article was form slightly more than a year ago. kind of dissapointing considering a number of developers are reaching the 25gb and not thinking its worth the second layer.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/bluray_disc_capacity_set_jump_25gb_33gb_layer

edit: think it was in the 3d update, because this movie is supposedly on a 33gb disc.

http://www.3dsbs.com/full-blu-ray-discs-vc1-1080p-720p-iso-bluray/55-sanctum-2011-bluray-3d-1080p-full-iso-33gb-version.html

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

dsister said:
LivingMetal said:

So.  We're discussing more than just the title.  Where have you been?

Fine, lets discuss the article itself. 

Nsanity said: 

The forthcoming game about being a detective in 1947 Los Angeles fills a single-layer, 25 GB Blu-Ray disc on the PlayStation 3.

twist that!

Didn't say "fills up" nor did it say "completely fills."  The thread says "barely" which means "almost."  But who cares?  You?

I bet Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be on 2 or more blu-ray discs.

rccsetzer said:

doubt it very much. they can put many layers on bluray discs. I believe that there it is posible to use 16 layers. TDK and pioneer did some research into it and apparently they will run on the ps3 as well. 16*25=400gb.  If they done what I said in my previous post that would be 16*33=528gb. quite alot. of course the 16 layer disc would be in ruins very easily.  the layers that aren't being used are protecting the one's that are. that is why it is harder to damage a bluray than it is to damage a dvd.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias

Around the Network
9009pc said:
rccsetzer said:

doubt it very much. they can put many layers on bluray discs. I believe that there it is posible to use 16 layers. TDK and pioneer did some research into it and apparently they will run on the ps3 as well. 16*25=400gb.  If they done what I said in my previous post that would be 16*33=528gb. quite alot. of course the 16 layer disc would be in ruins very easily.  the layers that aren't being used are protecting the one's that are. that is why it is harder to damage a bluray than it is to damage a dvd.

I'm not sure about this but... I think the PS3 can only read up to 2-layered BD's. That's a max of 50GB... maybe the PS4 will be able to read Blu-Ray's with more than 2 layers.

By the way, I believe Final Fantasy XIII uses 44GB of a dual layered BD. If Versus XIII has double the content/cutscenes Final Fantasy XIII had, it will need 88GB and could very well be on 2 Blu-Ray Discs.

That would be so awesome :D

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

LivingMetal said:

Really?  I didn't see anything about "severely interrupt" in the orginal source.  You mean the original article?

Yes, I read it from the original article, often times referred to as the original source.

LivingMetal said:

Didn't say "fills up" nor did it say "completely fills."  The thread says "barely" which means "almost."  But who cares?  You?

Fill: To supply or provide to the fullest extent

You are arguing semantics here, an argument where the dictionaries are on my side...

Just wondering, are you from Quebec? 

Edit: Didn't you just jump on me for quoting the title of the thread? And you are arguing against a quote from the OP... 

LivingMetal said:

So.  We're discussing more than just the title.  Where have you been?

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Jdevil3 said:
9009pc said:
rccsetzer said:

I'm not sure about this but... I think the PS3 can only read up to 2-layered BD's. That's a max of 50GB... maybe the PS4 will be able to read Blu-Ray's with more than 2 layers.

By the way, I believe Final Fantasy XIII uses 44GB of a dual layered BD. If Versus XIII has double the content/cutscenes Final Fantasy XIII had, it will need 88GB and could very well be on 2 Blu-Ray Discs.

That would be so awesome :D

oh just out of curiosity. do you say this based of your own opinion or did you read it somewhere. I will admit I want ps3 to be able read these disc but I can source articles that says they work on existing BD players, but I don't know much about how reputable the sources are. so if you have any sources contradicting my sources or reason to believe they are wrong I will like to hear/read them. if it is no bother.

here is my source, this is actually the first time I tracked down the original source but here it is.
http://digitimes.com/news/a20081201PD212.html

"The technology of the super multi-layer read-only disc is based on Blu-ray Disc (BD) with a breakthrough in material of reflective layers, according to Pioneer High Fidelity Taiwan. The specifications of the pick-up head (PUH) of the disc is the same as those for the PUH of blank BD discs, and therefore the Pioneer discs can be read on BD players".

in other words the tech is in the disc and not the reader so all older readers will be able to read it with the right software.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias

btw this is single player-only game,so it should be perfect for PS3

OP Quickly highlight the parts that make Xbox look bad! 

Who gives a fuck if its one or 2 disc? If the game is fun, i couldnt give a shit.