Forums - General Discussion - Water boarding and Gitmo

Water boarding and Gitmo

torture 16 66.67%

not torture 3 12.50%

we tortured our own soldiers 2 8.33%

see results 2 8.33%

Total:23

So now that the US had killed Osama.

we now find out that why got vital intel, about Bin Ladens currier from KSM.

this info was instrumental in finding and killing Osama.

furthermore we got additional inteligence from other detainees in Gitmo by water boarding them.

So it turns out both of these things were very efective in the war on terror.

But now that US has designated waterboarding as torture (as well as putting catapillars on people), even though the military used to use this, to train our soldiers.

So apparently we not only tortured people like KSM, but we tortured our own soldiers.

so the question is: Is waterboading torture? and should we reconsider using these "enhanced intoragation methods"

Around the Network

Do we actually know that?  Haven't seen that anywhere.

Kasz216 said:

Chairmen of the house commitee on Homeland security, Peter King. as well as other sources have prooved it.

if it was torture when your enemy did it to your soldiers, the passage of a few years certainly shouldnt make it not torture. 

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:

if it was torture when your enemy did it to your soldiers, the passage of a few years certainly shouldnt make it not torture. 

if in fact the terrorists waterboarded our soldiers, that was the least of their worries.

waterboaarding is nothing compared to the horrific tortures and maiming that they did to our men. 

the terrorists actually did torture, you know the kind that causes actual physical damage to you.

waterboarding is just emotional damage.

by the way, the picture in the OP, is one of our military men voluntarily undergoing waterboading. performed by a superior officer

Around the Network
osamanobama said:
Kasz216 said:

Chairmen of the house commitee on Homeland security, Peter King. as well as other sources have prooved it.

I would probably wait for some more information to come out because the current information thats been presented is contradictory.

"Prisoners in American custody told stories of a trusted courier. When the Americans ran the man’s pseudonym past two top-level detainees — the chief planner of the Sept. 11 attacks, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed; and Al Qaeda’s operational chief, Abu Faraj al-Libi — the men claimed never to have heard his name. That raised suspicions among interrogators that the two detainees were lying and that the courier probably was an important figure."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/world/asia/03intel.html?src=me&ref=world

This information directly conflicts with Peter King's interview. This quote makes it seem that KSM and Libi verified the information, but they verfied the information by lying. If this is the case, water-boarding does not seem to be as useful because it did not lead to the disclosure of true information.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/us/politics/04torture.html?ref=world- this is also a pretty good article discussing the timeline and debate about water-boarding.

GameOver22 said:
osamanobama said:
Kasz216 said:

I would probably wait for some more information to come out because the current information thats been presented is contradictory.

"Prisoners in American custody told stories of a trusted courier. When the Americans ran the man’s pseudonym past two top-level detainees — the chief planner of the Sept. 11 attacks, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed; and Al Qaeda’s operational chief, Abu Faraj al-Libi — the men claimed never to have heard his name. That raised suspicions among interrogators that the two detainees were lying and that the courier probably was an important figure."

This information directly conflicts with Peter King's interview. This quote makes it seem that KSM and Libi verified the information, but they verfied the information by lying. If this is the case, water-boarding does not seem to be as useful because it did not lead to the disclosure of true information.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/us/politics/04torture.html?ref=world- this is also a pretty good article discussing the timeline and debate about water-boarding.

the got his suddoname from it.

also director of CIA Leon Penetta confirmed it was used, as well as former head of the CIA task force on Osama Bin Laden confirmed they got vital intel from using IET's. meaning the curriers name, which they were able to eventually get his real name, and then location.

osamanobama said:
GameOver22 said:

the got his suddoname from it.

also director of CIA Leon Penetta confirmed it was used, as well as former head of the CIA task force on Osama Bin Laden confirmed they got vital intel from using IET's. meaning the curriers name, which they were able to eventually get his real name, and then location.

I would still wait for more info. The question isn't really whether it was used. The question is whether new information was received by using it. It seems that the psedoname was acquired through some form of intense-interrogation (highly possible this means water-boarding), but the reporting by nytimes still directly conflicts with Peter King's interview (they give very different accounts of how successful the water-boarding of KSM and Libi were).

osamanobama said:
MrBubbles said:

if in fact the terrorists waterboarded our soldiers, that was the least of their worries.

waterboaarding is nothing compared to the horrific tortures and maiming that they did to our men. 

the terrorists actually did torture, you know the kind that causes actual physical damage to you.

by the way, the picture in the OP, is one of our military men voluntarily undergoing waterboading. performed by a superior officer

so basically drowning someone repeatedly is emotional damage? I;d say its physical torture.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
osamanobama said:
MrBubbles said:

so basically drowning someone repeatedly is emotional damage? I;d say its physical torture.

so the US miliary drowned their own soldiers?

no gets drowned, it makes you feel like your drowning, causing a state of panic almost instantly.

no physical damage is done at all. after it happens, you are still perfectly heathy, body as heathy as it was before. no damage whatsoever. the only thing it does is cause fear and panic. you arent hurt at all. thats why there are people who volunter to have this done to them